Old 05-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #1  

Default New to this website/forum & Atkins question

Hi all,

I wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I just started Atkins 6 days ago and was hoping to find a weight loss support community. You all seem really nice and supportive-- I hope you don't mind if I join you.

I think I'm doing pretty well on Atkins. I want to lose 32 pounds (152 was my starting weight; I'm at 146 now, though I guess a lot of that loss was water.) I'm coming into this with a desire to change my lifestyle, and I've done my homework-- I've read the Atkins rules carefully, and I've read the FAQs on this forum which were very, very helpful.

I guess my question is this: I'm in induction and I don't miss carbs at all, mainly because I am so motivated right now. I'm following the rules (as I said) and am losing weight. However, I understand that the weight loss will probably slow down significantly in weeks 4,5,6. If I stay in induction until I'm happy with my weight (10 weeks? 20 weeks?), will that prevent a stall from happening? (In other words, do people who stall on Atkins tend to do so because they are transitioning and adding some carbs back into their diets?)

Thanks for your help.
tenacious k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:48 PM   #2  
Somethin's gotta give

tk-welcome! this is a great groupI think that eventually a slow down is a probability....but the thing is...if you think this is a diet...then expect not to do well...this is a way of life from now on...and you will lose regardless if you keep that attitude...if you think you can stop and go back to the normal way of eating....thats not what this is about....I know everyone (including me) wants to get this weight off fast...but even if it does slow down...its still a loss and its still working.....good luck!
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

T K - Welcome! Most everyone slows down after the first few weeks. But you will do well! Good Luck!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:27 AM   #4  

T K: Welcome. Join us on our daily thread when you can.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

TK. Best advice is make sure to measure yourself. Even if the (stupid) scale doesn't go down the inches could still be melting off. Not everyone that stays on induction continues to lose weight. At least not as fast. Everyone's body handles this different. Welcome and join in everywhere
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:53 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WELCOME TK !!!!

There are many reasons for stalling, sugar alcohols rings a bell with me. Also I stalled and keep stalling b/c my calories are to high. PLUS I don't exercise, I know I know bad leenie.

Brenda is right, you should measure yourself b/c even if you don't lose weight you could be losing inches !! how neat is that.

HUGS and good luck !
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:05 AM   #7  
The Princess O' Pets

Welcome TK Gald to meet you and jump right in on any thread you wish! We welcome and love to have new members.

Stalls happen regardless, you can stay on induction as long as you want but it won't prevent the dreaded stall, but I kinda look forward to a stall now myself because with the stall you get the WHOOSH, it seems if you are working hard and still in a stall it is like your body is "re-configuring" and then BOOM you wake up and the scale is down like 5 pounds overnight. So just keep OP and don't worry about the stall.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #8  

Default thanks everyone!

I appreciate all the great advice and support. It's good to talk to real people who have done so well with Atkins-- it give me a lot of hope for myself.
tenacious k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #9  

Welcome to the boards! You'll find losts of supportive people here. You'll find lots of sites for low carb recipies, but most don't really offer the support. Keep it up, it will happen and when you stall, start looking at your calorie intak as well. I have found , I can keep my carbs unders 20 and still gain weight if I don't watch my fat intake also.

Marie is right, it's not a diet, it's a way of life and becomes habit after a while. Come into the daily talk each day also.
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #10  
Baby Steps

My WHOOSH is more like a oosh. I usually only lose a pound.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote