Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #1  

Default Anyone Tried Joyce Vedral?

Hi, All. I'm new to this thread (& relatively new to the board) and have a question about Joyce Vedral. I was on AMAZON a couple of days ago and came across great reviews of a book by Joyce Vedral with a title that is something like DEFINITION in 15 MINUTES a DAY or something like that. I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of her workouts and what you think about them. My weight lifting routine is pretty haphazard, and I don't seem to be making any significant strength gains. I try to do a combination of cardio and some weight training six days a week. However, my weight lifting routine is haphazard and I'd really like to do something that will make me see a some progress. At the same time, I have to get up at 5:15 a.m. to work out (can't do it at any other time) and I can only spare an hour in the morning, tops. That's why the 15 minute thing sounded so appealing. So, can anyone give me advice on Joyce or any other routine? Thanks!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #2  

Hi. I have several of Joyce's videos. At 59 she is a great inspiration to me. She does have a good variety of exercises. She usually does a standard pyramid system of 12/10/8/10/12 reps in a light/heavier/heaviest/heavier/light sequence. Or she also does a modified pryamid of just 12/10/8 and supersets opposing muscle groups.

The problem with Joyce is she just moves too fast. I can't keep up with her switching weights and her reps are way too fast for the heavier weight I like to use. She says in her new videos she has slowed down some so she knows its a problem. She also is pretty awful on form. If you are familiar with form her videos are ok but not for a beginner who is just learning how to do these exercises.

These are my problems with Joyce. I think Cathe Friedrich does a better job with weight lifting videos. Just my opinion. Joyce is funny and an inspiration but her videos have a few problems.

Pam
geoducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #3  
Peace with body and soul

If you're relatively new to lifting, as Pam said Cathe is fabulous, not only in instructing re: form but in working all muscle groups effectively.

She's now offering some beginner/intermediate workouts for pre-order at very good prices and DVD #1, on her site which is www.cathe.com would be an excellent choice.
Check out her other workouts too, she has great clips available!
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #4  

I bought a couple of Vedral tapes a couple of years ago, and got rid of them shortly thereafter. She *is* a great example of someone who apparently reshaped her body by lifting weights, but her form is appalling, and I found her personality wearing, if not grating, after the 2nd or 3rd time through.

Thanks, Mindi, for the heads up on the pre-order prices!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:08 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Cathe has beginner videos? Which ones?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:35 AM   #6  

She has a beginner video in her newest stuff that is just in presale now:

http://www.cathe.com/2004_Presale_Launch.htm
geoducky is offline   Reply With Quote