Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 03:16 PM   #1  

Talking

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome.
Old 04-07-2001, 03:36 PM   #2  

Hi everyone! How is your weekend going? We're having beautiful spring weather. This is the weekend of the Washington, D.C. Cherry Blossom Featival, and the blossoms are in full bloom right on cue.
When I weighed in yesterday, I had lost 2 pounds - the 2 I had picked up a month or so ago and had been hanging on to. I was rather pleasantly surprised, to say the least, since my exercise ability is zero for the past 7 weeks with this back thing.
Janet, it sounds like your life is a whirlwind right now! All your daughter's prom and graduation activities sound like such fun! Is your dd wearing the same gown to Tim's prom as she did to hers? I hope so, for the sake of your wallet! Post some pictures for us! Congratulations on your weight loss- you're on a real roll now, my friend!
Texaslady, I hope you have a good time furniture shopping with your dd. Getting things together for a first house is such fun!!! It's also fun to shop when you can help someone else spend their money! How are the wedding plans coming?
NJNancy, it was good to hear from you! I was beginning to think we'd lost you! That sounds like quite a powerful new computer you've ordered- should be fun! I swear, computers are almost obsolete when you take them out of the store these days! I got mine something like 3 months ago and it's 633- and now that's nothing!! Plenty for me, though, especially compared to the 264 I replaced.
It's been a quiet day. I had my carpets cleaned- finally gave up on my dear sil doing it as he's promised every weekend since last August. And I put some flowers out on my patio- I think it'll stay warm enough now that it's safe. I doubt if I'll see my little sweetie this weekend- my exdh is up, so my dd doesn't need me as a babysitter- grandpa gets the nod.
Well, I'd better run. Have a pleasant Palm Sunday, everyone.
Carol
Old 04-07-2001, 03:42 PM   #3  

Hi all! Again, sorry to be gone a while; still moving stuff into the new office, and got interrupted by all kinds of things. Went to Austin yesterday to get lots of surplus computers for the school; even snagged 3 good Powerbooks! (Mac laptops). Pretty tiring, though, lugging all that stuff around. Probably earned some exercise points, though!

Carol, so sorry to hear your back is giving you trouble again; hope you're feeling a little better today! We're probably posting together right now, as I just saw you start this new thread.

Nancy, sounds like you're really busy, but what fun! Congrats on your ten pound ribbon; that's great. I'm like you, Wal Mart definitely has the bargains; those dresses sound lovely!

Janet, my new classes start next August, and I can hardly wait! We are advertising for my replacement right now, and have an excellent candidate who might take the job; I'm keeping my fingers crossed! He'll come down here after Easter to meet with us. Congrats to your dd on those scholarships; how wonderful!

JOYce, sounds like you are having a great time with your house guests! Oh, and I finally posted the soup recipe, under WW soups. I might make it again soon, but with shrimp. (Down here, lobster is expensive and hard to find.)

Rebecca, congrats on your half pound loss!

Liz, how did the evening with the clients go, in the city? I haven't been to NYC in so many years, I guess when my sister lived in Manhattan and I stayed with her, as a teenager. I loved every minute. What play did you see? Oh, and re: the soup, it was very easy to make, and quick! I finally posted the recipe, btw.

Patti, way to go on the 2.8 pounds! Did you go to the strawberry festival today? We have one nearby, in Poteet, but I've never been to it. Good for you, having confidence that you can go there and stay OP! I know you will!

Texaslady, thanks, I do love to cook, and to have people over; maybe next year I'll have more time for that, I hope! I leave this position on June 8, and will start the new job in mid-August. Right now, Sat., I'm up at school trying to catch up on some reports, and moving a few boxes into the new office. Would much rather be at the beach, though!

Hi to Nancy in TC, Saara, and Kendra; hope all is well!

Regards,
Jan
Old 04-07-2001, 06:16 PM   #4  

OOPS! Looks like I spelled "pounds" wrong when I started this thread! Sorry, guys!!! Guess you know what I meant, though!
Carol
Old 04-08-2001, 11:14 AM   #5  
Inchworm

Good morning!
What a beautiful sunshiny Palm Sunday we have in Southern Calif!!. The air is all clean from a couple days of rain.
Linda called and asked that we be greeters at church this morning since she is not feeling well, so am up here egging the girls on, they hate to get up even 15 minutes early!! Just not programmed into their teenage system.
We are having "Easter dinner" today for the girls, their half sister and dad, since they will leave next Sat to visit their sister. Melissa was in shock when she realized that she would not be her for Easter dinner.
We need to shop tomorrow for that prom dress, so it is ready to go, when she returns..actually, the prom is not til mid-May.

