Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 07:21 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - March 29/04

Good morning everyone.

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty good - dinner out on Friday nite, a good movie on Saturday and a 16 km run yesterday. My first 10 miles! I was pretty tired for the rest of the day but also proud of myself.

Have any of you seen The Triplets of Belleville? That's the movie I saw on Saturday nite and it was delightful. Animated (but not targetted at children) and almost silent in that there were probably less than 25 real words spoken. I recommend it.

I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in a few weeks. The news is not good, in spite of all the running I'm doing. I'm the heaviest I've been in five years. I'm considering moving off of this thread and onto another where folks are still in loss mode. Trouble is, I would miss all of you, although I guess I could still post here too. This is definitely the end of the line in terms of letting things slide; I refuse to be fat again. Maybe I can continue to post here and you can be my cheerleaders? Help!
Old 03-29-2004, 07:58 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Well, it's supposed to be a pretty day here today. Unfortunately, I can't talk about it (literally). I have laryngitis. It came on suddenly on Sunday morning. As you might remember, I had a concert yesterday afternoon. My voice came back enough for me to sing and then left again. It's definitely worse this morning. I have no other symptoms. I have heard that the oak and pine pollen are very, very bad here, but I really don't have allergies that I know of. So, the best thing to do is not to talk. Some say that I should have stayed home, but I really don't feel bad otherwise .

Susan, please don't leave us. I always enjoy reading your posts and we can encourage you. I also have been very interested in your running progress. You ran 10 miles?? That's great. I have a question for you. Are you rewarding yourself with food after a good run? Or are you mentally telling yourself that you need more food to run? I know from watching my husband's running career that it's a great way to lose weight, so I think it can happen to you, too!!

I'm looking forward to my trip to Nashville (alone) this weekend to visit a friend of mine.

Hello to Pam, Melissa, and lala.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:19 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies! It's sunny here this morning and it's probably the only day we're going to see it! It's also very windy and later on the rain is supposed to move in and stay pretty much all week I'm planing on taking advantage of the weather (as long as it stays nice) and head out for a walk over my lunch hour. I also have yoga tonight so that'll help loosen my muscles up.

Susan: Congrats on running your first 10 miles!!! Susan, please don't move off of this board--we can give you support & encouragement. Maybe you need to re-evaluate what it is you're eating and see if there's anything different? A couple questions pop to mind--are you eating enough? too much? are you getting enough water? Those are just a few--I totally understand the frustration you're experiencing, hang in there! We'll help you through this!

Domina: I've had laryngitis before in the Spring and it's so frustrating--I feel great but no voice! It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it hits quick & hard. The best thing you can do is rest your voice (try not to talk). DH was just in Nashville this weekend and said the weather was gorgeous (80's) compared to our cool 50's.

Lala: Where are you???? I hope everything is okay and that your absence is due to you having fun!

Hi to Pam!

The weekends have been a struggle for me lately and so far I've been lucky in not gaining but I know that isn't going to continue if I keep this up. I want to set a mini-goal for this week--I will keep my journal up-to-date each and every day! Anyone care to join me?

Can you believe that Thursday is April 1st?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:05 AM   #4  

Melissa, since you're a WW employee, maybe you can help Susan. We don't want her to leave our group.

I'm concerned about lala. I know that she was going to do a fair amount of travel.

Yes, I heard that the weather was nice. Now I think I need to add shorts to my suitcase!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:28 PM   #5  

Thanks Domina and Melissa for the encouragement.

I know exactly what's wrong - too much of all the wrong foods. Basically, I've fallen out of all the good habits I accumulated while losing the weight back in 1999. Why? I'm not sure. Looking at the scale this morning was a real shocker. I realize I have to get really serious about what I'm eating.

Your support has given me some strength already. I have my journal with me today, and I've been drinking water since arriving at work this a.m. I need a solid week OP to get back on track; perhaps to see some downward motion on the scale.

I know that this running program would have the extra pounds falling off of me if I can get some control over my WOE. I guess that's why I'm sooo frustrated.

Thanks again for your help. I'm not going anywhere, but I'm certainly going to get serious about weight loss for the next few months.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:33 PM   #6  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

I am sorry I have been awol. My DP basically laid down the law and said no email or checking vm while on vacation.

However, I am also feeling the same way Susan is. I am continuing going up and not down and feel like a big fake. However, I had a good talk with my personal trainer today and he's not going to let me feel like a "loser". I feel better already.

Anyhoo, its going to be 70 degrees and beautiful here today. I am trying to get everything done so that I can mow the lawn when I return home. I actually like doing it. The garden is amazing and I wish I could keep up the color and beauty into the summer.

