Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:30 PM   #1  
what goes around...

Question THE SBD "GROCERY BILL"

A bit earlier, had a "discussion" ( ) with the wife about recent grocery purchases. Seems we've spent quite a bit in the past couple of weeks. My/our only defense is, it's been good stuff. And we've spent a lot less money in restaurants, as well.

But to the point... those of you who have been on SBD for some time now. When you first started, did your grocery bill go up for a bit, as you stocked the fridge, freezer, and pantry with new and different things? We bought all sorts of protein at Sam's Club this past weekend--but they're things that we'll be working on for quite some time.

I'm wondering if this isn't a bit more "expensive" eating plan, due to the fresher and healthier food we consume. Like it or not, "fresher and healthier" does cost a bit more at first, doesn't it?

Thanks all...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #2  

Default broke by SBD

I totally agree. It has been stick shock at the grocery. In addition to some expensive grocery bills we've been going to the store much more frequently. I see no reason to pay so much for fresh tuna, filet migon, and wild caught salmon to throw it in the freezer - not to mention all the veggies.

So, yes expensive, but we were eating out 3x a week, so we've somehow managed to rationalize this increase in costs.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:49 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Yes, it does seem more expensive. But when I think of the money we used to spend on snacks and eating out, I'm fine with it.
Junky food is cheaper, but if it's going to kill us or make us sick, it's not worth it in the long run.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #4  
Imagine...

I think that is one of the ways food companies suck us in. The stuff isn't healthy but it sure is cheaper and also way more convenient to prepare.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #5  

Yup. Nothin' like a meal-in-a-box, is there, Sflake.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

A family of 4, or at least my family, can easily drop 20-25 dollars going through a fast food joint for dinner. That is easily over $100 a week for garbage and that does not include breakfast and lunch. I am on my second week of Phase 1, have been to the store twice and spent around $150 each time. I personally think I am saving money now since I am home more and cooking than going out. For all of us to go out for dinner, nicer than Mcdonalds, you are looking at $40. I feel in the long run, it is less expensive.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:34 PM   #7  

Good lord! There's a man in here!
Sorry, Big Wheelz... I just noticed.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #8  
Imagine...

Ellis I miss the meal in the box thingy...not always good but always fast with no skill required funny actually last night was trash night and hubby said how come all of a sudden we have so much less trash to put to the curb ...duh cuz no more boxes from meal in a box

Cahzmom we easily drop that for 3 at fast food then there was the ice cream store after for dessert around another 15 bucks. The sad thing was an hour or two later we were looking for snacks
Old 01-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #9  
Imagine...

Now I have that Tina Turner song in my head...big wheels keep on turnin...
Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 PM   #10  

I'm still torn as to whether it is more expensive or not overall. I FEEL like it is more, since I'm spending so much at the store. But then again, I'm not eating out and I'm not picking up those little but deadly treats throughout the day.

This is why I'm not totally opposed to a fat tax to subsidize and encourage healthier eating. But no, I don't want to start a big ol' debate or anything. I never ate fast food, and I couldn't figure out why anyone would. Not only is it easy- it is CHEAP! I could go on, but I really MUST do some studying today!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:04 PM   #11  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Smile

The cost at the grocery is still allot cheaper (in allot of ways!) then going to the hospital...
just think of it that way and it's allot easier to put out the cash for great foods that keep you healthy!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #12  
I'm a Core Newbie!

S/C/G: 246.2/155

Height: 5'6"

Oh dear, now I'm worried...we're barely making the grocery money stretch as it is, and we don't eat out. How on Earth are we going to afford a higher food bill?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #13  
A Lily from my yard!

AimeeJane, It should not be to bad since you are both on it. Just go ahead and start buyin things now that will not spoil until you start on the 15th. I am the only one in my house doing the SBD and have not really noticed the bill going up. I usually only buy meat if it is on sale or marked down. If you drink coke's that should cut your bill back because you will be drinking more water. If you bought cereal which is very expensive that will help cut back. If you have a Sam's card you can save on stuff there. My grocery bill has really grown over the past 6 months or so because my kids are getting bigger and we are eating at home more as well. It has went from about 250-300 a month to 450-500 a month! Dh is comin unglued I told 'em it cost money to eat at home just like it does out. I LOVE to eat out but I have not been holding any shows lately and I usually would pay for eating out because my dh hates to eat out and hates to spend the money even more! This may or may not have helped you at all! Sorry!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:32 AM   #14  

I have found it more expensive only if I do not plan well. I must admit, a lot of the food I buy ends up in the trash!!! When I was young, I remember my mother planning meals and grocery lists, etc. Every detail & she never wasted anything. I tend to wander aimlessly around the grocery store & buy stuff that looks good & I know is OP. I'm getting better about planning & lately I do make a couple trips to the store each week because otherwise the produce just isn't fresh & I end up tossing it.

I also eat a lot of vegetarian chili - the beans are cheap.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:44 AM   #15  

Great advice for ALL of us Lessismore!!

AmieJane, I feel your pain. Even though it is just me (or maybe especially?) I was shocked at how much I was spending and how often I seemed to be going to the store in the first 10 days or so. But I really think with careful (or any!) planning this would not have been the case. Also, as Lessismore alluded to, I'm starting to think some of the foods only seem more expensive because they go bad- I've spent (wasted?) a lot of money over the past year on food that sits in the pantry. On SBD you have less of that type of waste. Don't most people have a stockpile of crap in their pantry? But with SBD and planning, I feel like I buy what I need, and eat what I buy. Period.

I've started planning better and making stuff ahead and I've spent significantly less money in the past 10 days. I think this is totally workable.

And it really really is cheaper than being unhealthy. I know as young(er) people, problems from eating improperly seem to be far far away. But they're really not. I had a friend in her 20's who suffered years of debilitaing digestive problems (which she never recognized as digestive)- finally went to the doctor (which she avoided since she said she couldn't afford it!). It was ALL caused by diet. That's a small example, but sometimes the smaller ones are easier to grasp than the "biggies" that seem so remote and impossible. Know what I mean?

Anyway, good luck!
Closed Thread