I weighed in yesterday, and found a few extra pounds from my company and shenanigans. We had chinese the day before WI though, and that is always good for a gain, so I figure it will come off fast.
compamy is gone, and things are back to 'normal'.

Jan, You must be very excited to get back into your classroom! How exciting!
Where do you get lemongrass for the soup?

Carol, get some rest while grandpa is doing the babysitting, I know it must be hard for you to share, but it is good for your back!

I must get going and get that ham in the oven, and get to church!!
Have a great day!!

~~~~~~~
JOYce
Old 04-08-2001, 03:05 PM   #6  

JOYce, sounds like you have a busy day planned! And thanks, yes, I'm really looking forward to teaching again; it's where my heart is. Re: the lemon grass, I grow it in my garden, but you can also get it in the fresh herbs section at some groceries. Sorry to hear about your small gain, but you're probably right, some of that could be from the salt in the Chinese food. I know you'll take it right back off, though! Remember to drink lots of water!

Carol, we were posting at the same time yesterday, so I didn't get to tell you *kudos* on losing two pounds! That's terrific! And I know it's especially hard to do that when you can't exercise, so you must have been following program really well. How's the back feeling today? Hope you were able to get some rest over the weekend.

It's a lovely day here in Texas, maybe a bit hot. DH and I walked a couple of miles at the school track this morning, then I played piano at church, and am back in my office again doing paperwork. Ick.

Saara, are you through with your statistics class now? How is your summer shaping up?

Hi to Texaslady, Janet, Liz, Rebecca, Nancy, Nancy in TC, Kendra, and Patti; hope your weekend is going great! What does everyone plan to do for Easter weekend?
Regards,
Jan
Old 04-08-2001, 03:42 PM   #7  

Hi all! I hope everyone is having a pleasant Sunday. We've got sunshine this afternoon, but the temps are only in the mid 50's instead of the upper 70's as forecast. I don't know about these weather persons sometimes!
Jan, my back is still pretty "iffy"- it's ok till I walk more than a few yards. I have been taking it easy- nothing else to do anyhow! I've had a pretty bad cold since Friday also, compliments of a coworker, so that was good incentive to stay put and rest my back. This body of mine is just falling apart these days! It sounds like you and dh had a nice weekend. How's your dear dad doing? Please give him my regards. I'm going to my dd's for Easter dinner- I offered to cook, but she wants to, which doesn't exactly break my heart!
Joyce, chinese food is a trigger and a point buster for me! I love the stuff and lose all self control! But as Jan said, it is loaded with sodium, so I'm sure you'll make up for the slight gain in no time. I hope Linda is feeling better- tell her to stop in one of these days and let us know what she's up to!
Hi Janet,Saara,Texaslady,Nancy x2, Liz, Kendra- did I miss anyone?
Have a good op Monday, everyone.
Carol
Old 04-09-2001, 11:35 AM   #8  

Hi Girls!

It is finally warm here and I love it!!! I am still staying OP, although I am a little worried about tonight's weigh in because it is that old TOM and it might throw me off a bit. Oh well, if so, I'll know it isn't anything that I did.

Actually we didn't get to go to the strawberry festival, hubby had to work. But we did get to do a little shopping for graduation - shoes and stuff for DH and DS.

TexasLady - yes my son's prom is May 18th and we are in full swing with the plans. We have a limo bus reserved that holds 10 couples. Boys still have alot to get - limo, tux, flowers, dinner. They also have a mass the Saturday before graduation. We got his announcements and all of that good stuff on Friday, so I need to pull out my addresses from my wedding and my sister does calligraphy and she offered to hand address them for me. And now that he actually has his classes for college scheduled he is REALLY excited about that.

Janet - Thanks for the offer of the recipes. The etouffe sounds good. I'd like to see that if it is not too much trouble. I would love it if they had a low fat shrimp remoulade - but I don't know if that is possible!!

Well, I'll get back on tonight or tomorrow and let you know the verdict from weigh in. I'm still soft drink and chocolate free for 5 weeks now.

Stay strong everyone!!!

Patti
Old 04-09-2001, 02:39 PM   #9  
Inchworm

Patti, I just wanted to mention that I finally decided that taking a limo is a really good and safe things for kids to do for proms and such. here n Calif, they always go so far away, down the freeways to get to the events, that I was concerned about the traffic and safety. so we all chip in, even the girls pay their share of the limo, it makes for 'peace of mind' for dear old grandma.
I hope your weigh in goes well.

My cold has returned with a vengence!! dh insisted that I call the doctor, (he loses sleep with my coughing at night ) so I have an appt for tomorrow. It has been almost 3 months since this stuff started, never totally going away.

I have too many projects going to be sick!!

My computer mouse 'died', I need dh to investigate the cause and solution. so am using his computer today. I'm so lucky that I am able to do that. i felt so isolated when I turned the puter on and the cursor wouldn't move!

bye for now, I need to get to the post office and get some things mailed.
have a great OP day, everyone.

