Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #1  

Smile 4-day "NO SWEETS" challenge--anyone with me?

Hey all!
After all the Halloween candy/treats of the past few days, I'm ready for a planned break from sweets--just to get myself out of the habit (knowing from experience, of course, that it can quickly snowball). There was no bingeing or even TONS of sweets eaten, but I definitely had more than I usually have!
ANYWAY--I'm going on a little personal challenge of eating NO SWEETS from now (Mon. night) until Saturday, 11/8. On Sat. I'm going to have a special dessert of my choice! I'm going to be sure to pick something that I really love, and then take my time & enjoy it.
If anyone wants to join me, great! Feel free--I'd love for us to support one another on this little challenge. I just need to get out of the mental habit of thinking I need something sweet after every single meal now.
We can do this!

Jen
Old 11-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Four days without sweets? You are one brave gal! I think I'll try it out, too. I'm afraid I'll be amazed how much I'll lose just from omitting sweets for 4 days. It should be fun! I think after my month of indulging this is a good way to really get back on track!

I'm sure I'll spend most of my week daydreaming about which 'sweet' I will indulge in on Saturday.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:42 PM   #3  
it's the getting up

Ok, I'm totally up for this too. My biggest sweet right now is coke, I go in spurts so this will be an intentional one!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:15 PM   #4  
Movin' and Losin'

I'm in for no sweets. I don't eat sugar as it is, but I could sure limit some of my artifical sweetner use! I've become addicted to coffee, so I'll see if I can live without it for a few days.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

I'm in for this as well! I'm already avoiding all sweets because I'm trying out Atkins, but I can also try to stay away from my artificially sweetened iced tea.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:47 PM   #6  

Please, please, please tell me we are not going to count sugar-free hard candy as 'sweets'!!! I'm stressing big time at work this week and I've had to have something in my mouth so I popped 2 pieces of SF hard candy today. I don't want to be out of the challenge!!! (Why does this feel like a Seinfeld episode??)
Old 11-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #7  

Leslie!
Don't worry--you're not out of the challenge! You had me laughing there with the Seinfeld reference. Hee hee. Actually, I'm chewing sugar-free gum right now, so if I get to do that, I don't see the harm in a couple pieces of sugar-free candy! It sounds to me like you're thinking more strictly than I am--I'm cutting out things such as chocolate, ice cream, candy, cookies, brownies, desserts, etc.....but NOT stuff like yogurt (I eat a kind that's partially artificially-sweetened anyway), syrup (Lite, and it's for my waffles in the morning), and an occasional granola bar. The reason being, these are not items I'm tempted to get out of control on. Things like chocolate & treats, on the other hand, are things I always wish I could have more of! Why IS it that way?

So yeah, rest assured, you're still in!
How'd you do otherwise today? My day's been great on that front so far--not a single treat & not even really a temptation. I DID have to get this piece of gum when I found myself naturally thinking of something sweet once dinner was over. So the gum is my coping mechanism!

Jen
Old 11-04-2003, 07:35 PM   #8  

I did so-so today. I didn't get nearly as many veggies as I would have liked, but otherwise I didn't do so badly.

That hard candy really helped me cope today! I might rely on it more often if it doesn't throw me off track too much.

I was kind of kidding but kind of not kidding about sugar free candy counting. Depending on the 'program' you follow (or no real 'program' - like me) things like SF candy count. I'm glad we are all sort of on the same page. What's life without a few indulgences now and then?
Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #9  
Movin' and Losin'

OK. So, everyone has different things that they are doing for this "no-sweets challenge." I already don't eat sugar, so I'm trying to cut back on my artifical sweetner use. My main use for it is in coffee. I'd gotten to the point where I would drink four or more cups a day with three or more packets of artificial sweetner. The last two days, I've cut my coffee to two cups each day with only one packet of artificial sweetner each day. So, I'm not completely cutting it out, but I am cutting back, which is progress! I'll call it my "Almost-No-Artifical-Sweetner Challenge." How's that?

Jina
Old 11-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #10  

Nice, Jina! Way to make the challenge your own! How do you NOT eat any sugar? I honestly can't imagine it!

So, Day 2 & still going strong....yesterday was GREAT, my husband & I both made it through without any treats, and today is shaping up to be great as well! I must admit I AM looking forward to Saturday's treat, though! I guess this'll teach me to appreciate such treats.
This is also my week for my T.O.M., so an extra-good time for me to be undertaking such a challenge--this week there are no excuses (PMS, etc) for eating sweet stuff!

Jen
Old 11-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #11  

I blew it today (mostly because I got "caught up in the moment" and forgot about the challenge) and had an iced sugar cookie. I won't tell you how good it was, because I want the rest of you to succeed.

Jen, I guess I'm not the master-of-my-sweets-domain
Old 11-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #12  

LOL--no, Leslie, you don't seem to be master-of-your-sweets-domain!
How hilarious. And thanks for thinking of the rest of us, by not telling us how darn good it was! (-;
I'm really holding out pretty well, 2 of the 4 days are already over & done! I still have to figure out what treat I'm going to have on Saturday--haven't thought much about it yet....I know, hard to believe!
Old 11-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #13  
Movin' and Losin'

Jen: To answer your question, I'm an all-or-nothing person. As long as I don't have any sugar, I'll be fine. If I had a little, it would turn into a huge amount. So, if I forbid myself of certain things, I'm much better off! So, even though I love candy and ice cream, as long as I don't even have a bite, I'm fine. I almost act like one bite would kill me, which is the way I have to do it! Kind of crazy I know. For most people, moderation seems to work, but I don't even begin to know the meaning of that word!!

Jina
Old 11-06-2003, 11:06 PM   #14  

Default Day 3 of 4...

Today's gone well, and there's just one day left in this challenge! I find myself dreaming of a gooey dessert come Saturday.....how's everyone else doing on this?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:10 AM   #15  
Movin' and Losin'

Well, my "Almost-No-Artificial-Sweetner Challenge" is going so-so. I've only had one packet of sweetner each day, except for yesterday, and I had two. But, two is still less than usual. So, even though I was aiming for one, two is OK, I guess. My challenge is a little confusing, I think...

Jina
Closed Thread