Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50- 60 yr olds NEW #5

Ann: Yeah! Last day should be today. Im sure you will find lots of things to do with your free time. Glad you are starting to feel better.

Slavika: Oh. I thought you were both going at the same time. Lucky you! Should be 7 sleeps for you by now

Maria: Its cheaper to outsource in another country then it is to do it in the USA. Thats what happened to my DH's job. Alot of companies are doing it. Its to thier advantage. Sad but true. No I dont think you were harsh. When visiting people you shouldnt be yapping on the stupid cell phone or text messaging. I think its rude. I have a cell phone but I always turn it off when Im with company or else where. Drives me nuts seeing so many people always on the phone where ever you go and not watching what they are doing. Have been crashed into many times walking down the grocery store by some one yapping away. Im always rude to them to Can you tell its a pet peeve of mine

Peggy: Ohhhh what are you going to buy me while out shopping?
Nothng new same old same old.

Karen: brrrrrrr Glad I only have to deal with 36ø. Im with you on the snow. Pretty for 5 minutes and thats it. Bring on the Sun!!! We are suppose to get some sun today.

Cold is still trying to come. I had a Nurse friend tell me about an Over the counter drug called Zicam. So I started taking it yesterday. Its kinda expensive, but you use very little. I dont feel as bad as I did yesterday, so Im hoping its keeping it from getting worse. Only time will tell. Got some for DH last week and its helping him. But I think he was to far into it to really help. Tastes nasty tho. But if it helps me Im there

Last edited by LilyG; 01-28-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #2  
Super Surfer

Unhappy brrrrr.. it's cold

I don't know of anywhere else where it can be +34C in the summer and -34C in the winter. It usually doesn't get this cold, we are having a cold winter with lots of snow. When it does warm up a bit it snows, just can't win this year.
Karen I don't mind winter, rather like it, but it is the length of it I object to. If we could shorten it a couple of months, that would be nice.

We are getting quite excited about Hawaii. Slavika leaves 6 days before us, we are taking them to the airport. We will pick them up at 5:00 am. They are meeting us at the Maui airport, we arrive at 10:30 pm Hawaii time, which will be 2:30 am for us.... it is going to be a long day. We will get there when it is dark, and wake up in paradise.
We will be glad to leave the cold and the problems we have been facing. The work was supposed to be finished yesterday, but he ran into a couple of problems (non of which were his fault), so tomorrow we might be rid of him.

Lily I must have missed this, your DH has a new job? If that is correct, I am happy for you both. I heard of Zicam on Dotti's ... someone there is taking it and having great results with it. I never heard of it before, I will have to check and see if we can get it here. I STILL have my cold. I will feel like I am getting over it and then the next day I am feeling worse again. Maybe I could use Zicam.
Maria I have to agree with you and Lily about cell phones. People in restaurants who are talking loudly on there phones really get me riled up. And, what about the character who is driving his car, turning a corner and talking on the phone.... we almost got hit by one of these jokers.

Slavika Did you manage to get out on your last Wednesday with your friend? You were right about the Baked Oatmeal tasting great in the morning. I just popped it into the microwave for a few seconds.. it was really good. (Sometimes I get a "doggie bag" when I leave Tea Time... yesterday I lucked out with Baked Oatmeal, Lemon Squares and a cabbage )

I can't remember any of the posts from the last thread... SORRY! So, Hi to Ann, Peggy, Marnie, and I hope Glenda is tuning in.

Bye...
Old 01-28-2004, 07:04 PM   #3  

Default cell phones

GRRRRRR Nothing makes me madder than should one go off during one of the meetings. Or at the movie. There seems to be some one some where getting a phone call all the time. Once when in the lady's room some one was yapping a way. Nothing or nobody is that important it can't wait until after a meeting. movie, or the bathroom

So Maria i think you were well with in your rights

Trudy lucky you getting a doggie bag at tea time . Is it more plumbing problems?

Have to tell you about something I tried tonight for dinner. I boiled sweet potato's until tender then sliced them a little thick. Sprayed a fry pan with butter flavored pam then added the potato's and sugar free maple syrup. The syrup is sweetened with Splenda it's like 10 calories for 1/4 cup. Anyway mixed them around and heated them up again . They were wonderful. I found the syrup in with all the other syrup's at Cub Foods. Then a piece of lemon pepper chicken it was agood din-dins.

got to go!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Default Cold and colder!

The weather: something we complain about, but can do nothing to change it! I think its -14 this morning.

Maria phones, cells, etc. RUDE, big time. Sometimes I'm waiting for my bus and there is a person speaking loudly and all I want to do is yank it out of his/her hand and toss it into the traffic. I wish they were banned from all public places.

Karen I was wondering if your sil works outside your home? Would it help if she had a part-time job; even 3 or 4 hours a day? You have been postive about her, but you do need your quiet time, too. BTW, the "apple" decor in your kitchen sounds fun. I have some apple fabric and it cheers me whenever I see it. (PS: We have about 10 inches of snow in West St. Paul)

Ann Hope that cold's abating. Isn't it true: you just get back from a vacation and then you get sick. Maybe you need more vacation! Glad you'll be finishing up on the election job.

Hrumph! I can't utilize the colors!

Glenda , hope you are feeling better and on the mend. Take care. Be good to yourself.

Slavika , when we were in Honolulu, I had to drive along the ocean. When we stopped my hands felt like they were permanently glued to the steering wheel. Aloha!

Trudy I just realized that you'll be going to Maui, too. Should we warn the residents that you and Slavika will be there together??? How fun!

Lily : I think I need more help from you with my program. My plan is to return to WW on Monday (after the Superbowl). My sister's having a big party where we all bring something to share. I'm bringing chocolate dipped strawberries - the big ones on the stem. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Peggy , I'm curious to know what projects you're working on? I think I should look into other crafts other than quilting. I'd like to make some place mats for our kitchen.

Haven't made the oatmeal yet, but maybe next week.

Hope you all have a great day.

Marnie

Old 01-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #5  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: I would check Zicam out. It is a bit expensive. Mine was 10$ for a small spray bottle. But a little goes along way. It has helped DH but not as much as me as I think he was to far into the cold to help as much as it did me. I can image you getting excited about Hawaii. You will wake up to Paradise Dh went back to his old job but he is only Contract. Which means he could be let go at anytime and he gets no benefits.

Karen: Will have to try the sweet potatoes & syrup for my DH. He loves them that way. I dont. I do love them plain tho. Its my favorite Potato as I dont have to put anything on it. I cant remember the name of the one I get but its wonderful! Cept they are sooooooo big. I do split it with DH.

Marnie: Brrrrrrr -14 Id move I would be happy to help. If you want to email thats fine what ever you want to do. Feel free to email me anytime.

Well Im having a dilema lately. Im thinking of quiting working for WW. Its just becoming to much. I feel I have no time for me any more. I havent been to a meeting in about six months. And Im the type of Person who really needs the support. I dont get that working for them as you really dont hear the meetings. Trying to make up my mind this week. I really enjoy it but working full time to, its just getting to hard.
ALAS Decisions, Decisions......
Old 01-29-2004, 05:28 PM   #6  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Glenda hi there. I haven't "seen or talked" to you for a long time. How are you coming along with the BP meds? Years ago I was taken to the hospital with a really bad migraine headache and when I was there my doctor said my BP was high and gave me a prescription for pills. I had the prescription filled and then left for the lake (and in those days I stayed out there for a couple of weeks at a time). I started taking the pills and then it seemed if I got up too fast I was dizzy and would walk smack into the coffee table, or I felt the room spin and things just were not good. DH finally had enough and drove me back into the city to see the doctor. The doctor thought that what happened is that when I had the headache, the pain was very bad, I was stressed, we were packing up to go to the lake for the summer and my blood pressure went up (briefly). With the headache gone, and the stress along with it, I no longer had high BP therefore I didn't need the pills. I hope you are doing ok!
Ann so how does it feel to be just retired and RELAXING now that your JOB is over?
Trudy and I discussed our car trip, you know....... the ROAD TO HANNA and it is something that we both would like to do.....hee hee before we get OLD.
EVERYBODY I know who has ever been to Maui has taken that trip except DH and I, so now we will get to see it with our friends. Do you think it's necessary that Trudy and I have our eyes OPEN the WHOLE time??? Well Lily "survived the road to Hana". I wonder if she bought the T-shirt that says that?
Karen you have lots of snow too. They are saying in our City that they don't even know where to dump the snow anymore we have so much. Because some of the "mountains" of snow are so high they were saying it would likely take until next August for the mountain to melt. Maria I think cell phones like everything else, they have there place but really some people are really silly and bad mannered about it. One time when I took the children to the movies, the Princess had to go to the washroom. She went into the stall and I stood by the door and I could hear talking coming from the stall two over from her. I looked down and I only saw one pair of feet and realized that some woman was sitting on the toilet and talking on her cell phone. How crazy is that?
Bye for now.

Last edited by slavika; 01-29-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Sounds like we are in agreeance about mobile (cell) phones
Mind you I would not want to be without mine and find them very handy but NOT for having long conversations in public places.
When dh arrives back home, I usually park a minute or so away from the airport, as soon as he has arrived, he rings and I drive by the arrivals terminal, he jumps in and away we go. It works a treat! It is also very handy when we are at markets or shopping and decide to go our own way, handy to let the other person know where you are.

Slavika shared with me this morning the state of the weather in her area no wonder Trudy and her cannot wait for their holiday and some warmth.
I would love to see and experience this sort of weather and see the snow but perhaps we will choose a season other than winter to visit America and Canada.

Trudy I hope by now all the plumber work has been completed, it would be good to come home from holidays and know all is well again with the plumbing.

Karen the sweet potato concoction sounds very different to me...I have never used maple syrup in any sort of cooking nor do I use sweet potatoes a lot. I thought you only used maple syrup on pancakes or in cakes.

Marnie Good for you returning to WW. It certainly is a continual struggle. I was very skinny as a child...I went for a bike ride the other day and it was lot windier than I thought and it was quite a struggle. I then thought no wonder I was so skinny, I was a very fussy eater and in those days, if you didn't eat what was put in front of you, you went without. I rode a bike everywhere in rain, hail or shine. My current bike has 24 gears and I am struggling We just have to keep at it.

Lily give up working for WW! I can very much relate. About 12 years ago when I first joined WW I lost quite a lot of weight, not quite to goal but it was pretty good. The leader asked me if I would like to work with her, doing the weighing, tallying up the losses for the night etc. etc. I thought, great I won't have to pay anymore and I still get the benefits of being there. To this day I still find it amazing but from the night that I started with WW till when I threw it in, I never lost another pound
I think you are right, you don't really hear the meetings and you don't receive the same benefit from the meetings as when you were a 'paying customer'.
Working full time, you certainly do need time for number one and to have more time to persue your hobbies.
What does your dh think or is he like mine 'whatever makes you happy'.......

Cannot believe it is friday again already, nothing from the job front. DH was told he would hear by Tuesday, they are so slack . Perhaps he should have asked 'which Tuesday'! We are enjoying being home, which is good.

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #8  

Someone send me the image below that I thought I would share.......

Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 01-29-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #9  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: No I did not buy the Tee shirt I survive the Road to Hana. But I did by the Tee shirt, I made it to the top On Diamond Head. From Hawaii. I think I told you the story that DH said it was only 99 steps to the top. Wear your dress and sandals and you will be fine. HUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Copied this from the site:
There are two sets of stairs, one with 99 steps and the other, 76 steps. There is also a 225-foot unlit tunnel. The hike is classified as easy to moderate in exertion but is certainly worth the breathtaking, unparalleled view of the entire west side of the island, from Waikiki to Koki Head.

These were steep steps to So I had to have the Tshirt. Thank goodness by the time we went I was getting close to goal or I would of never made it Thanks for the weather thing. Didnt realize it was that cold. Brrrrrrr.

Maria: DH does say what ever makes you happy. Its is my decision anyways and I just need to decide what to do.
They sure are taking thier time letting you know about DH's job. I agree with the Cell phone being handy when you need it.

Later!

Last edited by LilyG; 01-29-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:05 AM   #10  

I could swear I posted something on this thread but I don't see it. Maybe I am only imagining that I did or it is lost somewhere. Who knows.

Lily can you take a leave of absence for awhile and see how it goes? I can see where you don't get the benefit of hearing the meetings. When I went there were always people coming in late and leaving plus the ones who sat in the back and talked through the meeting. Sometimes it made it hard for the ones who wanted to hear what was she was saying.

