South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 10:34 AM   #1  

Default I'm in pain, need some advise.

This is day 6 of phase 1 and I have lost 9 lbs but the last two days I am in so much pain and discomfort with my joints it is unreal. I can't even make a fist in the morning from the swelling in my fingers and it feels like the worst form of arthritis. My knees are the same and so are my ankles. Now, I have read that if this happens to add salt to the diet, well knowing this I have since day one to try to prevent it but it is really bad. My hands are asleep the entire night while in bed, so bad that I can't feel them. This is scaring me but I am so pleased with this diet that I do not want to stop it. This is the first time in my life I have ever found something that is working for me and I and true to it so I hope this is normal and will pass. PLEASE tell me it is.!!!!!!
Mary
Old 11-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #2  
Work in Progress

Mary
I would check with my MD if I were you. Perhaps they should do a blood workup on you to make sure there isnt anything else going on.

Just jump to phase 2 now and see if the helps until you get yourself evaluted.....also, there are others here that will post helpful advise as well..

take care
rb
Old 11-01-2003, 12:01 PM   #3  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Mary, I would be very curious to hear what you find out about this. I have also experienced an increase in arthritic symptoms, especially during the first week of Phase 1. I thought it was my imagination since I don't have arthritis normally, but now I wonder if it's the diet. I'm almost done with my second week, and the symptoms have abated somewhat, but they're still there. I'm eating plenty of salt in my foods.

Good luck, and please keep in touch.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #4  

Hi Mary- Do you think you could have a potassium deficiency? I used to see a nutritionist for weightloss (his plan didn't work, thats why I'm here), and he insisted that I take potassium supplements while dieting. He said that the majority of american's are LOW anyway, because we don't consume enough fresh fruits and we do consume entirely too much sodium. Since the SBD doesn't allow the main sources (beans, orange juice, potatoes), its very possible that you're just not getting enough! Check out this article: http://www.web-street.com/thingsarel...agnesium.shtml .
Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #5  

Thank you all so very much for your imput, I truly appreciate it. Perhaps I will go onto phase 2 this week to see if it subsides. I am PMSing too so that is also part of the fluid retention but perphaps the patassium is low. I am taking multivitimans, calcium supps and omega 3-6-9 tabs that I read were essential. I'll keep researching until I can get to a Dr but I will try phase 2 and need be go back to phase 1 again. Thanks again you're all wonderful people.
Mary
Old 11-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Beans- legumes - ARE allowed on Phase 1. Try chickpeas or red kidney beans in a ground chicken chili. That'll up your potassium.
Since this plan has a slightly diuretic effect, especially with all the water, potassium deficiency is common and can cause muscle pain.
I hope the situation eases a bit over the weekend but a Dr visit or call seems in order.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:54 PM   #7  

RuthXXX to the rescue again, thanks. I think it may be a bit of the flu too because I am so weak and tired and there is a flu going around that causes these symptons. I don't want to do phase 2 without finishing phase 1 but I did have a banana tonight and even had a sweet potato to help give me a bit of a boost. I can't get into the Dr because I just started my job last Tues and I can't take time off already. I can't go on a lunch hr because my Dr is in a different city then my office so that is out of the question. I think I will just slip in a glass of oj hear and there and small amts of bananas to bring the patassium up a bit. I know these aren't allowed but I will go easy and see if they help. I have turkey chili in the freezer I will take out for lunch tomorrow, thanks for the advise Ruth, you and the others have been so helpful, I feel truly blessed to have found you all.
God Bless,
Mary
Old 11-03-2003, 06:07 AM   #8  

Just thought you wonderful ladies might like to know that with all your help I figured out my problem. I was patassium deficient. I ate a banana and sweet potato the first night then a banana with my breakfast the next morning and on Sunday morning I only had the swelling and soreness in my hands. Then I went to the pharmacy and got some patassium supps and took one and this morning I had very little difficulty making a fist and my hands were not numb all night like Frid night. I will only take the pat. supps until I am finished phase 1 this coming Sunday. I love this WOE so much I just didn't want to hurry it up by going to phase 2 before I was supposed to so I am glad I don't have to. Just thought you would all like to know. Wow, this has been a very scary 3 days for me, hope I never go through this again. Now that I think of it, this must be what my mom was suffering from when she was also suffering from lung and brain cancer and couldn't move her fingers well or make a fist or hold even a facecloth because the pain was so bad, had I known, live and learn I guess. Have a wonderful week ladies.

Mary
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good Monday Morning! I'm so glad you are OK now. Have a super week finishing Phase 1.
Closed Thread