Old 03-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #1  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default Something I thought of...

Most of you might not recognize me... but I have been here lurking all along. I joined the Atkins board way back in September.

I recently had surgery and have not been following Atkins at all - my goal is to get back to it after we move into our house. Very long story there... but we are finally moving next weekend. For those of you who know what we have been dealing with, you can all cheer.

So, my 2 yo daughter, Bridget, has some extensive food allergies. She is allergic to Avocados, Bananas, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Soy & Wheat. That doesn't leave much she CAN eat except fruits and vegetables, chicken and steak, and beans & rice. She will not be exposed to seafood or nuts, if I can help it, until she is 7. This is her entire diet with the exception of the occasional popsicle and gummy bear that her daddy slips her.

I was eating something the other day that she could not eat due to her allergies. I don't know what it was, but it was something I shouldn't have been eating either due to my weight. Anyhow, I told her "I'm sorry honey, but you can't have this - it would make you very sick."

And, then it dawned on me. Eating it was also making ME sick - just in a different way. So, when I get back to Atkins, this is going to be my motto and mantra - "eating it will make you sick." If I have to tell my daughter this, I can certainly tell myself!!!

It's so strange. I am so extremely strict about what she eats, because I HAVE to be... and yet it somehow doesn't follow through to what I eat - and yet all the unhealthy carbs are making me just as sick. It may not be a life-threatening anaphylactic allergy - but it is life-threatening just the same.

This was my "ah-HA!" moment with regard to Atkins and diet in general and I thought I would share with you.

I plan on coming back to the board more regularly after we move and I can participate more.

Cheers!!
StorybookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:41 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 6"

Lisa,
Moving into a new home, how exciting! The actual moving part stinks but afterwards it's all fun, and what great exercise.
When I first started Atkins I told my girls what I can and can't eat. Everyday they would ask me if I could have something and I would tell them "no Mommy's not allowed to eat that anymore" Then it turned into a little game, they would be sitting there with McDonald's and I'd try to sneak a fry. NO MOM and my youngest (7yrs) would snatch it out of my hand. I wasn't really going to eat it, it was more of a test My kids watch out for me very closely. Good thing too, more then once without even thinking about it I have I just stuck my hand into a potatoe chip bag that they were munchin on and was promptly reminded that it was a no no. I think it's just great.. maybe try to get your little one involved with your "sick foods" and she can have the pleasure of keeping you on track as you do to her
Take Care and hope to see you again soon.
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #3  
Movin' and Losin'

Lisa: A big "HOORAY!!!" for the new house! I know you guys needed somewhere else to live! I hope the move goes well.

What a great revelation! Sometimes it takes things like that to really kick us into gear. I'm glad to see you're still around and are getting back to Atkins. I look forward to seeing you around more!

Take care,
Jina
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #4  

Lisa: We missed you. Glad you got your own place finally. I know that was weighing heavy on your mind.

Congrats on the revelation!

Talk to you more when you get back.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #5  
The Princess O' Pets

Lisa!!! Great to se you back and That was a great Ah-Ha moment!!!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote