Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-06-2004, 07:58 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Wink Weekend Chat - March 6th and 7th

Good Morning Everyone,

Its raining here in NJ and its not expected to stop until some time tomorrow. Lets see, I've been up since 6 am, sitting here typing this while dd eats her bowl of cheerio's and now she's slurping the milk from the bottom of the bowl...... Gosh forbid she miss a drop

Nothing planned today, just some cleaning and my sisters might pop in later on.

Tomorrow if its not to bad out, I'll prob go to Church and then come home and cook a roast for the week. But first I have to see whats on sale at the super market.

Sweetpea, your friend Lynn was definitly in my prayers last night. I don't even know her but boy did I weep praying for her and her family. Please keep us updated on her

Cathy, how's the hungries ? you doing okay ?

Watcha all doing today ?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Wow Leenie, You are up so bright and early on a rainy Saturday morning. I am such a slacker. I need to start getting up earlier, again. I hope that you have a peaceful weekend.

I bought some fresh fruit, (grapes, bananas, and apples), and a huge bag of fresh spinich, along with a 8 lb. bag of frozen mixed fruit at Sams yesterday. No excuses now for not snacking or eating healthfully.

Later today..probably after lunch, I am heading over to my mother in laws house. She is going to love on her grandchildren while I (try) to get 2 information pages on myself done for a scrapbook for my new job. (I recently signed on with a hospital doula practice and they have a doula scrapbook where their doulas tell/show about themselves, their family, etc.) I swear that my creative side left me when I gave birth to my daughter almost 5 years ago, lol.

Anyways, I will try to post later tonight but it just depends; You all know how it goes.

Later,
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang!

Sweetpea, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! I am praying with Leenie and all of you. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing. Leenie, that was a beautiful and heartfelt prayer you posted yesterday! hugs!

Leenie, I'll be honest, I'm not doing ok. I'm gonna keep this short (ha), but I am discouraged and overwhelmed - no big deal - just am. My scale started at 205 four weeks ago when I started atkins. I originally lost 3 lbs, then in the next few days those 3 lbs were back - I thought no big deal just a fluke, well not only have those 3 lbs stayed, I have found another 1.5 lbs, so my scale has stayed at 206.5 all this week. I feel ok on atkins but I'm concentrating on counting carbs when you know that I absolutely have to count my calories. Apparently I am eating too much, or it may be that the weight is up bec I cannot exercise like I need too.

On top of everything else my mother's blood pressure is up sky high and they can't get it down, so they doubled her meds and told her not to do anything for at least a week. That means I need to do everything for my grandmother - which means I have even more things to do and less time to exercise. (I am also involved in planning 2 weddings and putting together one of the showers, along with work, home, teenagers, youth and everything else that I normally have going on.)

I'm not throwing a pity party here - it's just that it really doesn't matter to anybody but me about my weight and I just don't have the time or energy to worry about myself and even when I do - heck I don't lose weight - it's just discouraging.

Sooooooooooo yesterday I had me a big ole fit and ate what I wanted for lunch without thinking about it - didn't write it or count it or nuthin - just ate it. But I did just have a salad for supper. So for now I will just do my best to keep ever thing low carb and keep up with my calories. It's all I can do for now.

And to be honest, I feel bad even posting this with the thought of so many people with much bigger problems and such serious health problems and some hanging on for dear life, but I knew someone would be wondering what happened to my "atkins" food log.

I'm just doing the best I can girlies.

On top of everything else I've also came down with an awful sore throat (cold or something) which I certainly don't have time for. :-)

I've got some cleaning to do and will check back later.

I hope everybody is having a good day.

hugs,
cathy

(sorry for the whining - I tried to keep to the facts)
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:32 AM   #4  
Divine Gal

Cathy your body maybe retaining water due to all the stress sweetie...I think you are doing great; have you taken meausrements.You maybe losing the inches...I know its disappointing... Hang in there sweetie...

I have no clue what I am doing this weekend....

Hope everyone has a decent day.

*hugs*
lynnie
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #5  

Cathy, I only have a second and I wanted to suggest something that might make your life a bit easier right now.
Your sons would in all probablity clean the house, do the laundry and cook some meals for you right now. That would free up your time for all that you have to do. Just a thought.....
Got to go...literally.....took two diuretics.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 02:00 PM   #6  

Good morning ladies

It is a grey day here.....not too cold though. I did good eating yesterday.....we had pizza last night.....I just had the amount that would be 8 points....& not anymore.

DS3 is supposed to come over today.....to fix the computer some more.....2 of our sons are really good at fixing computers....it really helps....then we don't have to pay someone.

Snoopysgirl.....I buy the bag of mixed fruit at Costco.....it is really good.....also buy the bag of mixed berries they have & the stawberries also.....DH even eats them now.

