Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2004, 02:52 PM   #1  

Default Birth Control and Weight Loss

Anyone have any experience with having trouble losing weight due to the birth control pill? I have been on the pill for almost 2 years. I started Weight Watchers 3 years ago and I have lost 160 lbs over the first 2 years. This past year, I have lost almost nothing despite keeping to the WW plan and exercise. I have read in a few places that over time the pill can lead to an increase in estrogen which and make you resistent to weight loss.

Any ideas?

Christine
Chris931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

Hi Christine!!

Ugh. The Pill. Great for preventing pregnancy, but bad for me weight wise. I gained weight too while on it.

I did a little research and found this for you...Hope it helps a bit.

Birth control pills can alter your water metabolism. Both the estrogen and progestin in the pills can cause fluid retention, a temporary and usually cyclic effect that often begins in the first month as a result of an increase in sodium. The estrogen in the pill can cause weight gain due to increased breast, hip, or thigh tissue, usually after several months on the pill. This causes swollen ankles, breast tenderness, discomfort with contact lenses, or a weight gain of up to five pounds. Reducing your salt intake moderately can help control this type of water retention.

Some progestin-dominant pills can cause appetite increase and permanent weight gain. Pill-related depression may also lead to increased appetite and weight gain. There are hundreds of reasons why women gain weight that are not pill-related. Talk with your health care provider about the extra weight you've gained, and, together, you may be able to find the cause.

If your weight gain is determined to be pill-related, your provider can change your prescription to minimize any weight gain.

Remember that exercise, especially weight training, can cause some weight gain in the form of increased muscle mass.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:29 AM   #3  
~*Hopelessly Dreaming*~

Hi Chris,

I've been on birth control pills for about three years now and have gained a lot of weight while being on them. I've also found it very hard to lose. I also read the article posted on birth control (thanks by the way!!!) and I've also had small bouts of depression since I've been on bc. I'm torn, because right now in my life the consequences of going off the pill would be worse in my eyes than being overweight. Do you feel that way as well? I've been lowering my salt intake lately due to high blood pressure and it's been helping. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone!!

Becky
BeckyBoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:31 PM   #4  

Chris931 i was wondering how you got to loose so much weight. Any tips or meals you followed cause im all about wanting to loose as much as possible this summer. let me know',

Jamal
Jamal249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #5  

I lost the weight through the Weight Watchers points system.

Yes, it is definitely more important to me to remain on the pill to prevent pregnancy but I am still very frustrated by my inability to lose any weight in the past year. Still haven't figured out the problem!
Chris931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #6  
It is what it is...

Hi, I have been on the pill for over 10 years now ( I know that sounds bad )
and I have had no problem losing weight, now I did however put on about 100 pounds in those ten years but I have been told by many drs that you may put on 5-10 pounds from birth control pills but not as much as I did. I think we look for any reason to excuse how much we gain ( I know I did ) ...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote