Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:48 PM   #1  

Default got my pre op tests tomorrow

I was on my way back from bible studies tonight, wondering if I really want to do this. Honestly I think the biggest thing is waking up and wondering about the pain.

I know what to look forward too but I guess I can't imagine what it will feel like and I'm scared
Old 10-15-2003, 11:04 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

as with everything. the pain ends. not immediately. not tomorrow. but it does end.

it'll be ok. i promise
Old 10-16-2003, 06:57 AM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

sweetie, if you didn't have a little fear I would think you were nuts

just think of all those who have gone before you. go read obesityhelp, go to profiles and read, read, read, that's what I did. I found those from my area and read their stories. It kept my mind occupied and I even found a local support group that way. Which by the way is where I met Hazel, my good friend and walking partner.

If you need to vent, cry or whatever, we're here for you.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:07 AM   #4  

Good luck Purpleroses! You'll do wonderful. They have so many pain medications out there that you'll be fine. It was uncomfortable, but for me it was just like having my csection. I didn't take home a baby this time but I did take home a new me and its been a wonderful experience and one that I would do again in a minute. Welcome to the other side!!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #5  

purple roses

what are you fretting about you have all the pain medication in that bible you put away after your prayer meeting. look to the LORD and if there is pain offer to GOD do you know if you are having open or lapro i also had a c-section and that was much worse. what surprised me is the area that is affected when lapro is done it is under breasts and above belly button and i think that is why there was limited discomfort. if you have someone to pull you up for about the first five days it is alot better when you need to get out of bed or up from chair. i know i am looking thru rose color glasses b/c i did not experence any horror stories and they are out there but i got my strenght from the LORD and remember this too shall pass

later
bevmel
Old 10-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #6  

Well yesterday was a good day, I had my visit with the Dr. and I am having an open RNY. She has been doing this for 10 years. SHe has me going on a liquid diet as of Sunday, I almost fainted, I'm having a surprise party for my husband and I can't eat anything LOL oh well.

Dr gave me 4 different boxes one is peach tea, jello, chicken broth, fruit drink and they all have protein in them at least 15 grams. then I got more supplements and protein drink.

The Dr. was very good about telling me what to expect after surgery and told me she will go over foods with me that I can have. She then said welcome to the family because I will see her at least every month for the first year.

THank you Chris and Bev, I actually needed to hear how this surgery was in comparison with a c-section. I've had 3 sections so I should be fine. When the Dr asked how I had my children and I told her all sections she said I'll be a pro. That's what I've needed

I'm much calmer and I'm very excited. I can't wait to find me again!!! I will look forward to the day I can show you a before and after picture.

The woman at the hospital called me to discuss my health history and what I can and can't do before surgery.

My husband thought he should buy me a laptop so that way I could email all my buddies and go on the message boards....he's such a doll
Old 10-18-2003, 11:53 AM   #7  
WW Moderator

Purple, I haven't had WLS, but I did have a hysterectomy and tummy tuck with over 300 stitches, and the pain was bad, but controllable. It hurt really bad 'at the time' but when I look back on it, it just 'hurt'. I don't remember hurting for long (seconds or minutes maybe) at all before the nurse came with more medication, and then it all instantly went away. Nothing that doesn't pass soon, and nothing that hasn't been forgotten. Like Jiffy said, the pain goes away! If that is your biggest worry, then you'll do just fine!
Closed Thread