Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-26-2004, 03:18 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default that *&#@* PCP!!!!!

yes,folks. this is a rant. the PCP is this little tiny woman who has never had a weight problem in her life. and she's been GENERALLY supportive, although quite clueless in a number of areas.

and she had me in tears after i left her this morning.

at the last visit in march, i weighed 242, a gain [obviously] and she yelled at me for not keeping my weight steady and 'obviously' i was eating too much. and i had to do something.

soooo i went to the dietician, who said that with what i'm eating, i should still be losing, and the problem was the insulin resistance, and started planning ways to deal with this.

the keys - and i've discussed them in several places on 3fc -are: small amounts of low glycemic carbs, eating every 4 hours, a little less protein, more veggies.

and overall, except for the meltdown, it's been going pretty well...

and i've lost8 pounds !!!! i'm down to 234.which is fine. and the doc is thrilled.

and she asked: what has changed. what i've cut out of my diet.

and so, i told her about the insulin resistance, and that i was eating on a schedule - every 4 hours- and that i'm actually eating MORE than i had been. her response: THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE. YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT BY EATING ON A SCHEDULE AND EATING MORE.

and then i said that she had asked me what had changed. and i was telling her that these were the changes. that i was eating on a schedule and eating more veggies and more carbs <and she asked 'what did i mean by CARBS and i told her that i've become especially fond of wasa crackers!!!!>. and she wasn't happy.

i did admit that i was eating a little less protein, and then told her what had happened without the proten shake and that trish had upped the protein because i probably need it. and she STILL wasn't happy.

AND THEN. the last straw: i said that i was told to cut back a little on the exercise while we were tweaking this because i could not sustain the heavy weight workouts on the same schedule with what i'm eating.

she was not happy.

SO. bottom line... she thinks i'm screwing up!!!! and WE ALL KNOW THAT I'M NOT!!!!!! HOW DARE SHE???!!!!!!!

yes. i need a new PCP, but she has to help me get the plastic surgery....
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:59 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh Jiff, she SUCKS !!! take me with you next time, I'll pop a few of her tires.

Sounds like to me you are doing the right thing and CONGRATS on losing the 8 lbs. Sheeeesh, it just goes to show you that skinny people CAN NOT relate. Just remember she's not the only doctor around, you can and will find one who's more understanding and caring (screw her and her little horse she rode in on) grrrrrr.

Just remember you can run circles around her skinny a$$ any day of the week with the knowledge you have

Hugs to you !!!!

You go girl, and keep up the fantastic work, my hero !!!

Love Yah !

Leens
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #3  

Awww, Jiffypop, ((((((( hugs ))))))) that bites. This doc is just being a total *** and a half. A lot of them are, what can I say. But once in a while you find a good one, and that may be what you need to do now. You need to decide if the work and stress of having to educate your own doctor is worth the possibility of her getting you the plastic surgery. One thing I would strongly suggest: see if your dietician can duke it out with the doc. And then if the doc is still being a &%$#@*, maybe the dietician can recommend another doctor who's more in tune with modern thought. I honestly think this one has no clue about the latest info on nutrition at all. So $@^#% her and the horse's %^&@ she rode in on. Mean doctor's suck!!!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:44 PM   #4  
Meg

You know, Jiffy, it's kind of a no-brainer when you stop and think about it. Weight loss = good. Weight gain = bad. Ergo, weight gain means need to make changes; weight loss means doing something right. It's not exactly rocket science now, is it? Keep on doing what you're doing -- it's WORKING and that's all that counts.

Did you talk with her about the tiredness?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

leenie.. on the second level of that medical office building across from the shoprite on post road [near portobello's]. in the middle office. the black mercedes.

and thank you all for the warmth.

meg.. i did indeed tell her about the fatigue. and what we did about it and how it was working. she didn't buy into the whole 'fried my body due to overtraining and hypoglycemia' theory, but she sure wasn't interested in doing any other thinking about it!!!!

she has no email. at least not one that she's sharing [but i DO know where she lives!!!!] i sent an email to the head of the center where i go, and to the dietician. the executive director is FUMING even though she's in barb [ageoldie's] neck of the woods at baylor [training nurses and docs], and has promised to find me a much more human PCP.

it'll get better. and in the meantime, as meg says: IT'S WORKING and i feel well. so i'll keep going with it.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:14 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jiff, my pcp and dentist is located there, consider it done bodda bing bodda boom
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:31 AM   #7  

Jiff
Have the dietitian call the doctor for a consult. I work with a dietitian weekly at the nursing home. They will tell you that doctors are not educated in nutrition. It is not thier speciality. Let the dietitian fight this fight.! Most of them are up for this ! Mine enjoys this kind of thing! Gets her gander up when the doctor disagrees with her, without and reason for it!
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #8  

Leenie!!!!! wait for me....I wanna come too!!!!

I hate her. jiff's pc that is.

I know where she lives.

Her house is haunted.

I think she is possessed.

she wears a rat on her head.

and....she looks like her feet hurt all of the time.

I'm done

I think

peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

it's those 4-inch heels she wears all the time.

and the dietician had an interesting take on it. she called today to make sure i was OK, by the way, and gave me all sorts of encouragement [note to mistyseas - yes.. go see this one. she's a winner]

oh wait, the interesting take. she asked me if this had set me off on a binge. and i told that it had not, that since the surgery when i'm this upset, i can't eat. nothing will stay down and i just can't force it. she was glad about that, but also pointed out that many people, in the face of such strong emotion and stress, would have binged. and her point was that this woman is probably doing a whole lot of major harm to her patients...

and she's right!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Geez Jiff , Your damned if you do and damned if you don't ... I don't think that PCP would be happy with anything you do... What is she expecting you to do to lose weight, starve and puke, instead of eating a steady healthy flow of food that keeps your insulin at a steady level!!! Most, if not all docs have no clue when it comes to nutrition...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:20 PM   #11  
Hang In There

Hey Jiff, what do you need a PCP for? You've got all of us!!! We are here for you even if your doc isn't/ Maybe she's jealous!!! after all you are a radio star!!! Seriously, I agree that most docs really don't know much about nutrition.

Tell me more about the person who is at Baylor. That is MY hospital and ole Alvin's surgeon was Dr Todd McCarty who is now the head of the Baylor Weightloss Surgery Center. The health club I go to is part of the Baylor Hospital (not the college)campus. Why didn't you find an excuse to come with them? Don't they need a poster child for WLS? You would sure be it in my book!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:55 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

oh barb... ALVIN is the poster child!!! and i'll find out where she went. but a visit to texas... hmmmmm. an attractive idea. in the winter. i've actually been toying with the idea of a dude ranch, since i've never been on a horse. but somehow i have the idea that they're overrated...

whadday think??????
Old 06-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #13  

Och Jiffy...I'm so sorry that you've had to put up with this *&@!...
I am sending very bad thoughts across the sea to that horrid woman and waves of peace, serenity, joy and KINDNESS (read your other post and am thinking about my reply...I couldn't agree more) to JOISY (is that right?!?)...
Have a better day tomorrow and just keep on keepin' on...
Love
Heather
p.s. 8lbs..fabulous!!
heatherbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #14  

Me again!! I've got it! Send for Chickadee...we need those flying monkeys!!
H
heatherbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:58 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

heather.., i LOVE the way you think!!!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!!