South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #1  

Default Are DQ no sugar added novelties okay on SBD?

I've been wanting to take the girls to DQ for some ice cream and I remembered that they have no sugar added items. i went to their websitge and found the following is no sugar added:

Dairy Queen® offers the following items that have No Sugar Added:
"DQ" Vanilla/Orange Bar
"DQ" Raspberry Vanilla Bar
"DQ" Vanilla Fudge Bar
"DQ" Fudge Bar
"DQ" No Sugar Added Chocolate Dilly® Bar

Do you think any of these treats would be okay to have on SBD?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm sure they're fine for a "once in a while" treat. Just don't take a box of them home with you. They can get pretty addictive.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I probably shouldn't reveal my little "secret", but almost every Sunday night I have a large hot fudge sundae from DQ, and it hasn't hurt my diet at all. I didn't know they had some no sugar added items - I'll have to check them out.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:07 PM   #4  

I went ahead and tried the no sugar added fudge bar. It had aspartame and was only 50 calories and 3g of sugar. It was very good and satisfied my chocolate craving.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:23 PM   #5  

cottagebythesea, wow really??? do you still lose doing that? i'm inspired! LOL!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

mmmmm don't put these thoughts in my head girls!!! My cravings are gone totally!! I had one no sugar added fudgecicle a few days ago and the box still sits in my freezer untouched since then. And this coming from a past ben and jerrys addict lol.
Michelle
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 AM   #7  
Running Babe

Cottagebythesea: I do one treat a week as well, this week it will probably be DQ! The DQ bars are addictive.. The Healthy Choice no sugar added are also great!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 05-11-2004, 08:13 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just my opinion but....we got fat by eating treats and eating these semi-legal treats keeps the habit alive. In people who are insulin-resistant and Type II diabetics, the artificial sweeteners act like real sugar and can cause cravings. So be careful!

Crawling back under my rock.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ruth, I am totally confused by this! My brain tells me that my body couldn't possibly misread the fake sugars as real sugars, and my mom (who tests her blood sugar regularly--she's type II) says she never notices a blood sugar spike after eating something with nutrasweet. However, I had half of one of those Eskimo Pie "Slender Pies" last night and had horrible cravings afterward. Ack! How could this be? Is it some type of psychological response?

Also, I was wondering...with the lite cool whip, the bread I found (slight amount of molasses), and Dr. A allowing us a small amount of honey or molasses in cooking for taste, I forsee some sugars making it into my diet in Phase 2. I am afraid that a tiny bit of sugar will put me back into trouble again as it did with the 3 bean salad at Ruby Tuesday. Has anyone else had this problem? Cottagebythesea...I am amazed at your self control and that you didn't have to detox after eating the sundae! I would be a mess, I think!

I'd love some advice on this, as I am starting to get worried, and Phase 2 starts in two days...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry, I didn't mean they caused BGL spikes - just that our mind thinks it's real sugar and the cravings come back.
Relax about Phase II! Just add back carbs gradually and avoid sugar as much as possible. You are doing fine!
Old 05-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The Sunday "treat" is just about the only cheating I do, and for me, it really satisfies any cravings I might get. I'm going to start getting a small sundae from here on out though, I don't need the large!(I don't "need" any at all). But it gives me something to look forward to all week long, and as long as I don't see any damage done, I'm hoping it will be OK. Maybe I really should try the "no sugar added" instead, as I really do want to eat healthier.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Cottage By the Sea!

If you are trying to eat healthier...I suppose your best bet is to eat the real thing! That avoids the "Frankenfood" principle, and even Dr. A says that if you are going to cheat, you should use the real thing! He says in the first book that if you eat the low-fat, fat-free stuff, you feel unfulfilled and are more likely to keep cheating than if you have the satisfaction of the full fat version. I think DQ (although I am not sure) has lower fat ice cream than the hard kind (like Baskin and Robbins). Worth checking in to.

I just think it is great that you can get back on the diet like that! Once I fulfill one craving, they all gang up on me and demand submission! My best bet is to fulfill none of them!

Ruth, I completely get what you are saying...I definitely get those cravings when I eat the sugar free Slender Pies. For some reason, the popsicles and jello do not cause the same reaction. Since it is mental, perhaps it is because I did not regularly eat popsicles and jello, so they still feel like diet food?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #13  

cottagebythesea~ If you can have the DQ and not have cravings afterward I wouldn't stress about it. Just like the last poster said Dr A does recommend the real stuff. Do what works for you and don't worry about anything else. Good luck!!
Closed Thread