Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #1  

Default How's your bowels?

Hello,

I have been reading some of the literature on South Beach and have been reviewing the board for a few weeks. I have a problem where I must have healthy bowel function - meaning no constipation. I read one review that talked about wobbily bowels, in phase I. Has anyone had difficulty in moving their bowels? Sorry, I know this is a personal question. I just don't want to start the program and end up in pain. I am concerned because I spoke with a friend who said she tried the program for a week and ended up constipated and with gout. Yikes! Beans, metamucil and water are allowed, right? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jenaya
Old 02-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Beans, Metamucil, ground flax seed, lots of veggies and water should help. I use fitday to track my food and set a fiber goal of 15 - seems to work fine.
My bowels are fine! Thanks for asking! Only in here would anyone ask that question.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:13 PM   #3  

Jenaya, I'm on day 6 and I've had absolutely no problems with my bowels, I drink alot of water and I'm eating my veggies so I say give it a try - I would imagine the problem stems from people who let themselves get dehydrated by not drinking enough water. I'm not sure where I read it but someone suggested using a bit of salt with foods too to keep yourself from getting dehydrated.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:18 AM   #4  

No problem here! The book mentions something about how we throw out the most fibrous part of food (stem of brocoli etc) so if you are eating your 2.5 cups of vegetables and drinking lots of water you should be fine. I have heard that the Dr Atkins diet can make you constipated.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:38 AM   #5  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

My dad was on Atkins a while back and was always constipated. He ended up adding a few dried prunes into his diet every day and that kept him regular.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #6  

Thank you for all the good ideas and comments. I am glad to know that people have had no difficulties in this area and yes, where else could one ask such a question?!?! What a great bunch you are!! Day 3 and still moving, literally! Tee hee...

Jenaya
Old 03-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'll close this and move it to FAQ for future reference.

I'm glad everything came out OK, Jenya!
Closed Thread