South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 04:15 PM   #1  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down Margerine vs. Butter?

This was sent to me and I found it very interesting. What do you think? Lizzie

Subject: Fwd: MARGARINE vs BUTTER

This is interesting.. Make mine BUTTER Please! DO YOU KNOW.

The difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

Now for Margarine

Very high in Trans Fatty Acids. Triple risk of Coronary Heart Disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)

Lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.
Decreases immune response.
Decreases insulin response.
And here is the most disturbing fact.

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC...This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

YOU can try this yourself: purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something). It does not rot or smell differently, because it has no nutritional value, nothing will grow on it even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic.

Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:30 PM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Between margarine and butter i prefer butter, but it is better to use mostly olive oil etc. I think if you hardly ever use butter OR margarine it is healthier, and then WHICH you use doesn't matter so much.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:58 PM   #3  
it's always something

This is a common internet hoax message, and has been copied word for word.

Part of this IS TRUE. But the part about margarine being nearly plastic is not true.

According to Snopes (the Urban Legends website):

Quote:
Although a great deal of the information given in the e-mail is valid, one bit of intelligence is nothing more than hyperbole tossed in by the author in an effort to make his point more strongly. The claim that some comestible is but a "single molecule away" from being a decidedly inedible (or even toxic) substance has been applied to a variety of processed foods, but that type of statement (even if it were true) is essentially meaningless. Many disparate substances share similar chemical properties, but even the slightest variation in molecular structure can make a world of difference in the qualities of those substances.
There are several new margarines on the market now that are completely free of trans fatty acids. Smart Balance is one, and is recommended by a lot of doctors, including the cardiologist that created the South Beach Diet.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

Thanks Suzanne. I should have thought to check that out. I do the olive oil thing and also Smart Balance. But I must admit that I do like the flavor of butter. that last part about the 'plastic' is sort of like the hoax that was circulated about canola oil. Too bad that the originator had to add that plastic bit. (We have all learned about the transfat.) Maybe just to scare people. Lots of wierd people in the world. I think that we are all trying to be as healthy as we can in our choices. Lizzie
Closed Thread