Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #1  

Default Protein Bars ?

Are these a good thing? I bought an Eas Advant Edge Bar today. Well, actually I bought two. They were buy one get one free at CVS for $1.99.

It says 3g of "impact carbs" and 25g of protein.

I have heard that the Atkins ones are good but I am concerned about the accuracy of the carb counts.

any info would be great.

thanks

peach
Old 01-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

i was told that protein bars were a convenience but were not to be a major part of one's protein intake.

and that anythning under 200 calories counted as a snack, and anything over 300 counted as a meal.. not sure what that 200-300 range was supposed to be!!!!

good luck...
Old 01-14-2004, 05:10 AM   #3  
Meg

Default Protein Bars

Since are big on protein, there’s a lot of talk about protein supps and bars where I hang out too ….

Personally, there’s no commercial protein bar that I would dream of eating: questionable/crap ingredients (glycerin as a protein source???), too much sugar, chemicals, dubious labeling (that net carb stuff). Not to mention they taste nasty unless they’re loaded with sugar.

I make my own, using just four ingredients: chocolate protein powder, natural peanut butter, nonfat dried milk, and oatmeal. They’re fast and portable and you can cut them into whatever serving size suits your diet plan. Here’s the recipe, with the nutritional info, if anyone would like to try it. I make a batch every week.

Quote:
Protein Bars

2 cups protein powder of your choice (I’ve used chocolate Nitrotech, chocolate and vanilla MetRX, and chocolate Grow!)
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup nonfat dried milk
1/4 cup natural peanut butter, either smooth or chunky
Optional (see note below): nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, extra peanut butter

I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the flat beater to mix this, but you could mix and knead with your hands also.

Blend the three dry ingredients together. Blend in the peanut butter. Here’s the tricky part — add enough water to make a sticky mixture. The amount of the water depends of the brand of protein powder. For the ones I have tried (above), it’s between 3/4 and 1 cup of water. You don’t want it dry and crumbly, but not too wet and runny either. The consistency should be quite sticky. If you are not using a mixer, you’ll need to squeeze and knead this with your hands until it is blended.

Spray a 8x8 or 9x9 pan with PAM. Press the mixture into the pan evenly. I spray my hands with PAM also before I do this so it doesn’t stick. Refrigerate for a few hours and then cut into individual bars, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate.

I cut mine into six bars, but you could do eight if you wished. The nutritional info is based on six bars per pan, so you’d need to recalculate if you do eight.

Note: — if you are not too concerned about calories, you can add in extra peanut butter, dried fruit (raisins, dried cherries etc.), nuts, and/or chocolate chips. If you want to use any of these, just add them to the nutritional info and recalculate.

Nutritional Information (six bars per pan)

250 calories

26g protein
18g carbs
8g fat
Old 01-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #4  
Livin' La Vida Loca

Thanks, Meg. I'm going to try these.

Where do you buy your protein powders? And which is your favorite?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:37 AM   #5  
Meg

Sooner or Later -- my current fav PP is Biotest GROW! Low-Carb (chocolate, of course ) -- one scoop is 110 cal, 20g protein, 2g fat, 3g carbs. I have a scoop of it mixed in with my oatmeal every morning for breakfast -- it tastes like a warm chocolate oatmeal cookie!

I buy it at www.netrition.com (here's a link to the right page http://www13.netrition.com/biotest_a...tein_page.html ) but am sure it's available from other on-line sources.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

meg you are a LIFESAVER!!!! the only protein bar i like is the EAS low carb ones with the rice krispie texture, but these will be MUCH better tasting and MUCH better for me.. and if i get 12 bars out of this, it'll be the PERFECT snack!!!!!

now if only i could get my kitchen aid from peachie who's holding onto it for dear life so that she can bake COOKIES for heaven's sake!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:28 PM   #7  

Meg!

I made these today! I added a little bit of cocoa powder and some nuts! They are very good and will be a good substitute for my chocolate cravings. They have a stiff brownie batter consistency, are a bit chewy and better than the protein bars I bought...plus now I know what is really in them.

Thanks so much!!!

peach
Old 01-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #8  
Meg

Oh, I'm so glad you like them! The trick really is getting the consistency right -- sticky but not too runny, you know? I haven't had a candy bar in so long that are a huge treat to me.

I'll pass along another favorite of mine for the carb watchers among us -- spaghetti squash in place of pasta. Here's a link to a wonderful mock Alfredo recipe http://www.drphil.com/weightloss/wei...ction=Homework and I also like it with a marinara sauce and a little real parmesan.

Can you tell that I like to cook? (and eat? )
Old 01-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Have any of you tried LUNA Bars, I love em
Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM   #10  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Meg....do these bars count as one protein and one carb for BFL?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #11  
Meg

Robin -- I'm not a BFL expert (never did the plan) but from what I've read, BFL meals are about equal in carbs and protein (maybe about 20-25g each?). My bars would be a little low on carbs for you, if that's the case. What you could do is tweak the recipe to add either more NF dried milk or oatmeal, which would raise the carb count.

Hope that helps! If you're looking for BFL-type recipes, we have a sticky at the Ladies Who Lift forum called Bodybuilding Recipes that has a lot of great ideas.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #12  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

thanks Meg......I had gone thru that thread the other night, and found a few I liked.
Closed Thread