Old 05-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #1  

Wink Weekly Chat 5/9 -- 5/15

I hope everyone's having a relaxing Sunday, celebrating Mother's Day! We are meeting up with DH's parents & sister for lunch, and then all coming back to our place for a chocolate fondue dessert. Since today is the first day of my "7-week challenge before we move" I'll have to work extra hard to make sure my portion sizes are appropriate. Seriously, though, with today's gain, I'm getting mad enough to DO THIS. I've been up & down, up & down, between 172 & 167, for MONTHS now! And the thing is, I know it's my fault. I have NOT been consistent enough in my portion sizes, and I've had trouble with sweets bingeing quite a few times as well. Plus, I've slacked off a bit on exercise. When I bring all those things back into focus, I know I can lose the rest of this weight. It comes down to ME wanting it badly enough--and I'm there now.
Jen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #2  
hottie in training

Hi Jen24,
I am not new to this board, I have been here a few times before, but I am working on the "50 days til summer" challenge.

YOu and I seem a lot a like. I am 25, 5'7" (and a 1/2) and I am currently 176....my goal is anywhere from 136-145.

i was binging a lot on sweets and then last week my bf and I made a pact to only have one "sweet" thing a week-a soda, a candy bar, dessert, etc....because he was eating a lot of reese's cups (his fave) and I was eating them too. so far the 1st week was not too bad. I had reese's cups on Friday night and enjoyed them, and didn't have to feel guilty about it.

I know also that my portion sizes are way out of control and I am not consistent and I also eat when I am bored, and these are probably the 2 big reasons that, even thought I am doing a lot of exercise, I am not losing any weight!

I really want this too. I haven't weighed this much since 1999 and I cannot stand it, none of my clothes fit, I had to buy size 14 shorts yesterday and I can't afford to buy new clothes and I do not want to buy them either!!!!

I will check back here as much as possible, see you soon!
JennPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:03 PM   #3  
hottie in training

Jen24, I also wanted to ask you, are you doing any special plan? I noticed you have lost a lot of weight, congrats!

I am trying to just cut down on sweets, watch portions and not eat when I am bored. I have done WW, counting cals and I really don't like the way they make me feel, even if they do "work" I don't want to be bound to a certain # of points or calories, ya know. I know WW works for example but I just can't see myself doing it again. I am not good at journaling, and keeping track of things and even though they are not designed that way, I always feel restricted.

Just wondering how you did it?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #4  

JennPGH,
Welcome, it's good to "meet" you! We ARE a lot alike! (-; And to answer your question, no, I haven't done any special plan to lose weight. Last summer I basically reached the end of my rope and decided to truly do something about my size. From July through about Christmastime, I lost all but 10 pounds of it. (I've since lost some motivation & have struggled with complacency, as you can tell by my above post). I simply did like you were saying, I cut back on sweets & portion sizes, and started exercising almost daily (I learned to love it, thankfully). In fact for the first month or about 40 days of weight loss, I DID exercise every single day! But I had more time then (I'm a teacher & it was summertime). The weight came off pretty quickly for the first 3-4 months or so, which was nice. I did keep a food journal (just of what I ate, not usually with amounts--I did NO measuring) up until about Christmastime, too. I haven't done that since, and I think I can still be successful at weight loss without it, but my main trouble has been the sweets. Chocolate, specifically. I'm thankful I've stuck with exercising & have learned to enjoy it, because I'm scared to think of how much I'd have gained over the past few months without it! So, that's ONE good thing I can focus on. (-;
Anyway, I wish you luck on your weight loss journey, and I hope we can encourage one another to reach our goals (and avoid some sweets too)! If you have any more questions, let me know!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #5  
hottie in training

thanks for your reply Jen24.

I know it takes time-I didn't gain all this weight in a week, I'm not going to lose it in a week!

