South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #1  

Default New News about SB

Sorry if I am repeating news already given, but I just got home and found my daily email from the South Beach website. It gave the following exciting information about changes to the diet:

South Beach Diet Updates

The South Beach Diet (SBD) continues to evolve as new nutritional studies and information come out. Recently, the results of new studies have shown that some of the "foods to avoid" may not be as bad for us as the original studies on glycemic index demonstrated. There are also some new, exciting studies about the role calcium plays in weight loss. The end result is that you can continue to enjoy all of the foods recommended for the SBD-as well as adding back in a few of your favorites! Here are the major changes:
Milk:

Old Version:
Avoid all dairy in Phase 1, except for less than 2 tablespoons fat-free ½ and ½, nonfat milk, 1 percent milk, or soy milk allowed with coffee.

New Version:
Phase 1:
Now includes low-fat milk (fat-free and 1 percent), soy milk, and yogurt (low-fat or fat-free plain or vanilla light/lite only) on the Phase 1 "foods to enjoy" list.

Phase 2:
May add light/lite fruited yogurt as a "food to enjoy" in Phase 2. Note: Since the SBD is still low in saturated fat, high-fat whole milk products will remain on the "foods to avoid" lists for all Phases.

Tomatoes:

Old Version:
Limited to one whole tomato or 10 cherry tomatoes per meal in all Phases.

New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.

Onions:

Old Version:
Limited to ½ per day in all Phases.

New Version:
Not limited in any Phase.

Carrots:

Old Version:
Avoid carrots in Phase 1 and 2; allowed in moderation in Phase 3.

New Version:
Allowed, starting in Phase 2.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #2  

oops. I see someone has already posted the above news. Sorry!
Closed Thread