Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #1  

Question 1-Day Diet?

Anyone ever heard of this, or tried it? They keep playing the commercial for it on the radio, and several girls from work are thinking about trying it.

From what I can gather over the internet, you are supposed to eat nothing but these wafers that they provide you with, two wafers every hour for 10 hours, and as much fresh fruit as you want. Then, the next day you can eat whatever you want in any portion amount that you want.

This sounds a little crazy, but do you think this actually works? I calculated that the wafers would be about 300 calories total for the day, not counting any fruit you eat.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:56 AM   #2  
it's always something

This looks like the most unhealthy "diet" I've ever seen. It works like a modified fast one day, so you starve yourself, then you get to eat whatever you want the next day, so you still aren't eating healthy foods. They don't include a balanced diet plan, and it actually says you make up your own diet plan (most people that buy this product are probably not going to know how to do that)

The site I found sells it for $40 for a 20 day supply, which might just be 10 days worth if you only take it every other day.

The ad meet just about every item on the FTC scam warning list. Go to http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcam...lag/index.html for more information.

If you want safe, healthy, and long term weight loss, you won't find it with the One Day Diet. I'd suggest a proven diet plan, such as South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. when you get right down to it, every single diet on the planet is ONE DAY. repeated day after day after day.

the only thing you'll lose after this wafer diet thing, besides money, is some water weight.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #4  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

"Money - that's what I want,
I want money"

I'll sell you anything you will buy and I will get rich in the process.

My only problem is that people keep getting in before me with the good ideas!

I love this one, sell you a box of crackers and tell you to eat the one every 2 hours!?!?! Thousands percent profit...... Now what else can I sell you?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:02 PM   #5  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

All apologies - the cynic in me escaped for a moment!

It sounds as though your brain threw you a red flag - listen to it! More often than not we actually recognise a scam the second we see it. The problem is we all dream of the easy way to lose weight and we will occasionally try ANYTHING to achieve it!

I can't believe that this one will remain in the public domain for very long, I am suprised that any radio station will carry it. Aren't they liable to be actioned for playing it? I know magazines are held responsible to check the legality of their ads, I always assumed radio stations were too!
Old 04-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
All apologies - the cynic in me escaped for a moment!

It sounds as though your brain threw you a red flag - listen to it! More often than not we actually recognise a scam the second we see it. The problem is we all dream of the easy way to lose weight and we will occasionally try ANYTHING to achieve it!

I can't believe that this one will remain in the public domain for very long, I am suprised that any radio station will carry it. Aren't they liable to be actioned for playing it? I know magazines are held responsible to check the legality of their ads, I always assumed radio stations were too!
Oh my cynic is always escaping me!!!

Stef - I guess in the US (until lately anyway...thanks to Howard Stern and the Superbowl halftime antics of Janet Jackson) radio can get away with just about anything. About 3 years ago, almost every prominent radio deejay in the States seemed to be plugging "Body Solutions" - a miracle 'no diet' liquid that cost $50 for a month's supply...all you would do is take a spoonful before bedtime and 'lose weight while you sleep' effortlessly. Of course it was pure crapola. (Interestingly, the guy who ran the company that produced said crapola was QUITE obese himself... guess it didn't work that well for him!)

And that's just the tippy tippy tip of the diet scam iceberg. It never ceases to amaze me how the marketers and peddlers of these miracle diet products find new ways to part the gullible public from their money. It also amazes me how same marketers are able to con VERY INTELLIGENT folks from their money with the promise of easily lost weight. But remember, these marketers have had over 150 years of experience in snake oil sales. Ever see the film The Outlaw Josey Wales...remember the slimy salesman with his patent medicine? It's really no different today, except that today's slimy salespeople don't have to travel with a horse and buggy from town to town selling their wares, all they need to do is put up a bunch of websites, purchase high placement on Google (ever wonder why, when googling a topic, the first ones that come up are for products?), fill up our mailboxes with Spam, and voila!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:46 PM   #7  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
It also amazes me how same marketers are able to con VERY INTELLIGENT folks from their money with the promise of easily lost weight.
The worst example I have witnessed happened a few years ago. I exchanged several email from a very nice woman that responded to an internet ad for what seemed like the solution to her weight problems. Lose all the weight you want, never deprive yourself of any of your favorite foods. Enjoy chocolate, pizza -- it didn't matter what your favorite food was, you could savor it to your heart's content with this program, and still lose weight! Send $20 and the secret is yours. What was the secret? Put ANY FOOD you want in your mouth. Just don't swallow. She was so upset at the "secret" that she contacted them to ask for a refund, but they refused, of course. They actually threatened her, and she was quite scared. They knew where she lived, had her phone number, and had her money. As part of the "purchase agreement", she had to agree not to tell anyone what the secret was. She refused to let us contact them or expose them on the site, because they threatened to sue her for breaking the agreement. It was a very sad situation. Yet it's a prime example of unscrupulous the diet industry can be.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
The worst example I have witnessed happened a few years ago. I exchanged several email from a very nice woman that responded to an internet ad for what seemed like the solution to her weight problems. Lose all the weight you want, never deprive yourself of any of your favorite foods. Enjoy chocolate, pizza -- it didn't matter what your favorite food was, you could savor it to your heart's content with this program, and still lose weight! Send $20 and the secret is yours. What was the secret? Put ANY FOOD you want in your mouth. Just don't swallow. She was so upset at the "secret" that she contacted them to ask for a refund, but they refused, of course. They actually threatened her, and she was quite scared. They knew where she lived, had her phone number, and had her money. As part of the "purchase agreement", she had to agree not to tell anyone what the secret was. She refused to let us contact them or expose them on the site, because they threatened to sue her for breaking the agreement. It was a very sad situation. Yet it's a prime example of unscrupulous the diet industry can be.
This almost sounds like a Eating Disorder diet. Surprised they didn't say "well just puke it up lady." Ugh!!!!!!!! Just remember...what goes around...comes around. Karma. Maybe they are bankrupt by now.

As for the wafers diet... I'd recommend getting some whole wheat crackers of some sort instead and eat as a SNACK, not to replace a real healthy meal Besides the crackers are cheaper and better.
Closed Thread