Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 AM   #1  

Default Free weights vs. Machines

Hi,

I have not had the time to read through this whole forum (sorry, work with kids, you know what it is like!). So many of you here are so knowledgeable and I would really appreciate any information you have on this question. Can you get the same results with free weights and using your own body weight as you can with machines?

I hired a personal trainer last year and was set up with a whole set of routines that I could do at home. The hand weights, ubing, lunges, push ups, etc. For those of you who know this stuff, do you think it is as effective to use free weights? Or, should I be investing in a gym membership for strength training? Pros/Cons, any ideas?

Thanks,

Jenaya
Old 01-18-2004, 12:18 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Welcome Jenaya

Well, personally I prefer free weights *over* machines, if I had to choose between the two; but I do like having access to both. If you're going to work out at home, you will probably need to keep buying weights as you become stronger - or invest in a set of PowerBlocks or other type of adjustable dumbbell.

The machines I use regularly at my gym are:

Calf raise machines (seated and standing)
Leg Extension
Leg Curl (lying and seated)
Leg Press
Dip machine
Pec Deck
Cable station for seated rows, tri pressdowns, pulldowns, cable curls, etc.

You might try getting a trial membership to your local gym before you 'invest' so you can decide what would work best for you. I love my gym
Old 01-18-2004, 04:26 PM   #3  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Free weights

JC
Old 01-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I'm like Karen I prefer free weights but use machines for variety....
Old 01-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #5  
Mel

Same here. I use both to keep changing the exercises. I do find there are some machines that are just sized wrong for smaller people, though. The lateral raise machine at my new gym must be made for someone with shoulders at least twice as broad as mine. We also have a new lat pull down machine that is GREAT for tall folks, but even with the seat in its highest posision, the handles are far out of my reach .
Old 01-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

my gym has a womens center that has smaller scale equipment, and the best ab machine in the building [we're very attached] and that's why i don't spend much time there... the scale of it all, i mean. i'm 5'9" and the stuff in the men's area fits me better.

i use both free weights and the machines. in part to vary routines and in part to make sure i do what i need to do.

but the most important reason i joined the gym [besides the whirlpool which is the entire motivator!] was because i needed to have people around me. there's no way i would actually exercise at home or invest in whatever equipment i needed. i'm just not programmed that way.

sooooo. i keep ALL my gym stuff in the car AT ALL TIMES, including girlie shower stuff, and socks. and towels. and there's always a case [or large part of it!] of water in the car.

it's kept me going. and the trainers have been incredibly helpful and motivating...

good luck!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #7  

Thanks for the insight. I will keep up with my free weights. It is good to hear the review from people who obviously know a whole lot more than I do. Maybe I will get brave enough to go to the gym but right now, I prefer my basement. I just didn't know if I would get the same muscle development with free weights but I guess I can and will. Do you prefer them because of ease of use or do you find that having to correct your technique and use balance to perform the movement independently without the assistance of a machine is just better? Just curious.

Jenaya
Closed Thread