Marnie I mostly paint things. I have a customer that I do things for. I just painted 10 birdhouses and it was fun cause I could do each one however I wanted. Stretches the imagination. I would really like to remember how to knit. Seems to be the thing to do now. Plus I have been looking at patterns for purses. They look like fun to do. There is one that has beading on it. In the McCall's book.

Slavika the Road to Hanna sounds intriguing. I have to look that up. I think you and Trudy should do it with your eyes open and get the shirt. What fun you will have. I won't complain about the snow we have after hearing about yours.

Maria cute graphic. I snagged it. Like your idea of how you pick up your dh at the airport. Since we are not allowed to be parked in front anymore that's an idea to remember. I think we all have the same annoyances at cell phones. I was shopping in a department store yesterday and a lady was walking around talking while she was looking. I had to go to another dept cause I got tired of listening. Did get some good bargains. A floaty chiffon type skirt, top and a sweater with an attached scarf -all for $22. The skirt and top are for a wedding. The sweater is almost cashmere like and it is red. Really nice.

Karen the sweet potato sounds yummy. I have 2 just waiting to be cooked. I am going to try that. Thanks for the idea.

It snowed again last night. It was really pretty with the big flakes but accumulated fast. I had to be out and driving in it. It was sort of fun but I didn't have to go far.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:29 PM   #11  

Am I the only one not watching the Super Bowl?

Grand children just went home was taking care of them while ther Mom was working as my son is once again on his way to work in Texas. 4 hour and I am pooped! Those three can really stay in motion.

Was just checking to see if any thing was going on here . Am on my way to bed. Am doing a meeting for some one else tomorrow so will be traveling.

I'll check in again tomorrow.
Karen
Old 02-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #12  

Default Lotsa snow!

Morning all

I bet we have a foot of snow since Saturday DH has been out shoveling at least 3 times - thank God for snowblowers!

Of course, Karen, I watched the Superbowl. I was really rooting for the Panthers, but the Patriots deserved to win.

Peggy, after you mentioned knitting, I asked my sister about it and she has me working on making stockings: you use three needles to cast on and then one to to do the knit/purl.

Maria, I loved the comparison between a bra and friendship - Ain't it the truth!

I return to WW today - and will come back to report after the meeting.

Have a great week all

Marnie

Old 02-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #13  

Default Whoops

I meant to share this website with you. The "oatmeal" crockpot recipe is in with these other crockpot recipes.

Me

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...ng/7764564.htm
Old 02-02-2004, 02:08 PM   #14  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: I have decided to just give up Sat. Its the reason I have no time. So I will still work the other two I do during the week.

Karen: I didnt watch the superbowl. I hate Football

Slavika: Did you go to sunny Hawaii?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #15  

G'day all,

We had a very busy and enjoyable weekend.
We had some bad news, dh's sister's husband (my b-i-l )had a brain heamorrage on Saturday and is in hospital. DH's sister mental state is rather fragile and has difficulty coping. It just goes to show that we HAVE to enjoy life whilst we can, you never know what is around the corner.
Our weather has been lovely and cool but we are due for some very hot weather tomorrow so I decided to have yet another 'spring clean'.

Marnie the email you send from Newfoundland is unbelievable How do you keep your house warm? I know you don't have quite this amount of snow but you still have heaps, how do you all keep warm
Your knitting of the socks brings back memories, the most difficult part was the heel. I also knitted mittens and then of course the thumb was the tricky bit. Don't know how I would manage now!

Lily I am glad you have at least given up one of your meetings, when I did it, I only did 1, and I found that to be more than enough when working full time and looking after a family.

Peggy I would love to actually 'see' some of your paintings. I belong to a forum at WetCanvas. I only post on the forums of the 'digital art' but you might like to have a look around at some of the other forums. There is some great stuff there, very friendly people and some very talented people.
www.wetcanvas.com

Karen you wouldn't expect me to watch the Superbowl!!! We had a direct telecast early in the morning and yes my dh did watch it. He says he doesn't mind it now he knows the rules a bit more. To me it looks totally boring and I do not understand it at all!
On our news services we just got snippets and it certainly is a very big deal. Of course we also got the very 'controversial' bit when Justin Timberlake ripped off the little bit of Janet Jackson costume, shock, horror!

I guess Slavika is on her way to Hawaii and is probably soaking up the sun this very minute!

HI to everyone else.......

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 02-02-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Closed Thread