Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:42 PM   #1  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Lightbulb What is on your wishlist for XMAS?

Since I do like pratical gifts.....I am at a loss for something more personal. DH asked me what I would want and I told him new bath towels But he wants to get me something more personal.

Any ideas for something that would seem personal to him - but not a waste of $ - or extravagent gift to me????

I thought about a pretty ring....but do you know how many bath towels you can buy with the same $ as a ring???? You could get a bath mat TOO!!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #2  
Movin' and Losin'

You are SO practical, Kim!! Jewelry is always a good, in my opinion! Here's an idea... Maybe some type of picture or saying to go on the wall. He could make it personal by enlarging a favorite photo and putting it in a nice frame or finding a framed saying or poem about how he feels about you... But, you could still get a somewhat practical benefit out of it because it decorates the house??? Just an idea (And, I'm not sure it's a good one, but I tried. I personally never go the practical route!!!)

Jina
Old 11-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #3  
Head Princess

OMG Kim! I'm laughing to death over here! Bath towels??? I think a little impracticality is good. Gifts should be memorable, not practical. I don't remember who gave me an ironing board or when, but I'll always remember the person who gave me the hippo with it's mouth wide open and a purple fuzzy tiara on top. And I'll always remember where we were physically, and in our lives when that happened.

I think gifts should be an expression. I know that I'm not exactly the reasonable one in the group, but I guess I'd rather have the stories and the memories. So my advice, let him get you whatever! If you have to set a $$ limit, fine. The point is to do it. Get a piece of jewelry, go to Hawaii, have a candle-lit dinner at McDonald's, for God's sake, but live a little!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default DIAMONDS ARE A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND..

...but other jewellery works as well - how about a new fancy watch: both practical and sentimental? or any other jewellery or ear rings?

If you want really impractical - a night at a local hotel (sans kiddies) or how about a framed family portrait?

If you want him to "work hard"...how about that "101 reasons why I love you"....on computer (ivory paper) then professionally framed so you can look at it all the time!

A day at the spa, or facial or manicure or pedicure is also a nice splurge...maybe a massage!

Froufie
Old 11-04-2003, 01:21 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Default Book Recommendation

Ok, this has nothing to do with practicality or WOEs, but I'm recommeding to everyone to buy, check-out , or borrow "The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love". It's good for lots of calorie-burning laughs, and also has great ways to embrace the outrageous (generally at no cost to you).
Old 11-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #6  
on my way down again

Kim! You sound just like me! LOL I would want the towels too, but add a nice bath robe, nightie, a sheet set and a new blanket or down comforter too! LOL I have one pair of earrings. I only have one pair of ears! LOL Maybe he'll put the ring on the pillow! Barbie

PS I haven't thought of Christmas until today. It's really getting cold!

Last edited by Barbie101; 11-05-2003 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Hmmmmm
I love gadgets. I pretty much have them all though. Will have to check out the stores and see if there is anything new with more bells and whistles. Maybe a new palm pilot? I just purchased Calorie King and use it to journal my food. My old one could be handed down to my daughter.

Jewelry used to be on my list often too. But now I agree with Kim,, you know how many pairs of shoes you can get for the kids with 1 tennis bracelet? I can't enjoy stuff like that anymore, too much guilt, lol.

Barb

Last edited by barbmarie; 11-05-2003 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:29 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

How about him treating you to a spa ? for a facial, manicure peticure etc....

I would tell hubby to clean the house from top to bottom HAA!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #9  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

I like the Family portrait Idea.. or jewelry. I can be practical sometimes too though.. I asked DH for an MP3 Player with one of those arm bands to take to the gym with me for my anniversary... and I got it! And I do love it... Just me and Bon Jovi! LOL!

How about a spa day or a full massage... not too extravagant but yet personal and pampering.

or even a evening at the movies with friends... Mom's night out! We all need that once in a while! That is for sure!!
Old 11-05-2003, 11:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I vote for the MP3 player too. I've had one for a year or so but just got the new iPod and loaded it up with all my music and audio books. The only way I can make it for 60 minutes on the elliptical is to set up a playlist of fast-paced music and crank the volume!

Of course, jewelry never loses it's appeal
Old 11-05-2003, 01:37 PM   #11  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Ah - there are others like me...pratical!
I'm with Barb - I just can't enjoy that stuff anymore with all the other things I could use for my family.

A day of pampering, jewlery, flowers etc. are all things that would kill me because of the waste of money. And I don't think I would use an MP3 player - yet! We have a great Christian radio station here in NJ and I listen to it all day and it comes in so clear - and no commercials! Since it's all my favorites, I find myself not listening to any CD's anymore.

BUT - I THOUGHT OF SOMETHING JUST NOW. See he is a stay at home dad so he already cleans the house...but he is an artist and now they Isabel is 1 yr old, I think I'm going to ask him to do a pencil sketch of both my girls (head shots) to be framed. No money - just his talent and hard work. OH I REALLY LIKE this idea....gonna call him right now!!!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #12  
Head Princess

Kim - that's a great idea! I like it much better than bath towels

Of course, with some of that DaVinci German Chocolate syrup and some whipped cream, maybe those bath towels could turn into a good gift after all......

Don't they always say "it's all in the presentation"?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Kim, the pencil sketch sounds like a great idea!

However, I feel the same as you when it comes to practical gifts. I often assess gifts on their level of usefulness. It always makes me shake my head when people give me gifts that are just 'trinket'-like things that you just 'set' somewhere and never move again.

One odd thing that does irritate me, and I may be the only one for whom this is true, are cards along with the presents. Whenever I buy someone a gift, I never give them a card because I feel like it's a waste of paper! So when I receive cards, I always feel bad for the environment, especially if there's nothing written in the card except the person's name!

I thought it was hilariously sad when a friend of mine sent me a Christmas card while I was living in Europe and the only thing on the card was her name! The thought was nice and all, but I wondered at the practicality of sending a nearly blank card overseas! If there was a letter included, it would make sense!

But for me, when people ask what I would like that's more personal, I always say 'get me a gift certificate to the book store' or 'get me a book' (which, admittedly these don't sound like very personal ideas, but hey ...). And for some reason, which I have yet to figure out, I *never* get a book or a gift certificate. Never! Does everyone think I'm lying when I say that's what I want? Do they not know how much bliss I would get from wandering around a book store with a gift certificate in my hand, knowing that I can pick out *any* book I want and it won't cost me a *thing*?!

Boy, now I feel like going to the bookstore ... Chapters, here I come!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:38 AM   #14  
Pure Energy

Star!! I have all the Sweet potato queens Books. In fact, not long ago I bought my own tiara!! Tee hee. I think these ladies would love the books. We are so queen material!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:57 AM   #15  
Head Princess

Jamie - I can one up you. I have a tiara and several of my friends do, too. So once every few months, we don our tiaras and head out. We'll go shopping, to the movies, to lunch - whatever we want. It's great how people react to a group of women wearing tiaras.
Closed Thread