Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #1  

Default Complications from old WLS

I'm a 36 year old female who had a gastric segmentation 16 years ago. I initially lost 50 pounds and then have gained and re-lost that same 50 pounds at least in part, probably 50 times. My problem is that I've continued to have problems that cause me to believe my surgery may have not been done correctly. The surgeon at that time didn't meet with you until the day of surgery and there was no follow up. From the beginning, I've thrown up quite a bit. There is no real rhyme or reason to it- sometimes one thing will make me sick, sometimes not. Sometimes its the 2nd bite or the 10th bite. Its not related to overeating. Over the past year, the throwing up has increased to sometimes 6-8 times a week. You would think that I would be rail thin, but I'm not. I had an upper GI 4 years ago and the doctor said no band was visible, meaning I guess it has either eroded, migrated or was never in the right place to begin with. I recently read that my surgeon was sued by someone for connecting the band to her esophagus instead of her stomach. Others have had problems with erosion.
Part of me is very embarrassed to go back to the doctor now- I think anyone who has had unsuccessful WLS feels a tremendous sense of failure. The other part of me is scared not to furthur investigate.

If you've read this far, thanks. Has anyone heard of this or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks-
Susan
Old 02-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

susan... it's sad to read stories like yours. but as far as i'm concerned, your health MUST come first. and it doesn't sound like YOU failed the surgery, but rather the surgery failed you.. i urge you to find a good, experienced surgeon. or two or three. and investigate this. this doesn't sound right...

and hang out and keep us posted!!!!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #3  

Thanks for responding. I'm going to see my PCP tomorrow and hopefully get a referral. I'm not sure if I should go to a general surgeon, a gastroenterologist, or a bariatric surgeon. I want to see someone who will know what they are looking for. I like my PCP, so maybe he can direct me to someone good. I want to go somewhere and not feel judged. After I had my surgery, I would call the surgeon and tell them I was throwing up all the time and they would say I must not be following the guidelines they had given me or I wouldn't be throwing up. Of course, this was in the 80's when WLS was still somewhat of a novelty and I was 20 years old-now, of course, I would never stand for that kind of answer. I guess I've always been afraid of going back under the knife to get it reversed. I'm not sure there is anything to reverse if no band is there.
I'll post back after I find out what they recommend.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:36 AM   #4  

Good Luck, Hope you find the information you need. 16 years ago, this surgery was not common and even more dangerous. I would imagine you will need some extensive test to know whats in your tummy or when it is. My prayers are with you!
Old 02-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #5  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

I would suggest a bariatric surgeon who is experienced with gastric banding. The problem is, banding is NOT very common here in the US, because the most popular adjustable band has only been approved by the FDA for the past two or so years.

I was just banded by Dr Pedro Kuri Santiago in Tijuana, Mexico, on January 31st. Dr Kuri is EXTREMELY experienced and proficient, having performed surgery using the Inamed AGB on over 800 patients.

Perhaps you can CALL Dr Kuri and get some recommendations over the phone. It's my understanding he will be out of his office until next week, but it can't hurt to try. Dr Kuri speaks excellent English, and will go out of his way to assist his patients and is very gracious in discussing their cases with them over the phone.

His website is www.lapbandsurgery.com

~VOW
Old 02-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #6  

Update: I went to my PCP yesterday and he sent me today for an upper GI. The results were that I have a stricture (??) at the base of my esophagus/top of my stomach. He also said that part of my stomach was over my diaphragm, but I didn't understand exactly what that means. Also, the barium pill stayed lodged in my esophagus and never entered my stomach, indicating to him that the opening to my stomach is smaller than that. I'm not sure what all of the above means, but I'm guessing I'm going to be referred to a gastroenterologist. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #7  
Hang In There

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]Susan, keep us informed on what's going on. Hopefully it is something that can be taken care of easily. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #8  

Susan....I am not even sure of any of the terms that all of you are referiing to but after reading your posts I am prating for you.....
Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

susan, i'm not sure what it all means, either, but none of it sounds right!!!!! Here's hoping someone can explain it all to you and then FIX IT!!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #10  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

"Part of your stomach over your diaphragm" is a hiatal hernia. Sounds like you have a real tummy-full of complications, and I do hope you can get the help you need very soon!

~VOW
Old 02-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #11  

Susan,
I have two really good friends who had this surgery about 16 years ago just as you did. My one friend in Maine recently had to undergo extensive surgery because her stricture had closed up or was nearly closed. The sad part about this is that both of my friends had regained their original weight I really have listened to them and have tried to learn from their experiences since my own WLS in October.
But getting back to my friend in Maine... she had an awful time finding a surgeon that would take her case and her medical records from nearly 16 years ago were no where to be found. She couldn't even remember the name of the surgeon or hospital in AZ that she had gone to So the day before Thanksgiving 2003 she went in to the hospital for surgery. She went with a bariatric surgeon and according to her it was no small feat the repair that they had to do inside of her. They had to open her up and she was in surgery for quiet a while.
Her recovery was a little rough. She initially could not keep any thing down foodwise. She ended up passing a kidney stone and she had to be readmitted to the hospital twice.
She is doing much better now. I need call her and check up on her because it has been a month since I spoke to her.
If you have any questions I may be able to put you in touch with her.
I hope and pray that all goes well for you
Old 02-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #12  

Thanks VOW- that makes sense that it would be a hiatal hernia. Kathy, I would be interested in hearing how your friend is doing. One reason I've waited all this time to deal with this is I figured it would be a hassle finding someone who knew how to fix it and who would want to. In some ways I've been really lucky. Despite having these struggles, I have a career I love, a great husband and have 2 beautiful little girls. I can't really sit around and mope, but I would like to get this fixed before it gets worse and I get older and not as able to recover easily from surgery.

I appreciate all the support!

Susan
Closed Thread