Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:19 PM   #1  
2nd time around-er

Default Dr.Atkins' cookbooks favorite recipes

Hi everyone...
I have been spending a lot of time lately trying new low-carb recipes (for Induction or Level 2, not on Level 3 yet) and organizing my kitchen and cookbooks for the future. I have collected a small group of favorites that are easy to prepare, and my son and I are eating better than we have for many, many years. I recently bought Dana Carpender's 500 recipes cookbook and have liked the few I've had time to try so far.

But... I also have 2 of Dr. Atkins' books with recipes and am wondering if anyone has any favorites from these that are worth trying.

If you have these 2 books, or other books by Atkins specifically, and like one or more of the recipes, would you be willing to share that with all of us (and indicate which book it is from)?

These are the 2 I have:

1. Dr. Atkins' Quick & Easy New Diet Cookbook
2. Atkins for Life (has 125 recipes)

I don't know about anyone else, but rather than hearing about which were awful I think I would prefer to hear which ones were good!

I have not liked any of the recipes I've tried from them so far.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:15 PM   #2  
Head Princess

I haven't tried any out of the books, but I've tried quite a few off their website.

The clam chowder was good but soupy so I modified it (you can find it in our recipe section here) and now it's wonderful!
The oven roasted asparagus in great!
Love the pumpkin cheesecake
The chicken with lemon and capers was very yummy

There were more, I'll keep trying to remember what they were.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooHoo
Hi everyone...
These are the 2 I have:
1. Dr. Atkins' Quick & Easy New Diet Cookbook
2. Atkins for Life (has 125 recipes)
I don't know about anyone else, but rather than hearing about which were awful I think I would prefer to hear which ones were good!
I have not liked any of the recipes I've tried from them so far.
Hey there!

Ok, I have tried the following from the Atkins Quick & Easy book... with reviews...

1) Artichoke Hearts Wrapped in Bacon - good, but the hearts got a bit dry under the broiler. I would try scallops or something more moist wrapped inside instead.

2) Chicken with Coconut-Plum Sauce - good but not great, although I had no plums so I substituted prunes! Heh! That could explain the not-being-thrilled part here.

3) Steak au Poivre - AWESOME. WOW. Soooo tasty. I loved this. Basically it is steak with heavy cream, a bit of ketchup, cognac, and crushed peppercorns, cooked in a skillet.

4) Cilantro-Lime Pesto - I have made this a few times, and it is very good on chicken breasts or tuna steaks. I shared some of it with chicken at work and coworkers practically ambushed me for more, and then demanded the recipe. Men drooled and women were faint.

A lot more in this book looks appealing to me, like the Blue Cheese & Bacon Soup (two of my great loves), Salmon Burgers, Creamed Chicken with Mushrooms, Broccoli Rabe with Spicy Sausage, Chile Rellenos, and... Butter Rum Muffins. Etc etc.

So, keep trying the recipes! I marked up the ones I liked in the table of contents...

Good luck and happy eating!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #4  
2nd time around-er

thank you for the feedback!

i will at least try these before giving up on the books. this was really helpful!
Closed Thread