Old 05-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Smile Depressed and overcoming

It's been a rough week so far. They closed two plants that are directly related to my plant and they are getting rid of 4 programmers in my plant. I think I will be safe but you never know about these things.

Yesterday was one of those busy days where I just had to keep going at work. That is one of my triggers. I get off work and tell myself I really deserve a treat. This usually consists of 4 cheeseburgers if not more. I was really feeling depressed last night also. I made it though. I came home and had a Boca sausage sandwich and went to bed. I am still feeling a little depressed but not near as much as if I would have eaten all those cheeseburgers.

This is a big step for me. I have to teach myself not to turn to food. It feels good to know I can overcome this type of situation. It has been 2 1/2 weeks since I have binged. I've gone over my calories but it has been planed and controlled to not be a binge.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #2  
Crazy Canuck

That wasn't a small step Howie, it was a giant leap. It's difficult enough resisting unwise food choices when you're in the best of moods, let alone resist those strong urges to use food for comfort. Good for you! And as you say, even though you may still be feeling somewhat depressed today, it's a whole lot less than you would have had you succumbed to the temporary comfort of 4 cheeseburgers and the likely resulting binge. I really give you credit.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:31 PM   #3  
Born Loser

Thanks Jill, it is a pretty big step for me. I hope I can keep it up. As the day goes on I'm coming out of my funk.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

dude awesome step really huge. i know all about resisting temptation i gave up chocolate for 12 months easy way is saying i'll put this down today but tomorrow i can have as much as i want then the next day do the same summat i gained from watching a docu on the Alcoholics annoymous if they can use it so can we and i did eventually i would look at chocolate with disghust took about 6 weeks to deprogram myself though not a short term thing but effective
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #5  
Born Loser

That's a cool idea Si. I will have to give that a try. I don't know if I can lie to myself that way though, without knowing it's just a put on. But maybe it will work.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:42 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Howie - what a HUGE step. I too am a HUGE emotional eater. After all, I deserve it right?? I think we both know that it's all mental. And every time we can learn how to overcome the evil minds games we play with ourselves, that's tremendous!!

WAY TO GO!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #7  
Losin It For GOOD!

Howie, that is a GREAT! step! I am really proud of you. emotional eating is a huge thing for me too... so I am hoping that we can continue to share with each other about ways to combat it. WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!!! (((hugs)))
BA99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Woohoo that is so good that you did not give in. That just makes you one setp closer to your goal.
Since you are still programmed to think you need a reward for a rough day why not find a hobby you like (that doesn't invovle food) and support it. I know many women (and some men) scrapbook. but I'm sure there's something out you enjoy doing that you could get a new one of in your hobby.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:53 AM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Good for you not having the cheeseburgers! Planning it out is the way to go.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:39 AM   #10  
Born Loser

You know I've been planing on going to Ralleys this week. (Burger Joint here in OH) I'm finding out that I don't really have a craving for cheeseburgers any more. Yes I still get the urge to binge but I don't really think yum that will be so good. I had a cheeseburger at McDonalds a week ago and it did not even bring the same pleasure as it once did. All I could think is how unhealthy it is and how many calories I just wasted. So instead I went to subway and got a roast beef loaded with veggies. Now that was a big YUM! I told my wife I think I will stay away from cheeseburgers for awhile and then if I really want one I will but still within my plan.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #11  

hey Howie, just wanted to shared my beating the junk food cravings story.....about 14 months ago I decided to stop eating processed food, mainly for health reasons. I found that after a very short while, I really didn't want junk food, and I have pretty much stayed away from it since. Personally, I think its addictive - the more you have the more you want.....and the less you have the less you want. Sounds easy to say, I know. But I've also found that reading the ingredients list puts me off entirely - why would you want all that rubbish in your body?

so keep on munching those subway sandwiches!
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #12  

You know, after I have one of those "normally I would binge on food but this time I'm eating more sensibly" moments, I always feel like I should get a medal. Seriously! One of these days I want a medal for the bag of Starburst jelly beans and cheese steak and fries I didn't eat at the Pittsburgh airport last week. I was stranded for about 6 hours over the afternoon and dinner hour, and work had been stressful, and the delays and cancelled flights were annoying. I ended up going to T.G.I.Friday's for a veggie burger and side salad combo.

So when do I get my medal? I'll share! Howie gets one, and everyone else with similar stories. I mean, looking at it, it seems silly that not binging at a trigger is a big deal, but... well, it's a big deal.
Scuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #13  

I looked and looked and I couldnt find a medal icon but I agree that not caving to a trigger is a MAJOR step to long term weightloss. Congrats to both of you!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:33 AM   #14  

I definitely think you deserve a medal.....both of you......
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #15  
Born Loser

Ok I found a medal for us. Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medal.jpg (3.6 KB, 16 views)