Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default exercise and more exercise!!!! May 10-16

ok. i'll confess i haven't been posting on this as often as i should. and an even BIGGER confession... i've taken the past couple of days off as rest days because i was just plain exhausted.

but i'm feeling better... just gotta take it a little slower, i suppose.

so yesterday, an hour hike with doggie dearest.

and this morning, an hour plus walk with her.

tonight: a massage <yum!!!!!!> although i'm not sure i'm really scheduled for one. i've simply decided that i am!!!

and if no massage, then yes. i'll do all the weights.

how about you???

i know peachie has been working very very hard...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #2  
Meg

Oooooo ..... oooo .... jumping up and down .... I wanna know what Peachie's been up to ... please come share? You know I just a good sweaty exercise story.

And Ms. Jiff -- I'm so glad you're feeling better! Do you think you just needed a little R & R? How's the new eating plan going -- any easier? Is that scale still going down?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #3  

I have decided that if Pooky can be a Gym Hamster, I can be a Gym Gerbil.

Today I worked out for about an hour and 15 minutes doing circuit training. I have found that I need heavier weights on some of the exercises than they first recommended to me, because I'm a lot stronger than I thought. I think the dumbbell flys might kill me though.

Yesterday I hiked for about an hour.

Question for those in the know - Is circuit training as effective as doing cardio and weight training separately? I'm wondering because I used to do cardio first and then lift in sets of three. They tell me that circuit training will give me the same results, but I'm curious as to how since I'm only doing one set when I lift. Any comments?

Jif - I think you need to eat some nails or something to get your iron levels up there! I had a doctor recommend that I cook everything in cast iron and drink a lot of red wine to help get my level up. I really liked that doctor.

That's all folks,
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #4  
Mel

Hi Chickadee,
Meg directed me to this post to try and sort out an answer for you. Circuit training is VERY effective for burning off fat, and if you lift HEAVY and do 2 sets per circuit, or do the circuit twice, it's even better. Just make sure that you lift for all your body parts. Cirucuit training doesn't necessarily get your heart rate any higher than non-circuit training, but since you don't get a rest period before moving onto another machine or set, it does have some cardio value. It's won't ever be a substitue for cardio, but part of the whole weightloss package.
If you are going to do weight training and cardio on the same day, I'd recommend doing your weights first, then moving to cardio. Additionally, don't spend more than an hour to an hour and a hlf on your workouts- beyond that it's counterproductive. You can set up a circuit that should take you 1/2 hr-45 minites and be very effective for a beginning weight lifter, then do 1/2 an hour of INTENSE cardio. Then get outta there! Only do a circuit 3 times a week, at most. When you are in the gym, you are breaking down nuscle tissue. It's during your resting phase, sleep and the next day) that the muscle gets built back up again but strong because of the good proteins and carbs you are eating.

If you want to do more cardio, that's fine, but try not to overload your lifting days.

Hope that helps

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

thanks for the info, mel... we really and truly need all the help we can get with this stuff...

and chickadeedeedeedee... cooking in a cast iron skillet would involve COOKING!!!! not happening. and as for the red wine, i'm such a cheap drunk these days that i can't even drink enough to get any amount of iron!!!

ps darlin. you can't be a gerbil. anyone who lifts heavier than the weights the trainer gave you only last week is stronger than a gerbil. pick a stronger, or at least bigger animal... how about one with FANGS???

no, my dears... i think i'm stuck with the niferex - 300 mg iron plus 100 mg vit c. the same stuff they give folks with end stage renal disease!!!

and the rest has helped tremendously, but has thrown off my eating schedule. yesterday was awful - not calorie wise, but schedule-wise. and today was borderline, but improved. tomorrow will be better. it HAS to be.

not gonna tell ALL of peachie's secrets, but here are a couple of clues... a heart rate monitor [which is exactly what she needs, given her long history of supraventricular tachycardia] and MORE THAN ONE SESSION ON THE TREADMILL!!!!! and sweat.

she's cute when she sweats.

and taaaddddaaaaaa!!!! it was massage night!!! so tomorrow,m after the dentist, it's gym night. back into the swing of things...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:55 PM   #6  
Hang In There

Today was advanced cardio water day. I have to toot my own horn a little bit The insturctor has been watching everyone and "helping" them do the movement correctly, and she has been telling me my "form" is really good.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #7  

That was a wonderful, very helpful response Mel (or is it really Meg? ). I think my gym is defining circuit training differently than most though, based on what you posted. When I do the circuit, I do six minutes on the treadmill then a weight-lifting exercise, then back to four minutes of cardio (elliptical, treadmill or bike), then another weight-lifting exercise, etc. I do this for about an hour and 15 minutes. I do get all areas of the body and by the end I am pooped. It's kind of like Curves, but on a tougher scale. What do you think of that? All I know is I'm moving my shrinking buttocks so that's gotta be good.

