Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default The unavoidable: stress will come

No matter what: stress will come into our lives. We can try to live a simple life - but stress will hit us.
Here are some major stresses we all can face:
births
marriages/divorce/break-ups
new job/getting fired
moving
money
deaths
school exams

plus count-less others!

Stress will come. How could we prepare for it? I have not handled stress well at all in the past year.

Any ideas?

Any stresses you want to add to the list?

Any solutions?

Should we just expect to maintain during these times? Would exercise help?

Let's prepare now!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:44 PM   #2  

I found in stressful times when i wanted to eat anything in site that chewing gum, taking a hot bath if possible, thinking consciouly about how lucky i am to have my wonderful kids and husband and a home and that things could always be much worse than what they are. Sometimes going for a walk or doing some kind of exercise helps and does relieve stress.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

For me, it's prayer.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 PM   #4  
missaprylj

Default :-)

My favorite is calling my sister Robyn or one of my best girlfriends and blabbing away about every little thing. Just call someone and let it out--- either decide to talk about your problems, or to talk about everything BUT your problems, it's up to you!

Also, prayer, watch a movie, come to 3FC, listen to music.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 PM   #5  

Regular exercise does help me ... but I'm not the type to say "I'm stressed, I need to go for a run (or even a walk!) ". It's more like if I exercise regularly, I deal w/ stress better. I'm less likely to succumb to stress eating.

That said ... I started off great in 2003 then life got in the way and the stress eating began. And as we were about to start 2004, the same thing that triggered the start of my stress eating last year was about to begin this year -- dh got a temporary job out of state. This year, I vowed it would be different. It's still early, but so far so good. One day at a time is all I can hope for.

I probably sound like such a wimp ... but having young kids who are accustommed to having Daddy around and then having him work out of town while I still work full time and juggle school drop off and pick up is stressful and confining to me. It seems like I'm always rushing ... I can't stop for a cup of coffee or a newspaper cuz it'll make me late. I love my husband and kids, and for now, in a time economic downturns, and a lack of jobs, especially in his line of work in our area ... if all goes well, this will be my reality for the next 6+ months.

I think if I wait until a less stressful time in my life to focus on my health, I'll NEVER find a good time to do it -- lol!
Old 01-09-2004, 01:11 AM   #6  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Red face stress...AHHHHHH

Steph....I can't agree with you more on your last comment. I can't tell you how many times I have said....."I am too stressed to watch what I eat." Who am I kidding, I get stressed just thinking about eating. But, I agree....there really is never going to be the right time to "lose weight" No time like now, baby!!!!!!

Hmmmmm....how do I deal with stress. I don't. No seriously....I try to meditate...pray....count to ten.....watch TV.....go somewhere for a cup of Java....trade one cumpulsion (over eating ) for another (shopping). Some times, I cause my self more stress than needs to be. The newest thing that I have tried to adopt in my life for dealing with people (which usually causes more stress) is not to take things so darn personally . A lot easier said than done. Why do I believe everything is about me....because you know what???? It is not....whoa, what a relief

And I am also trying to take one day at a time. I know it sounds do cliche, but it is true. Why worry about tomorrow, when I have to focus on the here and now. Again, a lot easier to write and say than it is to actually do. And lastly, I am trying to do more things for myself by putting myself first...and hopefully easing a lot of stress that way.

Great question. Thanks for making me think!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #7  

Very good question! Stress eating is usually my downfall! Eating seems to fill that hollow feeling I get in the pit of my stomach when I am anxious. 'Course then I feel badly about overeating instead!

I like to knit...keeps the hands busy (can't really eat when your hands are full!), I find knitting almost meditative (is that a word???) with the repitition and rhythm of the needles. Also a good walk, or a gab on the phone. Getting out of the house for a change of scenery...maybe walking up to the coffee shop to read a book, or look at a magazine.

I'm interested to see what others do...Maybe I can borrow some great ideas for the next stressful time in my life!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Here I will be of no help. This is a HUGE problem area for me. I have never had a stressful situation where I didn't turn to food. The daily grind I can deal with, but have someone get sick or a death or any event and I'm off to the freezer!!

Intersting things so far.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #9  

I find the stress of having too much to do and not enough time to do it will send me to the food. Just feeling overwhelmed. I didn't really realize it until one day I was having a great OP day, not even tempted, and then my Pastor called with a list of things that I needed to handle, and I got off the phone to him and headed right for the Pop-Tarts. That's when it hit me exactly what I was doing. I was feeling overwhelmed about having too much to do and instead of speaking up, I jumped right in to the junk food to make me feel better. Which of course it didn't.

I really wish that my solution to handling stress was to exercise! Wouldn't that be great!
Closed Thread