PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #1  

Default I have a ?

I have alot of the symptoms of PCOS and my gyno said it probable that i do have it but i have not had any of the test. I was severly overweight and my mother and 6 of her siblings are diabetic. I have facial hair and pain in my right ovary although I had no trouble conceiving and no known cysts. My previosly thick hair is not so thick anymore and i now have dark noticable hairs on my chest! I finally started a low carb/ Good carb way of eating last january and the weight is comming off when nothing ever worked before. My question is what is everyone elses weapon of choice in the excess hair battle? I really do not want to shave my chest and i already pluck the facial hair. I am just wondering if there is a better way to go.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:29 PM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Julie

Im sure some of the others will offer some other solutions for you. Myself, I use a bright light, and good tweezers. I will add though, that starting low carb eating, I once again have a very full thick head of hair!! Curly too!! Mom cant get over how curly it is. Anyway, about your chest hair, I used to have a few that actually grew on my right breast...well, its been over a year and I havent had to pluck any. So hopefully this way of eating fixed that problem for me....maybe it will do the same for you.

Robin
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #3  

Hi! I use Nair, shaving, and plucking on the body hair. Rogaine 5% and Spironolactone for the "male pattern" baldness on my head. The Spiro and Rogaine have been nothing short of a miracle for me. The Spiro is a testosterone blocker, and I think it's also helped my skin and nails-- and I'm a lot less aggressive, too! No more Incredible Hulk for me, lol! I've also cleaned up my diet, lowered my stress, done a lot more exercise, etc. I'm beginning to feel really good. So for me, a combination of strategies has worked well. Good Luck.

Last edited by SeekInnerThinChick; 01-19-2004 at 07:12 PM.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I pluck chin hairs if they get way long but other than that I leave it be. My endoc. offered me a cream/meds for the hair thing but I declined. Once my hormones are down to normal, it takes care of itself -- I started seeing this while I was on Glucophage. Once I go back post baby, I'm sure it will fall out again on its own.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

I know how you feel Dowsx4. As for me, I pluck & shave. I'd like to get lazer but it just costs too much for me right now.
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

My endo offers laser treatment for his PCOS patients at a much cheaper price than the local dermatologists do. He said he only wants enough $ to pay the tech and for the equipment. Check around and see if you have a service like this available, it is the best way to go that I know of.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Jennifer--

My OB/GYN told me the same thing...he does it in his office. Very skilled at it. But It costs like $50 a pop per area, plus he told me it takes like 4-5 treatments to make sure you get everything 100% gone. I didn't know if this was a normal price or not for something like this?? I was adding in my head...$250 for bikini area, $200 for face, $250 for here...$200 there... And whimped out. I admit it...I'm . Lol!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

I think $50 a pop is good! At least for around here, it is. Ok, I see that it would get costly to laser so many places. I was just thinking wild hairs above the neckline, myself!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:26 PM   #9  
Rattie Lover

Wild hairs here...wild hairs there..wild hairs everywhere. Too bad they dont make a cream that you could apply and it would all be gone instantly & NEVER come back. Course then if it wasn't done by a DR. only then people would get a hold of it and use it for the wrong reasons... I can see the headlines now. "13 YEAR OLD USES HAIR CREAM ON ENEMY. ENEMY BALD FOREVER."
Old 01-25-2004, 11:30 AM   #10  

dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #11  

I have problems with hair on my stomach and some on my breast....I hate it, but I don't do anything about the ones on my stomach...but the ones on my breast I pluck. I figure that I'm not fit to be in a bikini so what's the point of doing anything about the ones on my stomach, luckley they are not too dark either.

I have heard once your body gets use to the Metformin and the LC way of eating that some of the side effects do go away (such as the dark/hairy problems). I hope it's true.
Tiggerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #12  
Rattie Lover

I've been on Metformin since September. I didn't notice the hair start to lighten and come in slower until I started taking Saw Palmetto. IT took about a month of taking that, but I do see a difference now. The Met did work for other things though! I feel so much better on it!! And with that and a combo of eating right and exercising I have shedded 50 pounds so far!! I can't do the low carb thing, but I do change what carbs I eat. No more fast foods..processed foods...junky foods. More fruits, veggies, stuff like that. The "good" carbs. I still have to have chocolate here and there though. What's a girl without chocolate??
Old 02-29-2004, 07:31 PM   #13  
WW Moderator

Z Carb Chocolate Bars are sugar free, sugar alcohol free, and somehow have fiber. The dark chocolate bars are really good. They sell them at Walgreens in my town.

Tigger, weight loss in general will help with the symptoms, but a low glycemic way of eating is a good alternative to LC if you don't like low carb. Check out the Sugar Busters and South Beach Diet forums and you can see what they are like.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2004, 02:09 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
I think $50 a pop is good! At least for around here, it is. Ok, I see that it would get costly to laser so many places. I was just thinking wild hairs above the neckline, myself!
Yeah, I think $50 is really good, plus, who knows one treatment might do the trick. My daughter and I are going to get our lips laser treated at the end of the month, and we're each paying $100 for that.
J
wannabeslimnow! is offline   Reply With Quote