Old 03-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default from the news... lack of carbs affects moods.

I read this in this morning's news, and I've never heard anything like this before. I'd like opinions from those that might know. If this is true, then people with a history of depression or mood swings should avoid very low carb diets such as Atkins.

I'm not asking for people to defend low carb diets We all know that everyone is unique, with different physical needs or lifestyles that dictate some diets over others. As far as weight loss goes, all diets have the potential to promote weight loss, the trick is finding one that fits your personal needs so you can stick to it. That said, this article is not related to low carb effect on weight loss, but is referring to how the lack of carbs causes the brain to stop producing seratonin, which is necessary to regulate moods.

Quote:
Atkins diet may cause emotional 'zombies'.
Manila Bulletin; 3/25/2004

BOSTON (DPA) Low carbohydrate regimens like the Atkins diet could lead to mood swings and depression and leave slimmers feeling like "an emotional zombie," researchers have claimed.

The controversial high-protein, low-carb Atkins diet has prompted criticism from many doctors who fear it could increase the risk of long-term health problems such as kidney damage, high cholesterol and diabetes.

More research in America has now suggested it could also affect mental health, leaving dieters feeling grumpy, tired, apathetic and restless.

Dr. Judith Wurtman and her colleagues, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technologys (MIT) clinical research center, found that when you stop eating carbohydrates, your brain stops regulating serotonin.

This chemical elevates mood and suppresses appetite, and eating carbohydrates naturally stimulates its production.

Antidepressant drugs make serotonin more active in the brain and help regulate mood. But carbohydrates raise serotonin levels naturally, acting as a natural tranquilizer.

The MIT research looked at serotonin levels in the brains of 100 volunteers who ate different diets, either with a lot of meat and other high-protein foods, or with more carbohydrates, found in breads and cereals.

They found that the brain only made serotonin after a person ate sweet or starchy carbohydrates. But they said the "kicker" was that the carbohydrates needed to be eaten in combination with very little or no protein.

This could explain why some people eating a large steak could still feel hungry because their brains may not be making enough serotonin to shut down their appetites. Because women have less serotonin in their brains than men, a diet low in foods which promote its production could leave them feeling particularly irritable.

Dr. Wurtman said: "There are people we call carbohydrate cravers who need to eat a certain amount of carbohydrates to keep their moods steady. Carbohydrate cravers experience a change in their mood, usually in the late afternoon or mid-evening, and with this mood change comes a yearning to eat something sweet or starchy."

Dr. Wurtman said if someone ate protein when they craved carbohydrates, they would become grumpy, irritable or restless. On top of this, filling up on fatty foods like meat and cheese added to feelings of tiredness, lethargy and apathy.

Dr. Wurtman said eating a lot of fat would make you "an emotional zombie."

"When you take away the carbohydrates, its like taking away water from someone hiking in the desert.

"If fat is the only alternative for a no- or low-carb dieter to consume to satiate the cravings, its like giving a beer to the parched hiker to relieve the thirst temporary relief, but ultimately not effective," she said.

Dr. Wurtman added: "Serotonin is crucial not only to control your appetite and stop you from overeating, its essential to keep your moods regulated."

COPYRIGHT 2004 Manila Bulletin Publishing Corp.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #2  
Head Princess

Interesting. I don't have a history of depression, but I have experienced lots of mood swings in the past. I would have to say that my experience has been very opposite of this article. I don't feel hungry or unsatisfied. My moods (even during PMS) have stabilized. And I'm pretty much happy and upbeat all the time.

I don't know if I can attribute it all to this WOE, but I do know that I'm feeling better about myself which is bound to have an effect on mood. I'm also exercising regularly so maybe the endorphins have something to do with it. So whether it's a direct result of cutting the carbs or not, for me, the changes have been extremely positive.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:47 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

My mood swings and weight gain are the reason Im back on Atkins. Ive never had such an even balance in my moods when Im on Atkins. During pms, its amazing, I still get weepy, but I dont feel like Im falling apart on Atkins.

I am not hungry, and I dont feel deprived....so it works for me.

Like you said Suzanne, everyone is different...but this works for me.

Robin
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #4  
Mouth of the South

I have suffered with depression and severe PMS for as long as I can remember. As far as being an emotional zombie, the Zoloft an anti-depressant that increases Seratonin, really made me a zombie. My PMS and depression, and allergies has improved drastically since I have been on Atkins.

I have always had a sensitivity to processed sugar and processed carbs. Cutting them out has improved the quality of my life, and it also has helped to stabilize my blood sugar.

Like you said, this isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

Last edited by Catgirl67; 03-25-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

I will have to say I have been fighting off some severe depression the past couple of months. I have not had any real mood swings- no highs and lows just lows.... I have been depressed before and well hadn't had any problems for several years prior to going on Atkins.... Did not connect the two by any means and they still may not have anything to do with each other.
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

I have to say that usually at least 2 1/2 weeks out of my 5 week long cycle I'm usually an emotional basketcase! However, since doing Atkins that has considerably dimished. I still have the occaisional bad day from time to time, but they seem to be fewer and farther between.