I try to keep a journal of what I eat, just the foods, not the calories or anything. I usually forget to though, which is why I said I wasn't very good at it!

ttyl
jenn
Old 05-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #6  

Hi everyone. Its been a while since I've been here. I finally passed my brokers exam. If everything goes right, I should have my license on Wednesday or Thursday. Because of all the stress lately, my time of the month was 9 days late. I kept expecting it so I was lazy and ate more than I should have. Now its time to get back on track. None of my summer clothes fit and its been in the 80s. Today is the day. I now have a career and my life won't be in so much disarray. Good luck to everyone turning over a new leaf. We can all do this.
South Dakota Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #7  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

JEN24: I totally feel you, I have been going through the same thing, I keep going back and forth between 165-170, and lately I've been steady at 170. We can do it, I'm pretty ticked at myself to, I ate like a pig all weekend. I mean overeating, and eating all the wrong things. So, here I am ticked and ready to run some laps tonight for punishment (I'm going to love it though)

SDChick: Congrats on passing your test! That is great!

Everyone let's really get on the ball this week! Let's have some losers this week!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #8  
Movin' and Losin'

I have to join the club, too. I've been eating too much of the wrong things. I've been the same weight or within the same seven pounds for months now. I just feel like I've wasted lots of time... so frustrating! Let's all kick it in gear and get back to losing!

Meredith: Congrats on passing the exam!!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #9  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Oh yeah, I'm with you guys - this was a HORRIBLE weekend. Friday was bad, Saturday was worse, and yesterday was a binge. Fun, fun, right? And I KNOW that if I had made myself go to the gym I wouldn't have done any of that. I would have felt positive and refreshed and it wouldn't have happened. Sigh. But I'm back on track and feeling better.

Congrats on getting your license Meredith!

Last edited by jenicra; 05-10-2004 at 02:26 PM.
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #10  

I will give an AMEN to all you, sisters! Let's encourage each other to really rock this week--I want to be a LOSER! And start being one consistently. But for now, I'm taking it one day, one week at a time. I've got to GET to my goal, so I can then learn how to maintain my healthy weight within a small range. But I'm not there yet! We can do it! How're we doing so far on this Monday?
Meredith--congrats on passing your broker's exam! That's awesome! I hope all will go smoothly as you enter your new career. (-;
Old 05-10-2004, 02:56 PM   #11  

Will anyone be watching the Everwood season finale on the WB tonight? (I can't wait!!)
deeloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #12  
it's the getting up

Way to go Meredith!!! I am totally with you all, let's get on this and see some results this week! I am really liking the accountability in daily "mini" goals. It's been really helpful in keeping me on track and makes me think a little more.
sunseeker_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #13  

Dee--is it completely lame that I've never even HEARD of Everwood? (-; DH & I don't watch much television, as you can tell. I'm a DORK!!! (-;
Old 05-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #14  
SuperWoman

S/C/G: 194/157.5/145

Height: 5'9"

Meredith, Congratulations!!!

Dee, we're pretty behind over here when it comes to some TV shows. Although we were able to see the series finale of Friends on Friday, we're still at the beginning of the everwood season, about week 5, I think!! But for some reason, I'm glued to the TV when that show comes on.

I'm with all of you on kicking our butts back into gear!! My kids and husband were ill all weekend so didn't get a chance to get to the gym. I feel like such a slacker!! And to top it off I ate a milky way today and now I'm kicking myself. Maybe its just TOM, but I'm craving the sweet stuff!! Gotta hit the gym tomorrow!!!
alsbttrfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:05 AM   #15  
hottie in training

Hi all,
I definitely want to be a loser too!

yesterday I did fairly well. I did 35 min of cardio (up 5 min from my usual time.) We ordered pizza and I only ate 3 slices-another achievement since I usually have 4! I tried to snack healthfully throughout the day so I would not be starving at dinner time.

today i have planned a lot of healthy foods.

I also did my chest, back and shoulder weights this morning.

Feeling good!

I don't really watch Everwood, although I have heard about it! Is anyone interested in the Fraiser series finale? I am not really, I see they keep advertising it. I watched it occaisonally but it was not my fave show. Tonight is the season finale of NYPD Blue, and I will definitely watch that, or at least tape it and watch it tomorrow!

ttyl!