Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 04:07 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Update On Me

Hi To Everyone On the WLS Forum,

I have not posted in a about ten days but have visited here a few times.

I am now 16 days post op and have lost 20 lbs so far. I am pretty happy about this

Monday I am going to see my surgeon for my post op visit. Hopefully he will think everything is okay with me as well

I have to say that I am still struggling with the protein issues and the water thing. I don't think that I am getting enough protein even though it is my top priority in every meal that I eat. I tried one protein drink (several times) but it is so unappetizing I couldn't get it down As far as the water thing I have tried so hard but alot of times it just doesn't go down right. I take little sips but it seems to get stuck and then my stomach doesn't feel good

The program that I had my surgery through hasn't been really supportive at all and I am going to give this as feedback to the Doctor (he is the head of the WLS program). His nurse called me three days after I was discharged, but only after I called her about my discomfort and inability to eat. I haven't heard anything since then. Is this unusual? I don't need to hear from them every day but they do this surgery on you, give you all of these guidelines to follow and that's it

Well I won't complain any longer. I am alive! I am 20lbs lighter!
Life is good!

Thanks for listening
Old 10-25-2003, 04:59 PM   #2  
New Mommy!!

Kathy,
The first 8 weeks are the toughest so hang in there. GNC has a large selection of protein drinks. They have some fruit flavor ones too. I buy them and mix them with diet Kool Aid. The Kool Aid gives them a better flavor, and I usually drink 1 entire protein drink in a day.... that is with mixing it with Kool Aid. Some of the drinks have any where from 30-45 grams of protein in them. I like the grape mixes with grape diet Kool aid the best. Fruit punch mixed with Cherry Kool Aid is my second choice. Just ask the clerk at GNC for help.
Also Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast if another good source of protein, I drank alot of them at first usually for Breakfast.
Later on you can have protein bars.

Hang in there, the first 8 weeks are the roughest. Once you get past that you'll feel so much better.

I have my surgery 3/30/01 and I haven't regreted it for a moment!
It was the best thing I did.

Oh yeah.... Drink your Water with lots of ice at first. My doctor told me that the water will taste funny for several weeks after surgery, but the ice improves it... I found this to be true.

Keep in touch,

Derby
Old 10-25-2003, 10:49 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

the protein witch rides in!!!!! derby is right on lots of counts.. keep trying protein drinks until you find one you can live with. and some of them do indeed have lots of protein. but because we can't absorb more than about 20 or so grams at a time, those 40 gram whoppers are two servings for us!

and the water temperature!!! very individual. derby and i did great with the cold water, but i've known others who could only tolerate warm.

and the sf carnation breakfast is something you have to be careful with. by itself, it doesn't have much protein, but some folks add extra powdered milk and that helps. BUT. many of us develop lactose intolerance after the surgery, so this really major milk-based drink makes us sick.

soooo, keep trying., keep up the good work!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:27 PM   #4  

Gosh I love when the protein witch rides in. Sometimes I think that broom stick is permanently attached to her.....oh never mind! love ya jiff...I just couldn't let that one fly by. Besides, I happen to KNOW that she is away for a few days!!!

Kathy, try your best to get the protein drink in. I can't handle the milk so I mix mine with water and I put in about a tablespoon of sugar free chocolate pudding mix and mix it with some crushed ice with one of those hand held mixers. The fruit ones to me taste slimey. Everyone is different and it takes awhile to find what works for you...just keep trying.

As to the water temperature. I guess, once again, it proves everyone is different. When I first got home ice cold would make my little stomache seize up. I loved fruit 2o before surgery, now I can't stand it and live off of crystal lite lemonade

Hang in there Kathy, Derby girl is right...it gets MUCH better after 8 weeks!!!

peach
Closed Thread