Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 12:29 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Work lunch ideas

I'm sure someone else has already gone over this topic and I just didn't look back far enough....

But I have been searching all over and trying to get an idea of some kinda of lunch idea for work. I am still burned out on salads from my last diet that the thought of a salad every day for lunch just doesn't seem appetizing (maybe that's why i quit before?)

I can't seem to find anything that is easy enough that I can just nuke it or have it prepared already the night before or in the morning. I've already accepted the fact that I will have to get used to eggs for breakfast. But I'm totally stumped for lunches. Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:13 AM   #2  

I have bought tins of lentils (no added sugar) from the supermarket, and a packet of fresh sage, and for lunch I have had half the tin, nuked, with some chopped sage in. Yummy. You can add whatever you want.

I also buy tins of mackeral packed in spring water or brine and have that. I keep one of those in my handbag for those meal missing emergencies (although it is a bit eccentric to pull it out, plus fork, on the bus).
Old 02-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #3  

I find that if I keep containers in the fridge of pre-chopped lettuce, pre-chopped or grape tomatoes, and sometimes cooked chicken and a hard-boiled egg, I just throw a bunch of each in a plastic container in the morning and take it to work.

If I'm doing that, I'll usually cook up a bunch of chicken breast at once, as well as the salad stuff and just have it ready to grab. It's not hard to prepare and it's easy to throw together in the morning.

I think for work lunches, the key is to take some time to make a bunch of stuff (ham roll ups, etc) and have them ready to grab when necessary. I find if they are already prepared, I won't go to work empty-handed and be tempted to make an off-program choice.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:54 PM   #4  
what goes around...

I'm a big fan of the Turkey Rollups from the SBD book (Phase I recipe), and I've made up some variations.

Instead of turkey, try ham. You can also use a wide variety of pre-sliced cheeses (swiss, provolone, cheddar, mozarella). The one thing I haven't varied is the lettuce; I just like the way Boston lettuce works in this recipe.

The Cilantro Mayonaise from the book is good with the rollups, as well as with canned tuna and canned chicken for a quick salad.

Another good dip for your turkey rollups: Find a jar of tapanata. It's a thick spread made of olives, olive oil, spices. Mix a heaping tablespoon of tapanata with 1 oz. of cream cheese that's been softened a bit. This is a WONDERFUL dip for your turkey rollups!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:30 AM   #5  

Tapande!!!! Yes!!! Why have I not thought of this?? Bigwheelz you are a genius

clovey industriously puts shoes on to go out on tapanade shopping trip
Old 02-18-2004, 07:25 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

ooooh... tapanade. My BIL makes the most WICKED tapanade! I wonder where the recipe is...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:29 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quick! Somebody find the recipe! I have black olives on hand and am drooling.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:32 AM   #8  

I can't find his recipe... I think it's on my dead hard drive. But I found this one...

Homemade Olive Tapenade
Ingredients
20 pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp rinsed, drained, and chopped capers
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
Fresh cracked black pepper

Instructions
Mix well. Refrigerate and use within two weeks.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:40 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OMG! I just posted the same recipe in the Recipe Section! Are you inside my brain?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #10  
I got Madonna tickets!

I like this thread, I often worry about what to bring for lunch. I find if I bring lunch, even if I think ALL morning about going and getting some McD's or something, I won't.

I have found that the best thing for me to do is pack a total food arsenal. I have taken over a little part of our work fridge, and every morning I bring in a BAG of food. Today, breakfast quiche (i make it in a pan and cut it into squares), 3 string cheeses, an apple, small container of peanut butter that will stay for a few days, soup, tiny bit of leftover chickpea salad in case I get a craving, and a diet coke. I need to have salad, I haven't had much over the last few days, so at lunch I am going straight to the salad place downstairs and buying a side salad to eat with my soup. I will not likely eat all of this food today (!) but it's good to know that it's here and that if I have a weird hunger pang, I can easily get something.

I try to do the make more at dinner, but I tend to eat the extra (like I did last night with my low-carb meatballs), so I found that if I make something different (like tonight I am making steak and mushrooms, asparagus, and broiled tomatoes for dinner, and am going to grill some chicken for lunch tomorrow) I won't eat it while I am cooking it and will still have lunch the next day.

I don't know if this helps at all, or even really makes sense, but I find work to be the hardest time of the day. I find that the more stuff I have on hand all the time, the more likely I am to make smart choices all day.

Dynagrrl.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #11  

Hello -
If I do say myself I think I've stumbled onto some great lunches.

Artichokes, Roasted Tomatoes, and 2 small Mozzarella Balls. I nuke them, it's just heavenly. Plus fast to prepare because I buy canned veggies.

Similar - but you can add variation.

Chicken Sausage Spicy Italian Style. (Make sure it doesn't have any fillers or hidden carbs - we get ours at Trader Joes, but I think they have similar gourmet sausages at Whole Foods, etc). I chop it up and cook it w/1tb of olive oil and add tomatoes, peppers, zuccini etc.

I really like hot lunches - so these make a big difference.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx
OMG! I just posted the same recipe in the Recipe Section! Are you inside my brain?
That's why you hired me!
Closed Thread