Cathy.....I feel like that at times.....you are sticking to the eating plan.....but you stay the same or gain. This happened to me....so I tried other things.....then I went back to doing WW.....always had success there.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #7  

April, I make smoothies with the frozen fruit. I puree the mixed fruit, frozen with some water. Then, I add a banana and blend that to help make it creamy without adding dairy. Sometimes I add some raw, shelled sunflower seeds and puree those in..when I am really needing protein. After all the blending I add some ground flax seed. Gotta get those omega fatty acids in when you are a woman -- especially when you struggle with depression, I think.

Anyways...
Old 03-06-2004, 08:36 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Cathy, remember I told you I gained 3 lbs my 3rd week on atkins, well thats when I figured it was calories. Thats why when I post my food, I also post my calories. No matter what diet you are on, bottom line is calories in, calories out. You HAVE to watch them period. Its been alot of weeks for me not losing and I've been OP. I've just been eating to many calories. Get a digital scale to weigh your foods and measure measure measure.... you can do this. Your dealing with so much more than your weight, you've got more on your plate then alot of us. So don't be so hard on yourself, your not a failure, it happens to alot of us. Go back on plan, start counting and I bet it starts to drop again. HUGS

Jenni have fun w/your scrapbooking, I lost alot when I had DD also lol

April, Tippy and Lynnie good to see y'all
Old 03-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #9  

Happy Sunday Morning all,

I could have slept forever..the baby was even cooperating...then the phone rang and it was my Dad long distance. So, I jump out of bed and am all worried..turns out he just called to tell me that they found "Minty" my daughter Sarah's pony that we lost when we were visiting a few months ago. Okay. Happy but now wide awake.

I did pretty good yesterday aside from majorly pigging out on Dominos Pizza last night when Dh suprised me with it. Well, it is okay. This is what I think. I have been making major efforts to get back on track. I have started exercising on the treadmill every day for at least 30 min. This next week it will get upped to 40 min. I have started eating more veggies...slowly but surely.

Enjoy the nice weather for those of us who have it. Everyone else..stay cozy inside.

Later,
Old 03-07-2004, 11:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

hi ladies... cast is off my hand (were hairline fractures so am still being very careful)... Mom left yesterday ... doctor gave her ok for her to be on her own... and I turned in final version of thesis to my advisor yesterday.

This thesis has cost me 20 pounds over the past few years. Going to school and working full time, toss in a family... and ... well.. food was just too much of a comfort and coping mechanism.... never mind depression issues.

Anyway.. am going to start walking daily... take my faithful patient dog with me... get back on a food program, GET to the TOPS meetings and generally find a life.

Hope all is well with everyone. Hang in if you're struggling... suddenly, the sun will break thru the gloom.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #11  

Hi JudoMom,

Congrats on freedom from the cast. Also, mega congrats on completing and turning in your thesis. Wow. It is just a paper...yet, so much of yourself invested into completing that and it just is HUGE, ya know? I haven't been through much college, yet completing other certifications, (doula work and also working towards certification in childbirth education)..I know how difficult it is to make time to put into research and documentation..and still fulfill demands of wife/mom/etc. I hope that NOW you can find time to nurture yourself too. It is so important. Make time...it will pay off.

PS.. What are you studying towards? Just wondered what the fruit of all your time is going to be. Later.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #12  

Good morning ladies

DH & I went out for Chinese food last night....friends from Vancouver came to visit their daughter. So.....the eating plan went out the window.....but I am back with it today.
After dinner....we rented a movie....The Missing....it was a good movie.

DH is tiling the laundry room in the basement.....the tiles are down now....next thing for him to do is put the grout in.

Don't have any plans for today....do a bit of cleaning.....do some of my crossword puzzles from the paper.....read my book.

Snoopysgirl.....I sometimes make smoothies from the frozen peaches in the bag of mixed fruit....I use milk....a bit of Splenda......I do it when the peaches are still frozen.....it is so good.
Most of the time I defrost the frozen fruit....put a little Splenda in it.....it's good that way too.

Cathy.....I have come to to realize this weight loss process can be slow.....have been doing it for almost 6 months now....this is the 1st time I have done it this long.....there can be weeks where I stayed the same for 2 or 3 weeks....I know....this can be frustrating at times.

Hi Judo Mom.....good to see you here.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:08 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Judomom, glad to know your hand is better and the cast is off. I give you a whole whoppin load of credit going to school, work and a family. Thats such a heavy load. I know I can't do it. I tried going back to school a few years ago and I didn't have dd at the time. Just a full time job and I found it was to much for me. I would cry every night after school. Cheer's to you.

Hey Jenni, domino's huh....drool. Good for you for getting back on track.

April you too ?? chinese.... double drool lololol. Hope you enjoyed it.

Well I got on the scale this morning to see and it didn't budge. For 3 months I haven't lost an ounce. Here we go again I'm not dissapointed just gonna figure out what I'm seriously doing wrong and correct it. Like I said b/4 to cathy, to many calories is one. I think those pork rinds are doing me in too. sigh ...

Anyway, have a good evening everyone

HUGS