Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #1  

Default Hello from Scotland

I hope you don't mind me joining you. I've been lurking around for the past few months and it seems that you have such a good time here that i wanted to come and play!
I had open RNY surgery on 6th January this year after having been overweight for all of my 44 years. So far, I've lost 70lbs and I feel really well. I had a few weeks when I was afraid that I might blow it all...but reading your posts, especially some of the earlier post that Jiffypop had made, really encouraged me and helped me get my head round what was going on. So I'm back on track and managing to enjoy(!) the exercise and keep myself focussed on the eating. I have spent a lot of time working on the "issues" around my eating and did think that I had a handle on it but wasn't as smart as I thought I was. This site has helped me really focus on what lies ahead as well as celebrating and enjoying my achievements to date. Even though it's just the start of the journey I feel as if I'm getting a second chance at life.
Thanks to all of you for your help.
It's a beautiful easter Monday here and Scotland certainly looks "bonnie" when the sun is shining so I'm going out now to make the most of it.
Hope you're all enjoying the holiday
heatherbell
heatherbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

heather.. it's so nice to meet you! and thank you for the kind words..

i'm at work right now, and have to go write a proposal, but i promise i'll be back later <probably tonight> to jabber more...

glad things are going so well for you!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #3  
Hang In There

Nice to meet you Heather, glad you came out of lurkdom.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

well,, here i am again. and really, all i can say is that i'm so proud of you for facing whatever you had to in order to get with the program..

and NOW You have a major responsibility: to share what you've learned!!!

This whole SUCCESSFUL wls thing is fairly recent... and we HAVE to share. some of our docs are wise and experienced, and others are absolute idiots and we all have to figure out what really works FOR US and what won't.

sooooo... welcome aboard!!!! glad you're here.

and now for the REALLY important question.. now that i can travel again, i've always wanted to see scotland.. sooo what's it like????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:41 AM   #5  

Thank you for your welcome...I got really excited when I saw that there were posts on this thread!
What have I learned?
I realised that this was a long term project...it was going to take time and other people would forget about it but I had to stay focussed and committed to the job.
Although I knew it in my head, I learned and understood in my heart that the surgery is a tool and not a miracle. I needed to work harder and be more honest about how things were.
I was on a real high just after the surgery...lots of attention and encouragement and concern from family and friends. After about 5/6 weeks that started to tail off and all I had left was myself...no-one could do this for me. I came crashing down to earth with a bang and realised that I couldn't use my usual medication...food. I felt really lost for a while and began to graze a bit and had the awful realisation that I could sabotage the surgery and that everything I had gone through would be for nothing...not mention the money I had spent!
That's when 2 things happened...the first was that I read some of the posts on this site and realised that I was in good company and that several people had battled with this and with the demons of head-hunger...and triumphed!!
You've no idea what that meant to me...it wasn't just me being my usual useless self...it was a fairly common element of our shared experience...and it could be dealt with. Hooray! What a relief!
The second thing was that I realised that courage and boldness and honesty are part of who I am (although often in very small measure) and that if I could bring the same qualities to this particular struggle that I brought to the decision to have the surgery; the saving up for the surgery and undergoing the surgery - then I was in with a chance. So, in the words of an infamous (and somewhat deranged) Scottish woman, I "screwed my courage to the sticking post"...found a counsellor to talk to, joined a gym and enlisted the support of a personal trainer and got back to 4 small meals a day...high protien and low carb...and I opened my eyes very wide to the reality of my situation and tried to live in the present...feeling everything...not hiding.
(Oh! Did I mention that I also booked a place on a cruise ship going to the Caribbean on the 5th Dec 2004! That got me reaching for my training shoes and moving my backside!)
Sorry...I've rambled on here...don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but it's how it has been for me.
Jiffypop, you asked about Scotland...I live midway between Edinburgh and Glasgow so I'm in the industrialised West/Central belt of Scotland but we're such a small country that you're never far from the sea or the countryside or the mountains. Some of Scotland is very beautiful...I love the North East...fishing villages, mountainous countryside...achingly beautiful. Come and see us!
Have a lovely day...thanks for your replies
Heather
Old 04-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #6  

Wow Heather, what a great post. I'm going to print it out and re-read it every so often.

I just had LapBand surgery on April 6, and am sure some of the same head demons will rise up in me too. I've also recently realized that I posess a lot of determination, perseverance and will. It took a lot of work and persistence to get into the operating room and it will take a lot to lose the weight, but I've proven I have it.

My parent are going to Scotland for the second time in June. They absolutely love it. My dad's family is Scottish and he proudly wears his Bell of the Border tartan. His kilt is nicer than any item of clothing I've ever worn in my life and he has better legs than I ever will too!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:05 PM   #7  

Thanks so much for your message Chickadee...I was reading about your journey while I lurked! Congratulations on the successful surgery...and here's to all that lies ahead. I think that these posts testify to women (and men!) who have qualities like courage and persistence by the bucket load...but who often think that they're worthless. Just think about what it takes to get up in the morning, face the world and get to work while weighing 350lbs...that's strength, courage and persistence...so I think it's in us and the surgery helps it become more visible...
Dads with great legs...don't you just love them. My Dad looks so handsome in his Black Watch tartan kilt...
Just one more thing Chickadee...tell me about the flying monkeys!!!

Heather
Old 04-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #8  

Hi Heather.......Best of luck to you!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #9  

Heather, that was a great Post! I worry about regain, but realized that I have changed my lifestyle so much in the 5 months post surgery, joining and using the gym, journaling everything I eat, and best of all realized that I am strong. It takes strengh to make this decision to have surgery, it also take an internal strength to stick to the diet. I pray I continue to stay strong. Developing Self Estem and self worth, seems to be the key to making a diference.

Booking a Cruise seems like a great self reward! You deserve it! What a great motivator!
Ditzy Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:34 PM   #10  
Need Support

Default Hey Heather

My name is Sharon Blake. How is Scotland nowadays. My Grandmother and Grandfather were born in Scotland. Grandma was born in Hamilton and Grandpa, Edinburgh. They came to the states in 1929. Grandpa has passed but Grandma is still around and in her 90's. Her sister is 100 and still going.
I wish you all the luck with your surgery. I had mine on November 4th of last year. I have lost 87 pounds so far.
I need to work out more though to get my energy levels up.
I also wonder about the head hunger thing. Sure is scary. I want to get that food off of my mind. I started out at 314 and am now 227.

Best of luck to each and everyone
Sharon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #11  

Hi Sharon...it's a small world...
Scotland is an exciting place to be just now...we have our own Parliament and I think we're beginning to discover a new sense of our identity...Scottish and PROUD!!
I live in Wishaw which is about 4 miles north of Hamilton...I'm there at least once a week. Your Grandma would not recognise it now...all one-way systems and busy shops and retail parks. My Mum worked in Marks and Spencers in Hamilton!
I went to Edinburgh University and lived there for about 8 years. I do a lot of work there...I love it and often think about moving back but houses are so expensive that I just couldn't afford it. It's a beautiful city and I just love being there are wandering around. There weather is fine at the moment and we are having some bright sunny days and Edinburgh just looks fabulous in her spring clothing...flowers in the park...blossom on the trees...but at the same time a chilly breeze blowing...I like that!
Congratulations on your weight loss...how do you feel? How do you look? Have you got used to the idea of losing weight and does it feel OK?
I know what you mean...like you I would just like to get food off my mind...maybe it will come...
In the meantime...lots of love "frae Bonnie Scotland"...regards to your Grandma...
Heather