I had a good trip. Philadelphia was nice the two minutes I got out of my meetings. Washington DC was fine too. Nice train ride there. We had an noneventful trip to London, ate, walked around, saw another part of the wallace collection, slept, took the train the next day to edinburgh and enjoyed amazing food, sights and gardens. DP was pretty sick on the plane coming back, so we ended up staying in Boston and she never left the hotel room. I got a chance to see our friend who is ill and it was nice to see her.

How is everyone? I'll check out last weeks threads...

lala
Old 03-29-2004, 01:01 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Susan I know exactly how you feel about the weight gain. The same thing was happening to me, the number on the scale began slowly creeping up, so...I decided to join this thread for support and I began journaling again diligently. Unlike you, I am not good about exercising, but I will improve. I think we both know what needs to be done to keep the weight off, but sometimes we let things slip. I know another thing I have been doing too much of lately is eating out. When I did my grocery shopping last week I made a conscious effort to buy more fruits and vegetables and less of the low "point" junk food I like to have at night. Speaking of food and cooking at home, I went to see Rachael Ray from the Food Networks 30 Minute Meal show. She was at a local theatre in a "cook off" against some local chefs. It was a very good show. She prepared stuffed onions, which was similar to stuffed peppers. The audience didn't get the opportunity to taste, but the smell was terrific. Hang in there Susan and please keep posting, reading about your running is very inspirational.

[B]Domina[/B How did you like the play this weekend? You must be excited about your trip to Nashville this weekend. Hope your laryngitis doesn't stay around too long.

Melissa I'll journal with you. It will help to keep me honest

Well, I should get back to work. The weather is beautiful here today, sunny and relatively warm, but I'm hearing rain later on in the week.

Be Well

Pam
Old 03-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #8  

Susan: You might want to give the Fast Track a whirl--it really does get you back to basics. Or you could do a variation of it. The big thing with that is you don't eat processed foods. Once you get one day under your belt the next will follow. I'm making an effort to keep my journal up to date. I'm also working on getting my water in.

Lala: Thank goodness! We were worried about you! It's a beautiful 70 degrees here, too. I had a wonderful walk at noon. You can "smell" Spring. My mini daffodils are blooming in my rock garden, as are my crocuses. The regular daffodils are ready to burst and the tulips are coming up nicely. I love Spring!!!

Pam: I'm not a regular exerciser--my exercise is getting out when I can at noon for a walk and it's usually anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on how I feel. I've been trying to get out more and go up and down the steps at home more rather than sitting on my butt in evening. I like to watch Rachael Ray--she has some good recipes. Rain is coming our way as well and will stick with us the rest of the week.

I just bought the new WW Cookbook, Winners Circle, lots of good recipes. I'm going to be using my family as guinea pigs
Old 03-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Susan -- I am fastracking this week and next. It shouldn't be that bad, then again DP is out of town from Monday afternoons until late Thursday nights, so I have no excuse.

I kind of mixed it up this am though. I made a bread pudding with 9 grain light bread (2 pieces), egg beaters (for the egg whites), milk (could have been the grande latte that they wanted me to drink), and a bit of pumpkin pie spice and some dried cranberries. It was filling. For lunch, I will sneak out and get a salad and some bay shrimp to put on top.

I took two pounds of turkey breast meat out of the freezer to make some turkey burgers to use in a pinch.

lala
Old 03-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #10  

Welcome back lala. I've been so out of control that just sticking to 25 points a day would be fast track as far as my body is concerned. Seriously, I'm getting a lot of exercise with this training program, so I need to make sure I get enough of the right kind of fuel.

Hi Pam. You're so right about knowing what to do but just not putting it into practice. I also need to stay away from that "low-point food" trap and stick to the basics of fruits and veggies. I prefer this kind of food anyway, once I can wean myself off of the junk.

Thank you all for being so supportive. I'm sorry to be so focused on "me" today, but I really did get one h*** of a shock this morning.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #11  

Well, lifers, I have a third of my voice today. I'm still going to take it easy and try not to talk. I'm headed to lunch today with a friend who just got a new job. I told her about my laryngitis and said that would work well as she could do all the talking and tell me about the job!

The play was fantastic. It's called "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change." It's been a successful musical in New York for years. I just loved it. I even wrote a review for a website here that caters to us theater groupies.

I, too have been making some bad choices recently. I've been hitting the cookies again!! I haven't bought them at home, but I started buying them from the vending machine at work. Can you say "stupid?"

