Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:32 AM   #1  
Divine Gal

Default Its Friday Yay!!!

Good morning Ladies.
I hope yall are ready for the weekend because I am.I plan on relaxing because this week has been so busy.I woke up this morning ready to weigh myself but looked in the mirror to see a bulging tummy.Oh boy TOM is almost here.I am bloated but in a good mood otherwise.Probably won't be after my meeting with Social Security this morning.But we shall see.
I will see yall later; have a great day.

*hugs*
lynnie
Old 10-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #2  
CIN

Default good morning!

Good Morning,
Lynnie.every day can be great if you choose to make it great!

It is supposed to rain here today but tomorrow is to be beautiful. I am glad because we are having a Fall Fesitval at church.........all outdoors!

I will check back later! I guess everyone is "grabbing their coffee"!
I am going for my second cup

Cin
Old 10-10-2003, 08:48 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good early morning Lynnie & Cin

Lynnie hope you rest well this weekend.
Cin, I just love Fall Festivals, but the one thing I do miss is the cider & donuts they make sigh ~ lol Have fun.

This weekend I have to return one of the wiggles dolls I bought Grace, the darn thing doesn't work and she's only had it 2 weeks. Gotta check to see if I kept the receipt OY! I need to get her shoes and stockings for church, so this will prob be on Saturday, Sunday I have no plans, catch up on house work maybe? ICK!

Some body out there BETTER!!! be having a fun weekend

Tomorrow is weigh day, I"m a crossing my fingers

Hugs !
Old 10-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #4  

I really don't have anything planned but I am going to see if I can find some decorations for the house. I am such a spring and summer person that that is all I have in the line of decorations for the outside of the house. I need to find some sort of things to go outside.

I just got off of the phone with my huuby and he isn't to happy right now. He wants to go see his mom in CA for Christmas but I had to tell him that I don't know where he thinks we are going to get the money for it. I will be starting school on the first of Dec so money will be really tight and then to top it off we have property taxes due on Dec 31. That is usually around $1,000. So now he is in a bad mood. I don't know what to tell him. I mean I do the best I can. Besides he said earlier this year that we weren't going to go so I didn't save anything for it. And now he is changing his mind. Augh, Men!

I hope you all are having a great Friday.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #5  

Default crawling back in bed

I'll explain more later!

Eliz
Old 10-10-2003, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Chickadees!

I'm just getting on the puter and trying to hurry and do payroll.

I've been at the doctor's office all morning, having a very thorough visit with the doctor (over an hour), and doing a bunch of blood work to check thyroid, iron, hormones and everything else they can think of to try to figure out why I've been feeling soooooooooo awful. He feels pretty sure that he will treat me for a low thyroid since I have most of the symptons but feels that I really need an anti depressant for a few months to get me back to myself. I told him I really don't want an anti depressant so we will see next week when all the blood work comes back and go from there.

Ok, I've got tons to do, but wanted to check in real quick.

Hope everybody has a great day and a wonderful weekend!

hugs,
Cathy
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #7  

Talking Ok, I'm gonna butt in

Cathy, I am curious. You are okay with taking thyroid medication it seems, but not taking an anti depressant. They are both medical conditions that require treatment. The newer anti ds will not make you drowsy or make you feel goofy.. err goofier in your case.

So 'splain this one.

Yeah, you drug me out of lurkland again.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I agree of course with Linny, you must treat one before you can treat the other.

Taking them for a few months isn't so bad, thats what I did. And you know I think it did kick me out of some major depression. But then again, with the winter upon us, I'm starting to worry if the seasonal stuff will come back..oy.

Esplain lucy !
Old 10-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Ok Linda (I'm so glad you came out of lurkland) and Leenie, I am gonna be completely honest with ya'll and do some splaining.

In no particular order here I go...

Thyroid meds costs about $10 a month. The anti depressant my son takes (prozac) is like $230 a month. That's the first biggie. We have no insurance and our medical bills last year were $12,000. We have to put a lot of these medical bills on a credit card. So I really can't afford anti depressants for me and that would have to go on a credit card also.

Also, this is embarrassing, but I have no sex drive, none, zilch, notta, and most anti depressants make that even worse, even tho the doc says he will prescribe one that shouldn't (that's what they all say lol)

As far as I know there are no side effects from taking the thyroid med (armour thyroid), but there are with the anti depressants.

I have taken the armour thyroid before (many years ago) and felt so much better on them then I do off of them.

Also, I don't care how "depressed" I am, that is not causing me to gain 10 lbs a year for the past 3 years, while I have continued to diet (eat healthy) and exercise. There is just no reason for me to be putting on this kind of weight and no reason for me to feel this bad.

