Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #1  

Default Guggulbolic ??? Thyroid???

Hi, I am thinking of trying Guggulbolic by syntrax. I do feel cold most of the time. I guess I am low in thyroid. anyone tried syntrax Guggulbolic ? Any suggestion? IS it close to Ephedra? I am scared too.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:27 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

IMO, if you think your thyroid is low, you should have it checked out by an MD (either your PCP or an endocrinologist) before you start to self-medicate.

I do remember that when I was losing the bulk of my weight, I WAS cold a lot of the time...one of the things that helped (besides wearing sweaters a lot) was increasing my iron intake. That might help you as well.

I've heard of this supplement but don't know much about it. I checked Supplementwatch.com and they have nothing listed as yet (unless the active ingredient is known by another name).

The thing is...those pills don't work. If weight loss came in a pill, we would ALL be thin. The most you can hope for is a temporary 'band-aid' effect. You need to make a lifestyle change through nutrition and exercise - PERMANENT changes. A pill just doesn't cut it, no matter what the marketing geniuses tell you. Unfortunately, there is no 'easy way' to lose weight...
Old 05-24-2004, 07:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

EXACTLY!!! Mrs Jim hit the nail on the head!! Weight loss does not come in a magic pill, it comes from hard work and good nutrition. Buckle down, get yourself a nutritious eating plan that you can live with, get into an exercise plan and off you go I bet you start seeing results immediately and you'll feel them too!! Getting healthy and losing weight has no BAD side effects, only good! I wish you good luck on your journey.
Michelle
Old 05-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #4  
it's always something

Berkeley reports this as being investigated for lowering blood cholesterol, but makes no mention of weight loss. The only reference to thyroid is in the warning:
Quote:
Pregnant women and people with thyroid disorders, as well as those on medications such as calcium channel blockers, should not take guggulipid, nor should women with menstrual problems. Possible side effects include excessive menstrual bleeding. Digestive disorders, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, have also been reported.
One bad thing that I've noticed is a lot of supplements claim that they improve thyroid function and thereby increase weight loss, which is actually quite scary. Like MrsJim said, you should have your thyroid checked if you think there is a problem. It can be done by a simple blood test. You don't want to mess with your thyroid. While I know nothing about guggulipid, something that comes to mind is a warning against using kelp to improve thyroid for the following reason, which is from our supplement guide:

Quote:
Kelp in a weight loss supplement is supposed to provide iodine, which is claimed to stimulate the thyroid gland and possibly increase metabolism. The use of iodine to treat thyroid disorders should be under advisement of a physician. According to WebMd, "But excess supplementation of iodine like with health-food supplements can lead to an accelerated hypothyroid state. Although it is true that the thyroid uses iodine to make thyroid hormone, in excess amounts you will shut down and scar your thyroid gland. This character of iodine excess is used as treatment for hyperthyroidism. In a hyperthyroid patient, to quickly make them hypothyroid, excess iodine is frequently used. " Therefore, treating yourself with kelp or iodine supplements may have the opposite effect of what you hoped for!
It's always better to see a physician to determine if you have a physical reason for being overweight or problems losing. We may think that natural supplements can only be beneficial and/or harmless, but they can be quite dangerous and it's for a physician to recommend and monitor your usage, if you do take anything. The claims on the bottles do not have to be proven or substantiated, unless they claim to cure cancer or some equally bold medical claim. The manufacturers can tell you anything they want, so never go by what they say. Do research, looking towards reputable medical resources and never rely on what the manufacturer tells you. Their only goal is to make a sale.
Closed Thread