I will have to second Star's remark though. These reactions could be because I'm more confident, feel more in control overall and have definitely increase my exercise. All these things could have contributed!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:33 PM   #7  

I have noticed no difference in my moods....not up or down....same as always. At least I think so.....maybe I should ask the hubby.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

I had PMS so bad the doctor wanted me to go on anti-depressants (which I refused). I instead went and started taking herbal supplemants and then exchanged that for pre-menopause stuff. I can honestly say I've quit taking EVERYTHING. I occassionally have a bout of "the blues" but nothing compared to before. I no longer have the black cloud over my head ALWAYS and my outlook on life has improved. So for me it's an improvement and I'll continue on this way.
And a side note about the high cholestrol thing--my DA (or is that PA?) told me that she has the healthiest friends who eat right, exercise, do the whole 9 yards and STILL have high cholestrol. Some people no matter what they do are just GOING to have problems with that. So why pin it on Atkins (cuz it's easier, I know). It's amazing!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 02:47 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I've had no sign of SAD this year (except when I look at cake )

Seriously, I haven't had the need for meds this year, what an awesome feeling.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:30 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
More research in America has now suggested it could also affect mental health, leaving dieters feeling grumpy, tired, apathetic and restless.
All I would like to say is that all the symptoms above fit me to a tee.. BEFORE I started Atkins. Yes there are days of downs but not even an ounce compared to what I had before starting this WOE. Everyone is different and I can understand how this may effect some people, however I can't even remember the last time I have felt this good. I'd have to say that my results are completely opposite.
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:31 PM   #11  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I went through a period of emotional depression over the past few years - but I attributed that to my weight problems in general and a divorce in my extended family. However, since eliminating carbs and sugar from my diet I FINALLY feel like myself again. My husband is loving this new me - emotionally that is! Not sure if it has anything to do with carbs though, I think it's more the sugar. Logically if you limit sugar and you increase your exericse you WILL feel better both physically and emotionally. There are no highs and lows in blood sugar without those nasty carbs.
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #12  

Ditto on the fact that I am doing BETTER now, it has only been 3 weeks but I feel more of an even keel now. My DH has commented that I'm "more fun" lately. I have increased my activity level, that might be why too.
Journey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Journey Girl that is funny!

My DH basically told me when I showed him this post, that I was screwed up before I started Atkins that the diet wasn't affecting me.... He would pretty much do/say anything to get me down to pre-pregnancy weight though Who know why?
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #14  
tjw

Well all I can add is that truly for the first time in my life, I AM HAPPY! I've all my life (self-diagnosed) tended to have manic-depressive tendencies, never been on meds though, just "dealt with it"...about twice a year (usually April and August) I would get really bad and have a "mini breakdown" or at least WANT to...
I've had a lot of changes---for the good---in the past couple of years, and those helped drastically improve my "mental well-being"...still seemed "on the borderline" though at times...
Last August, I started a new job, and then one week into the new job, I started living the Atkins life...Well, all I know is that now, LIFE IS GOOD! I know everything---the new job, changing to Atkins, and the resultant 49.5 pound weight-loss thus far ---has combined/worked together in "bringing together the broken pieces of my life"...I'm not buying into the articles theory here about the 'lack of carbs'---the lack of carbs (well the lack of ALOT of carbs ) has done nothing but IMPROVE and STABILIZE my mentality! Same goes for my sister and mother who are also "living the Atkins life"...
Also, re this:
"The controversial high-protein, low-carb Atkins diet has prompted criticism from many doctors who fear it could increase the risk of long-term health problems such as kidney damage, high cholesterol and diabetes."
My Mom has had Type II diabetes for years and years...her blood sugar has improved so much that her doctors are going to be taking her off some of her meds; her blood pressure and cholesterol are vastly improved as well...Her last doctor visit was the first time they've really "noticed/acknowledged" the 40 pounds she has lost...her Doc was very impressed and asked info about 'the plan"...My sister has AMAZED her Doctor, and he TAKE NOTES from her whenever she has an appointment!
All I can suggest is that the researchers probably need to study all of us here, as our results totally contradict their findings
tjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #15  
The Princess O' Pets

I feel amazing while on Atkins I have been the happiest and most engery filled , more than I have been in YEARS. Previous to being on Atkins I was much more moody and depressed. I attribute that to my body image not being where I wanted it to be and feeling powerless to fix it.

I want to also say congrats to all the posters on here that said they refused anti-depression meds from their doctor or don't need it anymore. Doctors in our country are WAY to fast to medicate than help fix the real problems!!!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote