Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 11:02 AM   #1  

Angry

Hello everyone,

I'm new! my name is Liz-- I'm from Southeastern PA. I'm married to Dave and and a full-time work outside the home mom of 2 (austin 5 and anna 2).
Well, I finally did it-- rejoined Weight Watchers (At Work), and tomorrow will be my third weigh in. I think I've done pretty well, all things considered. I haven't exercised every day, but I have done at least 2-3 days a week of at least 20 minutes. So far I have lost 2 lbs.

Anyway, I have two issues going on right now, which are somewhat related. This Saturday we are having 2 other couples over for dinner; they each have two kids (preschool to early elementary age). What should we have for dinner? I'm trying to work between something pleasing for everyone and also not too involved to prepare, as I'm a working mom and don't have loads of time to prepare meals.

The second issue is not really related to *my* weight loss but that of a work friend. She is quite obese (I'm guessing about 300 lbs?)
and "plays" at being interested in losing weight and getting healthier. Now while I absolutely recognize it is her right to decide if and when
she wants to do this she talks as if (weight-wise) she's absolutely no different than anyone else. Either she doesn't recognize this or is
in denial (I suspect the latter). Let me give you an example: We have an on-site gym here, and we're both members. She convinced me we both needed to go yesterday so we did. She did 15 minutes on the treadmill at about 1-3 mph and was totally exhausted when she got off. Of course, I understand that she would be and everyone has to determine their own level, but later she said, "well I told the director, I'm perfectly normal and can keep up with everyone else" or something to that effect. OK-- fine,
if you want to believe you're just as in shape as most people I can understand, but I'm worried for her healthwise that she may be fooling herself and then injure herself.

I guess I'm just not sure how to respond to her..of course I don't want to hurt her feelings. Do I just not answer her when she makes comments like this or downplay them? This is my gut instinct.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Liz
232/230/160
Old 03-21-2001, 11:10 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

My personal opinion on your friend is to let her bring it up but watch when you go to the gym. You'll be able to see signs if she is "going under."

As for the dinner what type of thing would you like? I've got a bunch of recipes (most are posted below) that are simple and have the points figured. Are you looking for kid/family friendly? or something a bit more adult dinner type?

Oh yeah before I forget Welcome!
Old 03-21-2001, 11:13 AM   #3  

Hi Kelly,

thanks for your welcome!

As far as dinners go, what I'm thinking is "kid and family friendly" (and easy!)

Originally, we had thought-- we'll just order Dominos Pizza-- but I know I'd eat more than 1 piece and blow it!

thanks.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:20 AM   #4  

Hi, Liz,
I have a couple of suggestions for the company meal. Something on the grill is always good (chicken, salad and dessert).

If you have a George Foreman, grilling some meat (chicken or beef) for frajitas is always good and let everyone make their own from a choice of toppings. Use LF wraps and no one need know.

I just recently grilled a whole pork loin on my GF that was excellent. Buy the premarinaded type, slice it in 1/2 lengthwise and grill 8 minutes. Yum!

When grilling hamburgers, I often have DH make mine a veggie burger and no one knows. Actually other people like those also, particularly with so many people going vegetarian, so you could offer a choice. Get lite buns for a choice too.

Everyone loves a trifle type dessert you can make look really decadent with only FF pudding, FF cool whip, and angle food cake. I make mine cappuchino by putting instand coffee in the vanilla pudding and top with a few chocolate sprinkle. Looks sinful but it's not. Of course chocolate is ever popular too and you could top with some strawberries or rasberries.

Can't help you with the friend question but I'll be interested in what responses you get.

I'm pulling up a thread "Need Dessert Suggestions" under Food and Points we had going a few weeks ago. Check it out. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
Paige

Last edited by Parsp; 03-21-2001 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2001, 05:06 PM   #6  

How about hot dogs and beans? You can serve everyone FF dogs if you think you can get away with it, or just make them for yourself and let everyone else have normal ones. We eat ours without buns (Hebrew National 97% FF, 1 pt/dog) cut up into vegetarian baked beans (2 points/half-cup). You could set up a "salad bar" as well so you can round out the meal with a salad but offer something like potato salad or coleslaw to the others (pick something you don't like!).

Depending on how young the pre-schoolers are, you could also consider a make-your-own meal--if they are too small and the moms have to make everyone's, it's no fun--such as sandwiches (offer a variety of breads including light breads at 2 slices/1 point and a variety of fillings including fat-free turkey or FF bologna) or tacos (I can get these VERY low in points using soy meat replacements such as Yves veggie ground round. With the taco seasoning, no one's the wiser.)

Or consider a big pot of spaghetti and a big bowl of salad. I measure out my 2 oz and boil it separately; then I use a nice low-point sauce like 5 Bros Tomato and Basil. You could have meatballs on the side for those who want them, and/or a selection of different sauces (from jars).
Old 03-22-2001, 08:52 PM   #7  

Hi Liz!! I am also a new member weighed in yesterday and have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I love this program so much freedom compared to anything else I have tried. I find myself trying new recipes every week. Usually picking a few and then making some on Sunday and freezing them for during the weeknights. I am a single mom and usually don't get home until close to 6pm--really easy to grab the first thing in sight while cooking dinner. That was the old way--now I keep pickles on hand and baby carrots, pepper slices whatever so I am not blowing it. I also try to keep a low point snack to eat around 2 or 3pm in the afternoon to hold me over until dinner.
I love the websites I have found and definately feel they help in between the meetings. Check out the recipes. There are tons and really has made me enjoy cooking again knowning that it is healthier for myself and my daughter.
Good luck!!
Marcia
HW: 256/ CW246/ GW--145 (not definate yet)
Old 03-23-2001, 11:18 AM   #8  
PartyAnimal&ComputerNerd

Unfortunately, it is going to take your coworker/friend to figure out for herself not only that she needs to lose weight, but that she wants to. The best thing for you to do, is to stick with the program for you... and when she starts to see how well you are doing, how your not necessarily restricted in your diet, and how happy you are... chances are she will start to think more about doing the program. After I lost the weight, people wanted to know how I did it. My mother joined and my best friend joined... and both were reluctant in the begining, but after seeing my success jumped on the band wagon. Both have been successful. Just stick with it for you and hopefully things will fall into place for her.

Best of luck on your journey!

Jules
Old 03-23-2001, 03:45 PM   #9  
Returning Member

Default Another newbie

Hi! I used to come here up until about a year or two ago. Now I'm back and going to my first new WW meeting tomorrow - wish me luck!

Kimmers
Old 03-23-2001, 05:20 PM   #10  

Whenever I have an event or party that I know will be filled with temptation, I fill up about a 1/2 hour before on low-points food. For example, have some fruit salad or a bowl of high fiber cereal--anything to take the edge off the craving and give you strength to resist the temptation.

If you can find frozen potato Gnocchi in the grocery store, it's very low points and very filling. Plus, people like it and it's not considered "diet" food.

Megan
162/155/142
Old 03-25-2001, 12:56 AM   #11  
Blondie34

Thanks Megan about the gnocci's I didn't know they were low in points. I love them. I am also pretty new here ;sometimes it is hard to find things on the web I was replying on anther thread but I can't find it I thik it was newsletter 23 I am not really sure. I am in my 8th week at weight watchers I have lost 20 lbsa. I really love the program. I am not sure what my goal weight is but I still need to lose at least50 lbs I feel much better already It is easier to do some thing bwetter already like walking up the stairs easier and tying my shoes well I hope to hear from all of you thanks for reading this bye for now Dee

Old 03-25-2001, 03:20 PM   #12  
Ready for a change

Default about your friend...

It's very hard when you can see a problem and the person who has it, can't.

Encourage her to be more healthy and active. Invite her to join you at the gym regularly (good for you both), tell her you'd like a partner for WW - maybe she'll join you for that too.

When she does realize how far she has to go to be fit and lean, it will crush her (I've been there, I know). Be supportive. Remind her she is more than her weight - she is a whole person and is good and worth love. She is also worth treating herself well - by nourishing her body and using it to its fully potential.

Good luck!
Closed Thread