South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:14 PM   #1  

Smile Hello Everyone

Hi Everyone,

I am new to posting to the South Beach Diet boards, but I think that I may have posted once or twice in the past on WW.

I am 27 (almost 28) and I weigh 206. I reached a breaking point last week when my dr. told me that my blood pressure was on the brink, i had gained 10 pounds since my last appointment and am dooming myself to continue having back trouble if I don't get moving on a diet and exercising. She recommended the south beach diet to me and so here I am.

I went to the grocery store on Wednesday and spent about 25% more than usual but bought foods that were in recipes that you all posted for phase one -THANK YOU!- and other stuff from the list in the book. I am following the diet pretty well and drinking water almost constantly. I am encouraged by your successes and look forward to joining in the fun. Right now my only goal is to make it through phase one for the next two weeks and see a lower number on the scale than I did last week.

I do have some questions for you all: I got these really good almonds that are hickory smoked. Should I just watch out for sugar coating or is there anything else that may be wrong with them that I should look out for?

Also, when I made the Ricotta creme from the book it tasted good but came out kind of grainy -any suggestions?

So far my favorite meal to eat is the microwaved spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and reduced fat cheese- I think that by eating that alone I will make it through the next 2 weeks

Well, it is nice to meet you all and I wish you all good luck!

Last edited by adrianna123; 05-14-2004 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #2  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome!!! Isn't the spaghetti squash amazing? I love it so much, I made it with an alfredo sauce which was ok but not the best but i am having it today with tomato sauce I am excited!!!

I guess we all have our breaking points that just push us to change. Mine was none of my clothes fitting, gaining yet another 5 lbs in a few months and not wanting to do anything because i didn't feel good about myself.

South beach seems really appropriate for me and I don't feel severe weakness or dizziness like with Atkins....

My ricotta creme turned out kind of gritty too. Maybe you can put it in a food processor but I didn't mind it too much. I didn't think we would get so much but one serving is 1/2 cup!! The sugar in the nuts would be what to watch out for possibly maple or whatever they use in the smoking process but it all comes down to sugar

Well I wish you good luck, I have 3 days down 11 more to go! haha. Nice to meet you too and can't wait to hear about your successes!!!

Last edited by ozziesgirl; 05-14-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Adrianna!
Re: the nuts... yes, watch the ingredients. I picked up a can of peanuts the other day, and it had SO much crap in it! Sugar and corn starch and I don't know WHAT else! All I wanted was the peanuts.

Some people do run their ricotta through a processor. There IS smooth ricotta out there, depending on where you live. We've got it here in Ottawa.

Sounds like you're off to a good start... good luck!
Old 05-15-2004, 03:20 AM   #4  
Chickpea

Default Blood pressure

My blood pressure readings are excellent now. I have been on SBD since March 24th of this year. I have not had other tests, but I am certain my cholesteral readings will be great, too. Someone on another board also reported lowered blood pressure. I had been doing breathing exercises to lower mine. I really don't want meds for life. But I experimented with stopping the breathing exercises, and the SBD is what is doing the lowered blood pressure. Welcome and good luck!
Old 05-15-2004, 05:16 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Adrianna. Yes, SBD will help with many health problems. My blood pressure is normal now and so is my blood glucose. Hang in there! It works!
Closed Thread