South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 AM   #1  

Thumbs up very upset...please help

Good Saturday Morning Chickies...
I am so blue today! I did my Friday weigh in yesterday..I have not lost one single pound this week! I began Phase 2 on Monday, and I have been very good (except for that wine incident on Wed!)...but food wise, I have BARELY added carbs back..I think I had one orange & some blueberries, but no other grains at all! Do you think I'm eating too much? I am so upset...I FELT like I had lost more...clothes, etc...but the darn scale doesn't budge! (And then I was so PO'd I wanted to eat a cupcake...but I didn't!).
Here's my typical day menu:
B: 2 poached eggs (lean bacon 2 X a week)
coffee w/ skim milk only
Snk: 1 tbls LS peanut butter
L: salad w/ tuna or chicken salad or left over meat on it w/ dressing (LS)
snk: 1 tbls LS peanut butter
D: grilled meat or fish w/ veggies

Snk: 1 or 2 SF fudgesicles

OK..maybe the PB and the pops have to go...but they are all "legal".
Could someone please help me....
Thanks,
January
Old 01-31-2004, 09:05 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Aw, honey, just take three deep breathes! It will happen.

Artificial sweeteners can stall loss. So can wine to my great regret.
About the bacon - "lean" bacon? Is that Canadian bacon? If so, fine. If not, it could be causing the stall as it is full of salt and nitrites or is it nitrates? I took chemistry in 1956! Forgive me.

As to today's no loss weigh-in, you could be holding water from what you ate yesterday, TOM could be around the corner

Another thing, our weight does not go down or up on an even angle! When you gained it you had weeks when you stayed the same and weeks when you lost or gained a bit.

Same thing with weightloss. Hang in! It will happen.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:17 AM   #3  

I just want you to know that you aren't the only experiencing this! I too started Phase II on Monday and have been slowly adding in carbs each day. I'm not upset though... I know that my clothes are fitting better too and I know that my blood sugar has been steady (I am a PCOS girl and insulin resistant) - so those are the things I am focusing on!

The other thing is... I do a weekly weigh in, but I have no idea how much I started at, I don't know how much I have lost... I close my eyes and my husband looks for me and has written it down. When I am ready to really know I will ask him. I did this because I know that I get WAY to concentrated on the numbers and I tend to judge my self worth based on numbers.

I have also been exercising (lifting weights, swimming, walking, etc) and have muscle soreness. I know that means my body is retaining some water in order to help repair those muscles.

That's just my 2 cents on what's been happening with me and to let you know there is someone else out there experiencing the same thing. I have faith that this way of eating is good for my body, no matter what the scale says.

Remember that faith is: dead to doubts, dumb to discouragements, blind to impossibilities.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #4  

Hi January, How much total weight have you lost? Remember, although we lose quickly on SBD in the 1st 2 weeks, it is impossible to keep losing at the same rate. And even though the diet works wonderfully, a lot of the initial loss is water, so your body needs time to adjust and I say, if you maintained for the 3rd week, that's great. Try waiting 2 more weeks til your next weigh-in - and if its only a pound or 2, do not be disappointed because that is the average after the initial big loss during phase 1. Keep with it, I know you can do this.

Anne
Old 01-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #5  

Oh yeah, and there is no way you are eating too much. Not based on your menu, if anything maybe you could add some yogurt or cott cheese. "They" say calcium from natural sources aids in weight loss and you need the calcium for good bone strength.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:32 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

Hey January....several of us who started Phase 2 on Monday are freaking out just like you are....I posted under the ....WHY???????....Thread yesterday about it.

My thoughts were that maybe I wasn't eating enough....yesterday I weighed and it showed a one pound loss, this morning it was back....I will wait and weigh again for the Monday morning weigh in and see what happens...maybe it will take at least a couple of weeks for our bodies to get back in the groove?

Good Luck to ya!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:44 PM   #7  

Oh, January, hang in there! Spam is right- don't get hung up on the numbers, especially if your clothes are fitting better- that's AWESOME!!

Question though - maybe you should be eating more carbs throughout the day? I thought that was part of the plan, too. I'm seeing a lot of protein- or is that all you listed?

Of course, what do I know? I'm also in week 1 of Phase 2, and although I haven't weighed and all I added was some oranges and 1 bowl of fiber one the other night (not ready for more- whoa, that set off some cravings! ), I don't think I've lost this week.