Pam, walking is my favorite exercise. I wasn't always regular with my walking, but now it's part of my day. If your exercise is scheduled, you just do it.

Susan, maybe the shock of your weight gain is just what you needed. You can lose it again and your running training will help it come off faster. I believe in you.

lala, welcome back. I missed you!! I'm glad your travels went well. Sorry DP was so sick; that is no fun when traveling. I've never really seen Philadelphia; been to D.C. many times. Did you see any cherry blossoms yet? It was probably too early. Good for you for getting back on track.

Melissa, that's what I miss--daffodils. They were always a sign that Spring had sprung! My petunias are doing very well. Now I want to get more. I mulched all of my flower beds last week, so they look much better. I do need more plants.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:25 AM   #12  

Good morning! It's a dreary morning here--rainy & gray. Perfect kind of day for curling up with a book & cup of tea.

Lala: I'm loosely following the Fast Track this week to get myself back on track. Lately I've been getting into the snacks I've bought for the kids and that's not good. I need to get rid of the junk.

Susan: How are things going today? Did your plan work out yesterday with keeping on track? I find that once I can get a couple of days in a row with eating more healthy that I'm on my way. The first couple days are rough.

Domina: While I was out walking yesterday a noontime I noticed that people are getting the mulch down around their flowers--you could smell it and the birds were chirping quite a bit. I'm glad your voice is coming back.

Pam: I actually look forward to my walks at lunchtime now. Once the school year ends I can get to work earlier and get a walk in before work and before it gets too warm. I work in an area that's ideal for walking--lots of tree-lined streets and perfect for walking.

This morning I heard cardinals outside and that's a sure sign that the weather is getting better. I focused on getting my water in yesterday along with keeping an accurate journal--even though the food choices weren't the best I still wrote it down. I need to work on this because I've been lax in this area the past couple of weeks. We have our big staff meeting for WW on Saturday and I need to get myself together before that.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #13  
si, si signora

oooh cardinals. I think we mostly have little brown and grey birds. I want birds with colour.

Didn't over eat last night, but didn't stay right on the fasttrack either. I had a small blip with a crystal light slurpee (I thought it would be points free -- its not) and some corn tortilla crackers with a smear of peanut butter and honey for a after dinner (turkey burger) snack. I did mow the lawn after all....

Exercise is all done today. I am concentrating on water.

More later...

lala
Old 03-30-2004, 01:25 PM   #14  

Good afternoon. It's a beautiful day here, but still a little on the cool side.

Domina: Maybe a shock was just what I needed. I managed to stay within points yesterday and drank lots of water. And I'm on track so far today. Hope you regain your voice soon.

Melissa: Cardinals are so pretty. We saw lots of them when we visited VA a few years ago. The only colourful birds we see besides robins are bluejays, and they're noisy!

Pam: Finding an exercise you like can make all the difference. I was a couch potato until I "discovered" running. I'm kind of addicted now.

lala: You mowed the lawn!! That does it - no more flower or bird talk from any of you folks. Whaaaa - I want spring!

I went for my first tanning session last night. Yes, I know it's bad for you, but so is arriving in Cuba and burning to a crisp because your skin hasn't seen the sun in six months. I bought a package of 10 visits; that should give me a decent base and perhaps a touch-up visit when I return home. BTW, I couldn't use those beds on a regular basis; much too claustrophobic.

I also saw my doctor yesterday for a nagging pain in my left arm. She's sending my to physio and has prescribed an anti-inflammatory. This has been bugging me for over 7 weeks; nice to think there may be an end in sight.

We tackle more hills tonite. Sigh...my instructor says hills rock -- but 7 in a row???.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon,

I left the house this morning at 7:00 and there were snow flurries!! But.. the day is turning out well, kind of cold and windy but at least the sun is shining. Not much blooming here for at least a few more weeks. Hope everyone is having a good day and doing well with food choices. I think yesterday's discussion helped me make better choices last night and so far doing pretty well today.

Domina Glad you enjoyed the play. I saw it a few months ago and thought it was great. I'm going to NY to see Mama Mia this weekend. Really looking forward to that.

Melissa Even though its a little chilly, I am definately going to take a walk this afternoon. I use to belong to the gym here at work,but things got so hectic in my department that I stopped going. I need to make some time regularly and start going back again. Exercise played a big part in my weight loss and I can't forget that!

Lala Hi..I began journaling a few weeks ago on this thread while you were away. Nice to "meet" you.

Susan Hope things are going better today. When are you leaving for Cuba?

Well I better get back to work.

Pam
Closed Thread