South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 06:17 AM   #1  
Buggin' with Pugs

Default Pulling up my Lounger!!!!

Ok. I did it I went out and bought everything I needed for the first two weeks. I will do my prepping a day in advance. That is the hardest part to me! Goodheavens!! So much PREP. It would be easier to pick up a Slim Fast bar and hit the road. For the last 2 weeks I went vegetarian, with a 3 pound loss, and I felt pretty dang good. However, I still think I was lacking something, denser proteins or something.....so now I am here with you wonderful beachers and pulling up my lounge chair.

Can anyone give me some clues as to what the first two weeks will be like and frankly I really do not like asparagus....can I do brocolli?

I am starting my adventure tomorrow, Monday. I ate some bad things, very bad things yesterday and will take it easy today now that those things are not an issue. I really did not want them even, ironically, I made myself. Some reverse self psychology.

I am also going to bump up my cycling to 4 miles. Lets see if my butt can handle that. All that fat and a dang bike seat still finds those boney areas...OWch!

Ok share with me your first week hints!!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:49 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well! Looky! Looky! Welcome to The Beach! It looks to me as if you are pretty darn ready for Phase I. The usual hints apply: plan snacks, stick with the allowed food list and don't worry about following the SUGGESTED menus.
Of course you can do broccoli! You can have mine as I hate it cooked and tolerate it raw. I'll take your asparagus.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #3  

welcome to the beach!!! you are so right the prep is the worst part. all i can say is planning is everything. i take my snacks and lunch to work everyday and have no problems staying op. the weekends thats another story. hope you enjoy your stay on the beach!!!
Old 03-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #4  

Welcome RubensMuse!

I just finished the first week. You are right about preparation -- you don't find prepared SBD foods easily when you are out and about! Just don't let yourself get hungry. Carry some nuts with you in your car.

It also helps that the nature of my work gives me my own office so I can have a small refrigerator. I stock it for the week with things like packaged salads, lofat cheese, canned tuna, etc.

Finally, check in here with the chicks often! It really, really helps to know you are not alone in the struggle.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:18 AM   #5  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the beach Rubensmuse! It's good that you are trying hard to prepare well. Make some of the veggie quiche cups, and don't be afraid to sub different ingrediants. Don't try making them in paper cups because you'll either have to eat the paper or leave half of your mini quiche on it! Good Luck! Weigh in is tomorrow morning so be sure to check in!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #6  
Buggin' with Pugs

Jennie, girl you read my mind!!!! I was just about to mix these things and stick them in the oven and was thinking, how will you get them off the paper?? haha. Anyway, Ruth, I told myself that I will follow the suggested menus as close as possible at least for the first week, so that I saty focused and adjust to the difference better, but thanks for the alternative measures...oh and catch! Asparagus toss!!

Now I do wonder about beverages. Did I miss somethign in the book? What can we drink? I love my Soymilk can I still have it????? What are you ladies doing about this? Daquairi????heehee.

Thanks for all the welcomes! You guys are so cool!!!

Last edited by RubensMuse; 03-14-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

Water, tea, coffee, skim milk and soy milk to two cups but no dancy dancy boozy drinks. Nice try!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Hey, Rubens! How the heck are ya, darlin'?!
You HAVE to have asparagus for the entire first two days.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:42 PM   #9  

It is important to find foods (especially vegies) that you like especially for the first few weeks. The hardest part that I found was all that cooking so I simplified things a little. I have been eating lots of salads because I can prepare one to take for work and leave another in the fridge for dinner while I am cooking my breakfast. I take my lunch salad with low-fat deli meat or a pouch of tuna or salmon. I take low-fat yogurt for morning tea and sometimes afternoon tea. I take an assortment of nuts, low-fat cheese, little tomatoes, vegie sticks or whatever is around for my snacks. The important thing is PLAN! You will get through lots of vegies and salad ingredients so it is important to buy lots then they are at hand when you need to prepare a meal or snack.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:07 AM   #10  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Default be prepared

I found the biggest hurddle was having only things you CAN have ready and in the house. I have found on other diets, that if I didn't have the right foods around, I would stray. I make sure every week I buy the things I will need so there is no excuse for me to not eat right. That and I've always been in the habit of NEVER keeping chips, cookies, etc in my house. In the past if I got a craving, I knew I would have to just ride it out since I woldn't keep those things around. That and be creative with your meals. I don't really care for asparagus on it's own, but in the grilled veggie mix recipe in the book, it was delicious!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:41 AM   #11  
Buggin' with Pugs

Thanks everyone I am taking your suggestions to heart. Today is Day one Phase one for me. I spent yesterday cutting, chopping, mixing and bagging. I made my little breakfast quiches too, sans the paper cup. I just sprayed a little "nothing-grease" on the pan, removed some with a papertowel and they slid right on out. I put each in their own little baggy for quick grabbing. I made the ricotta desserts, each in their own Tupperware. I like that dessert. I ate something very similar in a restaurant in California a few years back ---- Let's see I mixed my cilantro mayo, sliced up my chicken boobs........Let's just say there is no excuse.

Last night ladies. I ate a BBQ hamburger, with cheeze and bacon. I even ate the fries. Then I had some of the Hubs ice cream. I had heartburn and stomach cramps all night. Good for me!!!!! I did this on purpose. Ironically, I was not craving these things, I ate them as a means to do a little reverse psychology on myself. I had been eating really well and feeling well, last night I felt like crap. The message is loud and clear. I did not feel like I was cheating, I did not feel like I was doing anything wrong. So there was no guilt involved for me to feel 'against' myself. __ Simply I felt like hurling, felt heavy, felt lathergic and sick....I do not not want to repeat that feeling. And since in a way I forced myslef to eat those things, makes me more determined to no repeat it...Make sense? Or do you guys think I need shock therapy?? heha.

Keep the suggestions coming!!!! I love it!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:47 AM   #12  

I wanted to welcome you to the beach, Rubens!!! Glad you're here!
Traci
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #13  

yeah, Hi Rubensmuse (great name).

On the bevvies front, in phase one I drank lots of water (such a booster, nearly as good as Shiraz only not quite). Also I drank lots of black coffee as I decided that Dr A was not clear enough in his proscription of it. Although I think some people find that it does not help and even hinders, so you might want to experiment with that.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:59 AM   #14  

I just reread my post. It makes me look degenerate.

I also ate loads of fresh veggies (mostly raw) and ran 15 miles at dawn each morning. I took up community work and performed a purification ritual every morning. I followed Dr A's advice to the letter.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Clovey IS degenerate, Reubens!
Closed Thread