South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:02 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Default the um, effects of fiber

****WARNING****
This may be a little TMI [too much info] for you all but barring a visit to the doctor [that I can't afford] I come to you for help...

I started SB a week ago today. I've drank 2 glasses of Metamucil almost every day. I've eaten my fiber rich meals as suggested by the plan.

Then why is it that I've done from pooping at least once a day, to doing so every other -- if that!

Is it because I've been watching too many IBS commercials and think I have it?

I would think that, since I am eating more fiber than ever before -- especially with teh added Metamucil -- I would go easier!?

I am sorry to ask about your bowel movements, and this is kind of embarassing but has this happened to anyone else???
Old 05-11-2004, 01:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

yep!! I thought I had IBS then I started SBD and nothing lol...like every other day just like you

Michelle
Old 05-11-2004, 05:22 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Jenne, I've never had that problem, but I don't think it's uncommon. It should get better on Phase II when you add in more fibre.
Hang on... there's an old thread somewhere... I'll see if I can find it...
Old 05-11-2004, 05:28 AM   #4  

Here, Jenne...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ht=constipated

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ht=constipated
Old 05-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #5  

thanks ellis and Michelle. I really thought I had a problem...I may still do but we'll see how it goes.

I was thinking of staying on Phase 1 until Memorial Day weekend when I went home and then try to introduce a few carbs like fruit in. But I can't bear to go through another 2 weeks of this!

Ok I just read the posted thread and it does not help me. I AM taking Metamucil before 2 of 3 meals [I don't like to poop at work!] and am eating spinach with my egg for breakfast, a salad everyday for lunch with added veggies in it and for dinner, 2 veggies and a protein. Why am I still irregular then?!?!

Last edited by jenne1017; 05-11-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:11 AM   #6  

Okay. Get some flax seed meal. If that doesn't work, nothing will. Also, it's REALLY good for you. (omega-3) Don't use the whole seed... it's not the same. It needs to be ground for you to get the full effect.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Jen!

I hope I'm not being TMI too, but I totally understand your pain. I recently took some ex-lax to help, because I had gone three days with no "movements". Then I ended up having to go in the middle of my first gym workout! Go figure.

I am certain that I have IBS because I usually get the opposite effect and have horrendous pains, like cramps, when it is *not* my tom. However, getting IBS with Constipation is pretty rare, I believe, so there is a slight chance for you to have it.

I would go with some ex-lax and/or suppositories until you are into Phase 2. Then, if you are still having trouble, I would go see your doctor.

Hope this helps! I definitely feel your pain!
Old 05-11-2004, 10:42 AM   #8  

Be careful you don't get addicted to the laxatives. Your body can become reliant on them after awhile.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #9  

I took the laxatives for a few days a few weeks ago -- before South beach because I had the problem then too. And even then, although the effects were "explosive", I didn't feel like it all um, came out.

Is flax seed expensive? Where can I get it? Does it taste at all?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:28 AM   #10  

I bought a biggish bag at a health food store, Jenne. It was 5 or 6 bucks for ummm... hang on... 453g. I see it comes from the States. "Bob's Gluten Free Red Mill" Finely ground. It has a sort of nutty taste. It'll blend into almost anything.
www.bobsredmill.com
Old 05-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #11  
Chickpea

Flax seed OIL seems to work best. If you can quickly take a tablespoon, holding your nose, it goes down. Or you can sprinkle it on salad. I found it in a Whole Foods market. It is also sold in health food stores. Are you eating beans? Lots of fiber there, too. Phase II is better because of added fruit. And Fiber One cereal has 14 g fiber!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Flax seed works great, but once you grind the seed or express the oil, it goes bad quickly. So, if you get the oil, get it in a dark plastic bottle and keep it in your fridge. You can cook with it, but I actually just add a couple squirts to my morning oatmeal (before I did SBD...can't wait for phase 2 so I can have oatmeal again!). You can also get the whole seeds and just grind enough to use that day. They have almost no taste, and what taste there is has a basically nutty flavor. They are awesome.

Good point about the laxatives. I haven't taken them in more than a year because I have not gotten stopped up that badly. I am on major iron supplements for anemia plus the SBD, and I am going days without movements, so I took some out of desperation. I will definitely watch it to see that I don't take them too much!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:26 PM   #13  

Does the oil act as a laxative? I always buy the ground meal because it's easier on my budget. I keep it in the fridge.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #14  
Chickpea

The flaxseed oil seems to have a laxative effect on me, so I stopped using it. I originally bought it for heart health reasons. Since being on Phase II, I am not having any problems in the toilet department! Toward the end of Phase I, I needed help. My bottle is black and still has a long shelf life, according to the label. It seemed expensive, too.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #15  
Hot Stuff

You want TMI??? Allow me to introduce myself as your IBS guru. I've had it for 10 years and help out with a support group in the Toronto area.

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning there isn't anything organically wrong with your GI tract, such as cancer, colitis, Crohn's, etc. There is a whole brain-gut interaction and memory on a cellular level at play here that I won't bore you with.

A diagnosis of IBS is given when a patient presents with altered bowel habits for a period of 12 weeks (need not be consecutive) in the last 12 months, having a combination of at least two of the following: pain relieved by defecation, altered frequency, and/or altered form. Urgency, a feeling of incomplete bowel movements, passage of mucus, and/or bloating are also some of the fun things IBSers get to live with. IBS-D (diarreha) is classified as 3 more bowel movements per day, and IBS-C (constipation) is classified as less than 3 bowel movement per week. No, IBS-C is not rare. There are also the IBS-C/D for those who alternate, and lesser known but sometimes referred to IBS-G for those who suffer mainly from gas. And although it has been labelled as predominately women who suffer, many men do, too. It's just that women are more likely to seek treatment.

Symptoms that are not indicative of IBS are those that wake you at night (pain/diarreha), presence of blood, weight loss, or fever.

If you are taking a fibre supplement of any kind, it is imperative that you drink LOTS of water. Otherwise, think cement! If the fibre supplement is causing cramps or gas pain, try backing off the dose and gradually building up to the recommended daily dose over a few weeks. Some people do best starting with a dose as small as 1/8 teaspoon in a glass of water, and building up to the usual dose.

If you need any more info, just ask. I'll gore you with the details.
Closed Thread