South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:50 PM   #1  

Default Tuna Question

Hey there, just wondering how you eat your tuna? I'm used to eating it with mayo (fat free), onion & pickled asparagus. Can I still have that on phase 1 or do I have to omit the ff mayo?

Any other ideas for eating tuna are greatly appreciated as well!!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #2  

Get a fat free mayo or just buy flavoured tuna. I buy the flavoured ones (check the fat and carbo level) and use them to top a green salad. If I am going to friends for dinner or BBQ's I now take a platter of sliced cucumber (used as crackers) with flavoured tunas and cottage cheese topped with vege slivers like capsicum or raw mushroom. At least I have something to eat when the soft cheeses and crackers come out. This could be a nice snack if you are home. You could also make tuna roll ups with lettuce leaves.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #3  

Thanks Chick
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM   #4  

Bumping this up with a mayo question.........what are people's views on the full fat mayo vs. reduced fat but with sugars mayos??

I have been having some full fat mayo as Dr A seems to suggest you can even in phase one. But I worry I eat too much of it. Any ideas??

BTW I sqeeze lime juice over my tuna. Yummy.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:08 AM   #5  
A Lily from my yard!

I eat reg mayo. The lf or ff just does not taste the same. I love to roll up the ham or turkey dip it in mayo and eat it. I am a big mayo person so i was very happy to see I could eat reg. mayo. Bring out the Hellman's bring out the best! tee-hee
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Dr A says regular mayo - not Miracle Whip - although he does have low fat or ff in some of his recipes. Hellman's IS the best - next to my own homemade recipe.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #7  

Question

Oh, see I definitely was confused about that one. So, just to clarify:

Regular Full Fat (preferably Hellmans) Mayo is the best (because it has no sugar?)

Fat Free and low fat Mayo are acceptable but not as good because they contain sugar?

So how much Regular Full Fat mayo is acceptable (1 Tbsp per day?)

Sorry to be a ditz, I thought I was doing the preferred thing by having the Fat Free.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

I use low-fat Hellman's.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:57 PM   #9  

I use regular mayo, I hate low fat mayo anyways.

I do not measure it or anything. Usually everyday I made a chicken salad with real mayo in it and I just put in however much I want until it is coated (which is certainly more than 1 T, maybe 1/4 cup?)....and I have been loosing weight just fine so far Of course that is the only thing I use it with but I don't measure any of my fats like olive oil, etc I just use however much I need and don't fret about it, doesn't seem to be hurting me any with weight loss, pants I could not fit into last week fit me this week.

Skinnymini
Old 03-05-2004, 05:48 AM   #10  

I think the thing about mayo is this.........it is mayo. it is basically fat held together with fat. So we all KNOW that it is something to be treated with a little caution and respect......right? slim to be is right I think in urging caution on the ones with sugar in them as they may (will) trigger carb cravings and we are all trying to get beyond that stage in our lives. But if we eat the full fat mayo to excess, well, the clue is in the name isnt it?

I am going to go on using mayo because I love it, but cut back on how often.

Thanks for input on this everyone. It is a killer really, because I want someone to say 'oh its ok you can have a cup of mayo for every meal if you want, it is a super diet food'.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:41 AM   #11  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey I'm with you Clovey! I love mayo! Anything tastes better with a lil mayo on it!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:46 AM   #12  
kpw

Regular mayo - I don't use a lot though.

On Tuna - often I'll mix up a lemon vinagrette (olive oil, lemon juice some chopped fresh parsley if I have it on hand, s&p) and mix it with the tuna. Kinda like a nicoise salad. Works for me.

I've also mixed in chopped up sun-dried tomatoes and capers. Works well for leftover salmon too. This isn't your typical tuna spread fare, but I like the change.
Closed Thread