But we're getting healthier, right? It is a process of learning to live making wise choices about what we put in our bodies to keep them running for the long term, not JUST what those bodies WEIGH, right?!

Note: Please be prepared to throw ALL these words back in my face when I'm ranting about not losing this week or not being thin enough to go to that wedding in May!

HANG IN THERE!!!
Old 01-31-2004, 02:49 PM   #8  

Wink Thank you!

Thank you for all your kind and supporting words!
I really appreciate your advice & feel a little better that others are experiencing the same thing...bummer for us!!! LOL
I actually did expect another big loss as I pretty much (not totally) stuck with very little carbs....but I do suppose a body might say..whoaaaa after dropping 10 lbs in 2 weeks....hmmm...maybe it's natural for the body to resist.
Well I shall hang in there & keep the faith...and you're right Luckyredlisa...it is afterall about being healthier, as well as looking smokin'!!!!
I'll read your other thread, Chaz....thanks for sharing!
Jan
Old 02-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #9  

Yes, Jan, everyone here is saying exactly the thing. It is not fair to yourself to get hung up on the scales as there are loads of reasons for the small ups and downs. It is the trend which is the thing. Like long term savings plans in the stockmarket (like I know about those....not... ).

Your clothes fit better and that is fabulous. And I think you are right about your body going 'oh-oh! Lost ten pounds in two weeks, must be a famine time'. Bodies are amazing.

Hang in there and stay on the programme.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 PM   #10  

Don't give up...i noticed my first three days I didn't loose anything and I was so STRICT with my diet....now that I am being a little more "relaxed" about it, the weight is coming off~ I started at 177 on Monday of last week as of today I am at 171~~And because I have been so good all week I am treating myself to Hot Wings Tonight for superbowl
Old 02-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 193/188/120

Height: 5'2"

I did the same thing the second week---lost nothing. And, that was after having the flu in the middle of that week (can we say vomiting?-- ) and hardly eating anything for 3 days! I was upset, but then I remembered that what I am doing this for MAINLY is my health and it usually shows up LATER on the scale anyway.....

You can change if you're close to your monthly, if you had a little salt, alot of things.....

One thing that's kept me goin, is like you--my clothes are getting loose and I feel 'smaller' somehow.

Try to go by the mirror and the fit of your clothes more than the scale.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #12  

Hi January,

Hang in there. Ditto to what everyone else said....many weeks it is real slow going. The one thing that keeps me going is how my clothes fit these days. I only weigh myself twice a week and if I am lucky I generally lose only about a 1/2 lb a week. This weekend I fell off the wagon though and am feeling rotten. Went out to dinner with my husband Saturday night and ate PASTA and even a piece of bread. This afternoon I also ate a large cookie. I have been pretty faithful to the diet and just get plain old tired of it once in a while. I have been on SBD since mid November and can definitely see a difference in my waistline. So friend, keep at it and it one day soon you will be pleasantly surprised that your scale drifted downward.

Rose
Old 02-02-2004, 09:00 AM   #13  

Thanks to all of you...You really helped me thru this weekend!
The old me would have said #$%& this! And ate the cupcake in a funk! But I stayed on plan & feel all the better for it.
I have to remember that now we are in healthy, realistic weight loss mode..which is SLOW!
Thanks a bunch!
Jan
Old 02-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #14  
A Lily from my yard!

Angry

Now you got it January. We didn't gain it all in a week and we can't lose it all in a week. Just like when your not dieting there are weeks when you do not gain and weeks when you feel like you have gained 10lbs. Just stay in it your doin great!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #15  
A Lily from my yard!

Angry Plateau Problems

Hey January this may help. I got it from SBD.com daily newsletter. Although you just started phase 2 but I think it's good info to have on hand for all of us.

Plateau Problems

It is not uncommon to reach a plateau in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, especially as you get closer to your target weight. If your weight loss has stalled, here are three strategies for getting back on track:

Try eating different foods. Sometimes dieters get into a food rut, eating the same things day in and out. Change your diet and you may start losing weight again.
Get adequate exercise. Plateauing may result from losing too much muscle mass (as well as fat). Maintaining muscle mass with exercise helps burn calories and boost metabolism.
Return to Phase 1. If you have plateaued for several weeks and still have a fair amount of weight to lose, return to Phase 1 for a kick-start.
Closed Thread