~~~~
JOYce
Old 04-09-2001, 03:31 PM   #10  

Well, its Monday again! Phooey!

Joyce - I am sorry about the demise of your mouse! I hope he can be revived - or at least replaced - soon! Its amazing how our computers have become such a big part of our lives, isn't it? Who would have thought? Did Melissa get her prom dress? Tell us about it. You need to take care of that cold - you've had it way too long now.

Patti - Sounds like your graduation plans are all under control, too! Its such an exciting time for the kids. I am also sure that all our seniors are now just "marking time" til classes are over. Even I remember how I felt that senior year - just weeks before graduation - when I couldn't WAIT for the days to pass! My dd felt the same way when she was a senior in high school. They are so anxious to get on with the "rest of their lives"!

Carol - Doesn't sound like you are doing just a whole heck of a lot better. But I am sure you went to work anyway. Life doesn't stop, but maybe you can slow it down a little so that you can recover! I KNOW that you are thrilled with that 2 pound loss! Congratulations.

Jan - That's wonderful that you already have a "fish" on the line for your replacement. I know it will make you feel better if a qualified person can take over. You mentioned your last day was in early June and school starts in August..... does this mean you actually are going to have a couple months "off"???? If so, that's just fantastic! I know your Dad and your dh will be delighted - you, too, of course! Your soup sounds good. I didn't cook a thing this week-end, despite my good intentions! Seems I live off of sandwiches! Not good, I know, but there are worse choices!

Nancy - good to hear from you! Congrats to you for your 10 pounds! What an excellent start! Sounds like you are in continual birthday party mode!

Went shopping with dd on Saturday and she & fiance bought an armoire, curio cabinet and bookcase for the new house. They were shopping at that liquidation sale I was telling you about and just as they wrapped up their list of items, they spotted a big mirror (about 4 x 6 feet big, beveled with an oak frame) marked down to $178. They told the salesman to add it to their list of purchases, and instead he gave it to them for free since they had already gotten the other things. They were pleased as could be with their "bonus" item. We arranged for delivery of the big items but future sil was carrying the mirror out of the store when cop at the front door asked for our sales receipt. We told him the store had "given it to us" and he just laughed - until he saw the receipt & it was true!

Will go for now. Have a good day and will check in again later.
Old 04-09-2001, 05:46 PM   #11  

Hi everyone! Well, summer's here now! It went up to 88 degrees today! This weather is really crazy!!
Patti, you're the name I forgot in my last 2 posts!!! I'm so sorry!!How did your weigh in go today? Big congrats for staying off the sodas and chocolate for 5 weeks!!
Joyce, I'm with your dh- you need to get yourself to the doctor! That cold shouldn't be hanging on that long! You need to kick back and relax once in a while!!Sorry about your computer mouse!! We do get attached to these computers, don't we? I sent you a follow up email last week- hope you got it. I just found out that a few things I emailed to a friend of mine got lost in lala land somewhere!
Texaslady, it sounds like you all had a wonderful time at the furniture liquidation, and how nice of them to give your dd and her fiance the mirror for free! This is such an exciting time for them! You're right- I did go to work- back, nasty cold and all. We've got a nurse in the hospital, another out with a cold tomorrow and this is the busy season in an allergist's office! Besides, I don't have much sick leave. The back is much better today, seriously, due to the quiet weekend.
Jan, I'm curious too- will you actually get all that time off between jobs??? I sure hope so- you work much too hard, and you deserve a break!! Sounds like a good time for you and dh to take a vacation! Say hi to dh for me too, by the way!
My little sweetie is just walking all over the place now- he really thinks he's hot stuff, the little !! He's actually going to need a haircut soon, too! I'd like to take him to get his picture taken again, if his little nose ever stops running!!
Well, I've got to run- it's bedtime!!! Hi to everyone, and talk to you all tomorrow.
Carol
Old 04-10-2001, 10:18 AM   #12  

Good Morning!!

