Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Birth Control Pills

I was wondering if anyone would mind talking about their experiences with birth control pills?

I only ask because I'm wondering how birth control pills mess with our weight and especially those of us that have low thyroid also?

I have been taking birth control pills on and off for 25 years. They are low dose but I have concerns about them, even tho my doctor always explains that the side effects of low dose birth control pills are very minimal.

Yesterday I was doing some reading and it explained that birth control pills can cause insulin levels to increase which make you hungry all the time (which I am) and I was just wondering how they might interact with a low thyroid condition.

One of the main things I read was about weight gain and fluid retention on the pill. The thing that I read that really bothered me said …

"Any weight gain after starting pills of more than 5% of body weight may be a signal of a woman's tendency toward insulin resistance or abnormal glucose metabolism. With this amount of weight gain associated with an oral contraceptive, I would suggest the woman be evaluated for possible insulin resistance. If this condition is present, she will have to adopt a low carbohydrate diet. Simple sugars in any amount and high carbohydrate only snacks or meals will negate all other dieting efforts on a daily basis and frustrate any long term ability at weight control."

That last sentence really bothers me - maybe ALL my dieting efforts are being "NEGATED" by the little bit of sugar or carbs that I eat???

I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the subject?

thanks,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #2  

Default Birth control & South Beach Diet

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm struggling, too. I have been taking birth control pills for about 6 years now, due to the fact that I've been diagnosed with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome. I went off of them for about 6 months last year and I lost nearly 50 lbs. (I was working out daily and eating very healthy, but had steamed rice with nearly every meal.) In May of last year, I started taking the pill again because I was having severe cramping and heavy menstrual cycles. My weight loss stalled considerably and, by the end of the year, I had gained all of the weight back and more. However, I also started a new job and was unable to go to the gym as often. I eventually quit going altogether.

I started the South Beach Diet 2 weeks ago and have been very strict with it. According to the book and everyone I've talked to about it, I should have lost 8 - 13 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I've lost 3. And, my weight just won't budge. Could this be a result of the birth control? I really have NOT cheated on this diet.

Any suggestions?
JazzDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #3  

Hi JazzDiva,

thanks for replying to my question! I am having the same type of problems with my weight, but I do have a low thryoid so that may be more the problem then the birth control pills, but I feel that the pill certainly can't be helping.

In spite of dieting (eating healthy) and exercising I have gained 10 lbs each year for the past 3 years and it is sooooooooo discouraging.

I tried WW (which I love) for 5 months and lost 2 lbs. I tried Atkins the beginning of this year, and even tho I kept my carb grams to around 20, I gained 4 lbs in 6 weeks. grrrrrrr I have to count calories and anything over 1200 calories a day I gain weight.

At this point I do not know what it will take for me to lose weight.... I am eating 1200 calories a day, over 100 oz of water, and exercising like crazy (walked 45 miles last month and added 2 or 3 weekly strength training sessions per week). I am exhausted LOL. But I am hoping to up my armour thryoid and also plan to get off the pill at the end of this month and see how I feel after 3 months.

I certainly understand what you are talking about.

take care,
Cathy
Old 07-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #4  

Hi Cathy,

How frustrating!! Have you spoken to a doctor about the birth control? I've been wondering all weekend if that was my problem. I take ortho-cyclen. I'm wondering if a different kind would help, but I'm beginning to think it's just not a good combination.

I'd almost rather have the pcos issues than to carry around 75+lbs of fat!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 AM   #5  

Hey JazzDiva,

yes I've talked to my gynecologist and my doc that is treating me for low thyroid. They both said that the pill is so low dose now that maybe the pill would cause a 5 lb initial weight gain in some people, but shouldn't cause anything more than that. Both don't feel that it should make me retain fluid, or crave sugar, or be hungry all the time, or keep me from losing weight, BUT I have read so many stories lately about people that said that was not the case for them.

On the 21 days I take the pills I am STARVING and try to keep my calories to 1200. On the 7 days I am off the pills I have very little problem only eating 1000 calories so there has got to be a difference in my appetite?

Like I said, I'm gonna get off of them for 3 months and see how it goes and will decide at that point what to do about taking them or not. I'm almost 45 and ready to be off of them anyway, but I certainly don't want to get pregnant at my age either I am scared to be on them and scared to be off

What issues do you have with PCOS that the pill helps with?

Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-06-2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #6  

Well, I'm not on them for "recreational" purposes. (Ya gotta play to win!) But, I have very heavy periods with severe cramping. But, I think I'm going to try going off after this month and see what happens.

I feel like I never get enough to eat, unless I've gorged myself and am about to throw up! I have absolutely no will power anymore.

It will be interesting to see what happens!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:52 PM   #7  
pocho032003

OMG I did not know that birth control pills increase insulin and make you hungry. I am insulin resistant and I have gained weight I thought it was just me. I hate my birth control pills and I stopped taking like a week ago. They make me feel weird and give me high blood pressure. And they are a very low dose. My doctor said I am aloud to stay off of them for right now. Until I get a different pill. I have been taking them for about a year and half.
Theresa
pocho032003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #8  

Theresa,

It will be interesting to see your results now that you're off the pill. Keep us posted.