Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #1  

Default How about reading labels?

I still haven't recieved the SBD book in the mail yet. I'm thinking in advance so how do you read labels, for example when buying peanut butter, cream cheese and other foods?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 08:44 AM   #2  

Hi Danzgal- have you received your book yet? I'm just a newbie- but I can offer a bit of advice. Generally, you're looking for sugar-free and transfattyacid free. That may sound weird for regular food, but for instance, most peanut butter has added sugar and many have transfats,too.

If you want to stock up, here's what I'd buy- Smucker's 100% Natural peanut butter, hummus, transfat-free buttery spread, sugar-free jello, low fat cheeses (including ricotta), eggs and egg subsitute. Then come the veggies- I'd look over the allowed food lists and get what you like!

Good luck. Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #3  

Thanks so much good advice
Old 01-23-2004, 05:24 PM   #4  

Default Reading labels- also would like help

I find that after reading labels and such I'm still a bit lost.

I have found that sugar alcohols was something I either overlooked or just took a mental vacation for.

Maybe someone could compose a short list of things that may 'sneak' up on us in labels.

Like yesterday we went to buy bread. Low carb whole grain, or Sprouted Whole Grain Bread. The Low Carb had less carbs, but Rice was in the ingrediants. We went with the sprouted, but still aren't sure we made the right choice.

Also - I almost never see Canola or Olive Oil in an ingrediant list - so other than the partially hydrogenated soy blah blah blah. What else am I looking to avoid.

Thanks in advnace. I'm sure someone has the answer. I searched the threads, but didn't see this specificially written anywhere.
Closed Thread