South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #1  

Default Ranch Dressing

So, I just ate a salad for lunch with ham, turkey, cheese and I added Ranch Dressing. I guess it was a throw back to my Atkins day, and I need to do some research, because I am pretty sure it was not in the book, but......Was that totally and completely bad?

I hate to make these mistakes on my first day of SBD!!!! But, I know that Ranch is low carb, but not low fat.....

So the question is: To Ranch or not to Ranch? Should I have eaten it?

I had all good intentions of making my own with balsamic vinegar....see how easily swayed I am !!!!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #2  

Oh, girl, I feel your pain! I had a dab (ok, I requested a DAB, I think it was closer to 2T!! But there were lots of veggies, I promise!) of ranch on a salad last week.

I don't think the problem is SO much about the fat itself, but more about the possible transfats and sugar.

So, if you look at the label and see transfat and sugar, you know the answer as to whether you "should" have eaten it!

As usual, I am not an expert. But my advice- toss out that ranch, check out Jen's recipes for Ranch, then forget about it. Put it behind you and just move on with Phase 1.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #3  

omg! day one and i am already making mistakes, i tell you it was an atkins throw back! i knew it was too easy!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Sumsitup, Lisa's advice is good... throw it out and move on! Don't fret about... you'll be fine.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #5  

what a bummer....thanks!
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #6  
Believe it & Achieve it

The ranch is not gonna kill you. LOL. I do recommend finding someplace that sells Walden farms products, they have a wide variety salad dressings amongst other things and they taste really good as well. I believe they have ranch that is o.k. for sbd. Also I would check into Newmans Own or Emerils. I used to be a ranch freak and I still use it, but I've learned to branch out to different flavors and discovered a whole new world.

I make mistakes all the time and I'm still losing, so don't beat yourself up over it just live and learn from it.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #7  

Default Dressings

Emily - I totally agree about the walden dressings. I love the thousdand island, and we're trying the BBQ sause and Blue cheese (which claims to be CALORIE FREE!!!)

We went out to dinner tonight and ordered a really healthy salad. I tasted the already dressed salad to discover it was very sweet. I loved it, and justified it by noting all of the veggies I was having for diiner. But I had to ask - it had white sugar. Oh, I was so disapointmented, my poor hubbie is trying to pull me out of this slump to enjoy my salmon.

It happens.....
Old 01-31-2004, 03:40 PM   #8  

Hi Sumsitup -
Just to make you feel better, I have always used ranch dressing on my salads. Bleu cheese too . I know they're not the best choices, but doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss. I love Emeril's dressings and Newman's Own too & I do try to use those more often than the others. Really, if this is your only issue, you'll be fine!!
Old 01-31-2004, 06:03 PM   #9  

did i dream it somewhere....i really thought as long as the sugar was 2-3 grm or less per serving...and no sat or trans fat it was ok...and newmans own is certainly in that category......experts...???
Closed Thread