Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #1  

Default What kind of steak is "lean" steak?

I am having a problem because I absolutely love red meat, and I would like to add steak to my meals. However, I know the book suggests leans cuts of meat, and the problem is, I don't know what that is exactly.

In my experience, the steaks at the super market don't say "lean" on them, unlike most packages of ground beef. So my question is, what types of steak are the leanest? I imagine those with less visible fat on/in them...but is there a type that is typically leaner?

I saw a New York Strip last night that had my name on it, but I didn't buy it because I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hmmmm..... well rib eye and porterhouse are out. Strip is OK if you really trim it as is sirloin well trimmed. Flank steak is the very leanest but needs to be marinated. I love red meat too - shhhh - we are having prime rib roast for Valentine's day!
Old 02-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #3  
Reeling Reverend

If you trim the fat and get the less veiny meat, it should help. You can ask the meat counter at your grocery store, too. Turns out that our "meat guy" is quite knowledgeable! Do you have a George Foreman Grill? We use ours almost nightly. It stays on teh kitchen counter. It gets the fat of even lean meats!
Closed Thread