Well my weigh in went fine....I lost .8....which was really good according to the girl doing the weighing. She said I really should have seen a gain with the TOM thing. I'm satisfied. So my 5 week total is 15 lbs. Just 3 more to my 10%. Maybe I can do that this week.

JOYce - Oh yes......limos are good. All us nervous Moms really pushed for this limo bus. The boys didn't mind though. I think they really enjoy being in a large group anyway. Hope you get your cold cleared up. It seems like the cough is always the last symptom to hang on.

TexasLady - My son knows exactly how many days he has left of school. They start exams soon and their last day is May 5th. I still can't believe my "little boy" is grown. He turned 18 on Saturday. I brought him a chocolate chip cookie cake to work at the Palace Theater. They demolished it within minutes. Wow your daughter got a good deal. The mirror sounds wonderful. I love those big mirrors. You can do so much with them.

At my meeting last night our leader gave us a list of all of the popular Easter candy and the point values. I'm not a big candy eater, but if anyone wants to know any of them, just let me know.

Well, I'll talk to all of you ladies soon. Keep up all of the good work - together we can all succeed!!!

Patti
Old 04-10-2001, 03:22 PM   #13  
50+ pound loser

Good Afternoon Everybody!!

Let's see what is going on around here. Nothing. Yep, that's pretty much the extent of my excitment! I did start a scrapbook that is titled, "My Weight Loss Journey". I am getting some pictures developed of me now that I have lost my 10%. I am a little nervous to see them, what if I look the same as when I began? Anyway, the scrapbook should help me at those times when I am feeling a little discouraged and will be a great "brag" book when I finally reach my goal!

Remember when I told you guys that I got an Ab Roller? Well, I have to report that after using it for a couple of weeks now, every other day and just doing it a few times, I am seeing results. No kidding! I am actually starting to see my tummy tightening. And let me tell you something, it feels great!! I also did my measurements, and since the last time I did them (Feb. 26) I have lost 5 1/2 inches more!! WOW!! I guess sometimes it helps to see those inches when the pounds don't seem to be coming off as quickly as we would like.

But I better go. I am also doing a scrapbook for my mom and dad with all their 30th anniversary pictures, and pictures from their trip to Hawaii in it. So I better get busy...

You all have a great week and know that no matter what we are all success stories in the making!!

Rebecca
Old 04-11-2001, 08:32 AM   #14  

Hi everyone!

I still haven't got my pc fixed... so here I am at the univ. computer lab again. Statistics class is over, but I do have to retake the Finnish test. I still have several tests, and a few lectures. I think I'll still attend 2 courses that each last a week or so. One this month and one in May. I don't have any special summer plans, I'll just keep working at the video store and hopefully have plenty of fun... Still no news from the exchange, several other students have been offered placements, but they're still looking for a place for me.

Last weekend I went to Tallinn, Estonia w/ my Dad, his wife, my 2 aunts, uncle and cousin. It was great! It's a beautiful city. We went to the ballet and saw Romeo and Juliet. We ate at great restaurants on both days, and really had a good time. The best thing of all for me was that my Dad paid for it all, I just got to enjoy myself.

Well, I really need to get going again. I'll be working all Easter (double pay for friday, sunday and monday ), but I'll try to find some time to come and post more. I've missed you all! Have a good day! Saara.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:38 PM   #15  
50+ pound loser

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Boy, I sure will be glad when summer gets here. We are having rain/snow mix right now and the wind is howling. It was sure a long drive home from my meeting. At least the roads weren't icy!

I just have to share with all of you...at weigh in today, I lost 3.8! I was just as shocked as my leader. So I am feeling like I am on cloud nine. Maybe this time it will work, in fact, I know it will! I will succeed!!!!!

But I better go get some lunch!

You all have a great day!!!!!

Rebecca
Closed Thread