South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 09:35 AM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default Close to the Fires....

I am not in danger of the fires in Southern California, but I am surrounded by them. I live in the San Fernando Valley, The Ventura Brush Fire is about 20 miles to the NorthWest and the San Bernandino Fire is about 60 miles to the East. This means that our skies are filled with smoke and it is raining ashes, even as far from these fires as I am it is so sad!!! The SB Fire was deliberately set as a joke by some teenagers!!!! It has burned over 10K acres!!!

It is a difficult place to live right now, we just are finishing up an heatwave (with over 100 degree temps in the last ten days), they are now announcing that there may be problems without power, we could experience power outages forup to 72 hours...so if I drop out for a while, that would be why..

We are still dealing with the transit strike and the grocery strike, its getting more and more difficult to buy food and traffic is adding 35% of time to any drice, over 200 people lost their homes yesterday, and they are saying that the number is much higher and they will be reissuing that number.....it is so sad to hear these stories abourt people who have lost their entire material lives....it is so devastating and heartbreaking to watch....my thoughts are prayers are for them..

So so sad......maybe we can all send them some good positive beach energy!!

Be safe this Fall day!!!!!

rb

It is a sad day here in So. Calfonrina!!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 09:48 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Rowan, how sad. Sending prayers and good thoughts to California.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:33 AM   #3  
Imagine...

WOW California really is in rough shape I will be thinking of you sweetie and pray that you will be safe.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:30 AM   #4  
Work in Progress

Thanks, they just came on and said that 2000 more homes are being threatened!!!! I am safe, I just feel so badly for these people....and we have a great fire deparment and Forrestry system that are tops in their field here and they are not able to do much......and they are working so hard....bless these men and women....
Old 10-26-2003, 12:47 PM   #5  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

YUP! VERY sad. Lots of good vibes going out to all the homeowners and firefighters in that area.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

Rowan, I'm sorry about your fires! I hope it is all under control soon. Good luck and be safe!

BTW, how did they find out the teenagers started it, did they confess?
Old 10-26-2003, 02:50 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Some prank All of those people who have lost everything won't think it was much of a joke.

Glad you are safe Rowan. We have a small group meeting tonight here and that will be one of the things on our prayer list. Lizzie
Old 10-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #8  

Rowan, We've been watching the horrible destruction these fires are causing. . The winds haven't helped and the humidity is so low. I too live in california, but I'm up by Sacramento.. We saw on the news where Northern California sent many trucks and firefighters to help out.. you are right, it is so sad.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 PM   #9  
Work in Progress

---thanks Lizzie, I am certain that they call can use all the prayers they can get right now....

jennifer, not sure how they found out about the teens, it was just on the news this AM, i will let you know if i hear more...

rb
Old 10-26-2003, 11:47 PM   #10  
Believe it & Achieve it

Stay safe...

I saw some of it on the news, how awful. (((((((((((((((rowan and all in california)))))))))))))))))
Old 10-27-2003, 12:40 AM   #11  
Captain of MY Destiny!

Rowan, our thoughts are with not only you, but all the people in California affected by this tragedy. And prayers go out to all the men and women working to control the fires, and to their families. Brave souls, all of them.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #12  
Work in Progress

I am worried about Goddess Jessica...she lives in San Diego, and they have their own fires....Jessica...if your out there, let us know your alright!!!!!

I feel badly, I am not in any danger, its just in my neck of the woods and we are being innudated with it, there are SO many of them....and us that are not in danger just feel so helpless to our neighbors....I know people that live in the SimiValley, Chatsworth area, which is only about 1 10 minute ride from me....

If we can pray for the winds to die down then the firefighters will be more effective....

Big fires mean that we will then deal with the more flooding this rainy season.....

Be well to all this Monday!!!!

rb
Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #13  
GARDENING ADDICT

First off, RB, your little dog is just too cute!!!!!

My family lives in Oceanside CA so I have been watching these fires closely. I just checked the updates on the San Diego online newspaper this morning. My family is not in any danger at the moment but there are fires above, below and to the West of their city.
My prayers are with everybody out there (families, fire fighters, etc).
Old 10-27-2003, 11:09 AM   #14  
Work in Progress

Hey Sil,
Thanks he's a cutie patootie!!! I can't get enough of him, I feel very fortunate that he choose me!

My grandfather lives in Escondido, and he is not in immediate danger, but he is close. I have a big SUV and I am on alert if something changes I will drive down and help him pack up things and get him out of there.

I am a little under 2 hours from him, so I hope thta I get enough time and that I can make my way to him if that happens, they are closing somany freeways and the airports are being closed in some areas, including San Diego.

rb
Old 10-27-2003, 01:04 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh dear! This sounds just horrible! There were pictures on the front page of the Ottawa paper today. I pray that all are safe.
Closed Thread