South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #1  

Default South Beach compared to Somersize?

How does South Beach compare to Suzanne Somers' Somersize plan?

I've read her books but haven't tried the program. However, I did read and try both Carbohydrate Addicts and Atkins. Didn't have luck with either one. Didn't lose any weight on them after trying for 2-3 weeks, but did end up gaining a ton of weight once I stopped them.

Atkins made me feel like something great big was sitting on my heart. Awful, awful, heavy feeling. It was scary.

I'm 5'0", 37 years old, very small frame beneath all this weight that I need to lose, and currently weigh 175. Looked and felt my best when my weight stayed right around 100 lbs.

Haven't read the South Beach book but I have read about it online and looked over the food lists here at this site. Are there other things that I need to know besides the food lists? Or do I just start eating that way and gradually add the other food lists to it at the right times?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I think the plans are similar. However, I think Suzanne allows sat-fats which Dr Agatson does NOT allow. He is first and foremost a cardiologist so heart health is one of his prime concerns. I have found the plan very easy to follow and have stabilized my blood glucose levels while on it. (Quite frankly, I found the Somers plan and the rules about when to eat what sort of silly and restrictive! The book did have some great recipes, however. )

I strongly advise you to get the book as it gives you lots of information about the reasons for eating this way. Yes, there is info on the Board in the FAQ section and on the South Beach website but nothing beats picking up the book now and then to refresh your memory.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #3  
resident lactivist

Suzanne Somers's books are, from all I have read, your typical low-carb stuff. South Beach is not low-carb at all. It is a good-carb diet. Once you are past the initial two week introductory period, which is low-carb but is also low-fat, it is a low-GI diet. (GI: Glycemic Index, a measure of how different foods affect your bloodsugar; basically the lower the number the longer you'll stay full.) I agree with Ruth that the book is really indispensable. I got my copy through Amazon.com for about $15; I believe it is also now available in softcover but don't quote me on it. The book is very helpful because not only does it give you food lists but it gives a good many recipes (the ones I have tried are very good!) & even sample menus, two weeks for each phase. Also, I think it is very helpful that he explains the why of the diet, as well as the how.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #4  
kpw

Let's see - a program based on years of research by a cardiologist, or one sponsored by a ditsy blonde actress? Hmmm.

Sorry, couldn't resist, that was unfair. I haven't researched Somersize and I'm sure it's had some able nutrionists guiding the program.

I find SBD works as a healthy and practical way of eating vs any of the other diets I've looked into (Atkins, no way I could do that kind of fat and never have fruit. Zone/Balance , similar to SBD of course, bu having to constantly think about whether or not I'm eating the right balance of fat/protein/carbs is tedious. Never bothered with WW or Jenny Craig or the others that package food for you.) Now that I'm on Phase II, the 'avoid' list seems small and manageable. I think I'll be on the beach for quite a while.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #5  

I bought the South Beach book and I liked what he had to say. It is not a low carb diet though.

I did South Beach for 2 weeks to a *T* and didn't loose a single pound on it though So I was very dissapointed with that!! But I did feel good while eating the protein and low glycemic carbs--my blood sugar was very stable which for me is very important since I have problems with that, so I have decided to follow his plan but stay within my weight watchers points to make *sure* I lose weight. I know a lot of other people in real life who did not loose any weight with South Beach either so I dont know, but I belive in what he has to say 100% even if I didn't lose weight with it. It is a very healthy "diet", you don't feel hungry with it because the protein and carbs keep you full. I just didn't loose any weight with it though.

Skinnymini
187/185/150
Closed Thread