Old 04-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #1  

Default Article on Splenda

Ok, I don't usually fall for this stuff but a friend sent me this web site address. I am a little concerned now. Just thought maybe we should all read this and comment.

http://mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Thumbs down

Jane this is a great article and to be totally honest with you and others, I don't trust Splenda either. I think in tiny doses its okay but to keep pounding this stuff in our bodies all the time, it can't be good, after all it is a chemical.

To be on the fare side, what they don't tell you in these articles and some studies is just how much of this chemical are they pumping into the rodent's bodies. Are they feeding these animals what would be equivalent to like 3, 2 liter bottles of soda a day, or is it less, like 8 oz ? I remember hearing that they used to feed an outragous amount of saccarin to rodents and then saying ooooooh look they developed cancer...well duh.

The one artifical sweetner that REALLY scares me is Nutrasweet.......I honestly think in my opinion that, that stuff is from the devil I've heard that this country and others have reports of more brain tumors than ever b/4 b/c of this stuff ?? how true that is, I dunno.

Bottom line..... M O D E R A T I O N
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Never know what is the lesser of the evils....
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

You know, it seems like nothing is safe anymore. They used to say eat fruits and vegetables because they're good for you. Then all of a sudden come back with apples not being good for you because of I forgot what reason (the dye to make them red?). And milk because....and gum because..... When's it going to end and food's REALLY going to be safe? Hmm...I'm taking this article with a grain of salt...or should I say Splenda?
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:16 PM   #5  

I usually don't pay to much attention to these articles myself but this one kind of stopped me in my tracks because of the amount of Splenda I consume now. Most low carb items contain Splenda now. But then at lunch I really sat down and thought about the amount.....
I have about a half pack with my 1 cup of tea in the morning and I don't eat many sweets so how much am I really getting? Not much I guess.

Does anyone have any opinion on Stevia (sp) as a sweetener?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Amy, exactly !

Brenda, with all the altering they do to grow veggies and fruits for mass production, I doubt anything is safe...... Don't think about it just live life and enjoy.

Y'all remember now, you can't use white toilet paper to wipe that might cause cancer, blow drying your hair will cause cancer, no white potatoes, no white rice.............. I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto

Old 04-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #7  
Mouth of the South

I don't think artificial sweetners are very safe. I never have. I also don't think sugar is that safe either! Take a look around! 99.9% of every person you will see today is overweight, probably due to over consumption of sugar.

However, I do think that in small doses on occasion, Splenda and sugar are ok. I remember when I was a kid, and sodas and candy were a VERY rare treat. Now they are an everyday deal. Moderation is the name of the game now!
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 05:13 PM   #8  

So....Splenda is BLEACHED SUGAR. With the bad press bleached flour has enjoyed this should ring an alarm.

Well that does it for me. No way am I going to keep eating this stuff if it's effects are nebulous fuzz.

I got a box and have had 1 teaspoon so far. And I will be reading labels for sure.

Dr Atkins uses Stevia in a lot of his recipies and I already have about a pound of the stuff. And GADS anyway, I'd rather eat SUGAR or HONEY than be an unwitting test subject. The very slight licorice taste of stevia will be fine for me, Thank You.

Stevia is all natural (the green powder) and when you get the extract form it is concentrated with food grade alcohol and the alcohol is evaporated. The Japanese have been using stevia for over 20 years and not 1 study on stevia has had any bad findings. I have a book about stevia.
Journey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #9  

Journey Girl: I was thinking of switching to Stevia myself....may have to do some research on that one.

Thanks gals.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:50 AM   #10  
~ Berry Happy ~

I hear new things all the time on the news about...

- How coffee is bad for you, it causes this, and causes that!
- Sweet n' Low is bad, it can cause cancer!
- You're vegetables are not as clean as you think they are, you can get cancer!
- If you frequently leave your hair wet & put it in a pony tail you can get a brain tumor.... ect...ect...

I am heard SO many things from T.V. , friends, family, and others.

Like Leenie said - moderation
kari_berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #11  
Goal by Aussie Summer!

I use between 2-4 teaspoons of Splenda a day. I'm not going to bother reading that "article" and working myself up about brain tumours. I'm more likely to get struck by lightning than develop brain cancer from a few teaspoonse of Splenda.
RavenL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 AM   #12  

I use Stevia in liquid form. It is just "okay" tasting...sorta has a bitter aftertaste if you get to much in your drink. If your craving something different than plain ole water...adding Stevia and some lemon is really yummy. Splenda gave me horrible migranes...so I'm sticking to either the real thing (sugar) or Stevia when I need a sugar fix. Has anyone else tried it yet...Stevia?
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Dallas, no I haven't tried Stevia, I don't think Ive even seen it in stores.

With the artificial sweetners, its 6 of one or 1/2 a dozen of the other. Just toss a coin and hope you picked the lesser of two evils.