I'm interested in the answer to Pookie's question too. I'd never heard of that theory, although I'm the type who wants to do my exercise and get it over with for the day. The motto of the woman who trained me at the gym is "get in to get out". I like that!

So much info here - I love this forum!

Chickadee
Old 05-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

YES meg/mel... <although you really don't look anything alike, but you are both very cute!!!!!> we need more info!!!!

and even i am considering a change to my workout schedule. this exhaustion has to stop and can't come back... so i'm thinking about doing the alternating upper body/lower body days... which will put me in the gym about every day, which is ok, but my major question is:

WHAT HAPPENS IF I CAN['T GET THERE???? do i have to double up and do a full body workout the next day? is this going to make me even MORE compulsive than i am already??? not one of my aspirations.

soooooooooo. in the meantime.. about an hour and a quarter walk with la dog... and heading for a gym night. gotta be lower body since my arthritic knees are really bothering me...
Old 05-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #9  

Jeez, Jiff, you're doing a heck of a lot of work, especially with arthritis-- your workouts are much longer and more intense than mine. However: "is this going to make me even MORE compulsive than i am already???" Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up... Maybe just a little tiny bit wound up, perhaps it's time to dial down the drama just a tad...

So hey, what happened to the "fun factor?" Where's the "I'm relaxed and totally enjoying myself" attitude? Come on, deep breath, relax, enjoy.... it's all good.... movin' and groovin'... maybe a little reggae in the background... or some Beach Boys.... think surfer chick, Big Sur hippie, summertime vacation... just breathe...
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:10 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

just a tiny tad???/ come on SITC!!!!! such understatement!!!!

there IS none of that west coast peace-love-and-alfalfa sprouts attitude here!!!! but believe me, i'd love to have some..

so please.. help me!!!!! that surfer chic, big sur hippie [as opposed to big BUTT hippie!!!] image is wonderful. and do you have any idea how many YEARS it's been since i've had a summer vacation? or any vacation for that matter????!?!!!!!!!

ok. so this evening. after the dentist. maybe a brief walk with the dog. and then quads [poor things]. and abs, and adducts and abducts, and calf press. and ball squats. and stretching.

ok. maybe i'll add that rowing thing to stretch the lats. and then the shower. steam. whirlpool. an hour, tops. promise. whew.. now that i wrote it down. maybe i can actually stick to it.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:43 PM   #11  

Here's an idea Ms. Jif - come vacation in Colorado! I know this really cool chick you could stay with and baby, could she show you a good time! And now that I know you're not gonna drink the red wine, I'll make sure you're plied with all kinds of laid back libations. Let the good times roll!

I did my hour 15 in the gym today. I know it's too soon probably, but I swear I feel more definition in my arms already. Too cool!

The Chickster
Old 05-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #12  
Hang In There

Hye Jiff Dallas is a good place to vacation. BTW Is anyone on this site comming to the OBESITYHELP convention here in Arlington?

But as for exercise, just the same old same old for me. Water aerobics 5 days and walking only 2 x's this week.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #13  
Hang In There

Hey Jiff!!!

You better control your sister!!! Peachie is causing trouble on the LC thread talking about the E word (exercise, sweat, and treadmill all in one post!)
Old 05-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

oh how i'd love to head out west.. lots of wonderful places to visit with wonderful friends. but maybe - and this is just a thought - i could start in OK and pick up my favorite aunt and drag her along!!!

hmmm. this is an exercise thread., what have i been doing??? a long walk on thursday morning and another one thursday evening. and yesterday morning. and then a business trip overnight in lawn guyland. started off this morning with a 30 minute walk, and then 35 mintues of weights [i worked efficiently!!!] and then 6 hours of meetings... the trip home... and an almost two mile walk.

and barb.... as much as i'd love to help. controlling peachie is just not possible. but she certainly is sweating up a storm, isn't she????