Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2004, 02:51 AM   #1  

Unhappy extra skin

I'm new to this site. Wondering if anyone can offer advice about excess skin after weight loss. I have lost 73 pounds with another 50 to go... I had two c sections and find that I have this apron thing going on over my stomach and hips. Excerise doesn't seem to get rid of it. I've been working on my abs like crazy.... I know that age might have something to do with it.. I'm 46.
jess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:21 AM   #2  

I don't think it's the age, I am 31 and have the same. I believe mine happened when I was pregnant and could handle the stretching of the baby. I would love some advice on how to get rid of it as well. I did hear cocoa butter was supposed to help but I have not tried it yet.

Dale
Trixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:35 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Welcome to 3FC Jess!

You might want to check out the Maintainers Forum - Meg (moderator) wrote a great essay as a sticky thread titled "Weight Loss and Loose Skin FAQs" there...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #4  

Thanks for the responses from Trixi and Mrs. Jim.

Trixi
I'll give the coco butter a go.. closest I will have been to butter in almost a year lol....

Mrs. Jim
Thanks that FAQ stuff was great.. Never heard of Maderma though. Does anyone know if it's prescription or not?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mederma - that's what it's called. It's non-prescription, but it costs a ton. I used it during my first surgery, but soon switched to silicone gel strips - the thing with Mederma is that you have to keep reapplying it - sometimes 8 times a day. The silicone gel strips you just apply and leave on.

Keep in mind though that none of these products are 'skin tighteners' - they're methods of scar therapy used after surgery. I've heard of people using Mederma on their stretch marks, but I don't know how effective it is on that. (most of my stretch marks got 'cut out' during my tummy tuck surgery. ) At $25 for a small tube, that is pretty darn pricey IMO!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 AM   #6  

Thumbs up Maderma and silicon strips

Dear Trixi
I will ask at my local chemist and see what the cost is in Canada.
I read most of the information on the thread you mentioned in the last post. Seemed as if the TT was positive for most people. Curious though if you had to do it over again would you? I'm still a far piece to reach my ideal weight, but giving some thought to TT and maybe a bit of Lipo to get rid of the residual hangy bits. I have to do a bit more research as to the cost in this country. My two c's were emergency so no nice little scars but great big honking ones that look like a zipper straight down my stomach. Not sure if I want to add to that. I will have to ask a PS what could be done for not only the apron thing but what could be done with the zipper. lol
Thanks for the info.....
Take Care
Old 04-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #7  

Default Sorry Mrs. Jim used the wrong name caled you Trixi

oops!