Also the symptons of low thyroid that I have are excessive hair loss, dry skin, dry hair, hoarseness (there is no way that depression makes me hoarse all the time), low body temperature (mine is usually 97.4), being cold all the time except when I am exercising, cold hands & feet, anemia, fatigue, headaches, memory & concentration problems, slow pulse, and no outer eyebrows. I guess what I'm saying is that I feel sure that I'm dealing with a low thyroid and not "depression". That's my main reason for not wanting to take anti depressants, bec I don't think that is the problem.

It's not that I have anything against anti depressants when they are truly needed. I recognize that depression is a chemical imbalance just like sugar diabetes is and that meds are needed to treat the chemical imbalance (I learned that the hard way with my son), but I know myself, and just don't feel like that is what is going on. I realize I am "down" and don't feel like doing a thingl and that everything takes a huge effort on my part in order to get it done, but a low thyroid can cause that also.

I mean an anti depressant is not gonna keep my hair from falling out, or raise my body temp to normal, or take care of the other symptons I am having.

Ok this should be called "true confessions" or something bec I have now told you ladies more then I have ever told anyone face to face about myself (except the doc). How embarassing! lol But I guess I feel really comfortable with you guys and also I don't have to look ya'll in the eyes while I'm telling ya'll either. *yikes*

Any thoughts?

thanks for caring ladies!

Last edited by cathyxxx; 10-10-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:27 PM   #10  
CIN

Cathy
I had a lot of the same symptoms...even my daughters noticed a difference in my personality a couple years ago...........after a yearly physical.I had low thyroid and couldnt believe the difference a low dose made in how I felt & acted.

I totally agree that you are on the right track..............YOU have to be the best judge.no one else can.

I have not heard of anything but good side effects with thyroid meds. It seems to be a heridtary thing too.my sister,her daughter,My Mother<my Grandmother all had the same problem.

Thanks for sharing.

Cin
PS Linda T.great to see you too
Old 10-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #11  

HI

Just a quick hello I am off to work.....and have to hit the university on the way as I am taking a course in November.

Cathy I hear what you are saying and it sounds like you are being very sensible. Keep us posted!

My hubby is hypothyroid and the medication helped him a lot.....all he ever wanted to do was sleep....now on the medication he sleeps about 6 hours and day and copes well.

Cin how are the fingies?

Lynnie hope your day is looking up.

Kemp how do we become the bad "guys"?

Leens have a good weekend.....don't worry about the housework,,,,,have fun with Gracie.

Linda how's life?

I was at the doc's this am as well.........UTI major! Started on meds.....work was horrendos last night,,,,busy, sick people and one 20 min break in 8 hours....and peeing razor blades was no fun either!

Anyhow I dont' have much time so I will have to leave it at that.....looking forward to a nice long weekend off...and someone else is cooking the turkery....any other Canadians here??????

You never know who is lurking around the corner!

Eliz

Old 10-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #12  

Ok, I understand the money thing. BUT. If you tell this to your dcotor, she/he will most likely be able to provide you with sample packs of anti d at no charge. I have been given anti ds before by my doc and they were free. They get scads of free samples from the manufacturers.

Some anti ds can make you horny. Ask for that one. You do not know an anti d will decrease sex drive until you try it. We all have diff body chemistries and what decreases my drive might increase yours. There are ones that have more of a tendancy to do that, so don't get those.

I hope you aren't just treating problems that might help you lose weight. You should treat ALL of your problems. Isn't the big point to be healthier, rather than weight loss? Not that we don't want to lose.. but shouldn't health be the primary focus? Mental and physical health are equally important. Don't discount your mental health just so you can lose weight. it will come back to bite you in the rear.

If after you get on thyroid meds and if things don't change, I hope you will rethink your doctor's suggestion. If you have felt down for a long time, some times low dose anti Ds can get you over the hump.. just like Leenie.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:21 PM   #13  
Divine Gal

Cathy:

I also understand the money thing but I found a way to help.Its called Bridges to Access.Its a new program where if you can't afford the medication they will help you.You may want to look into GlaxoSmithCLine or something like that it produces the medications.

I get my paxil from them monthly via mailorder.

Also Cathy depression is not an easy thing to detect.My grandmother has a thyroid problem and takes medication but she is also bipolar.My aunt is going through the same exact thing and her dr advised the same.

And Cathy being depressed can make u gain weight because i didn't get this way from being lazy.I wish it was that though.Would have liked to lay in bed alot of days that I haven't.

I hope things get better for ya sweetie

Oh went to the doctor and I am up a pound but the dr also said i was retaining water.*Bloating* YUCK!!!!
My hubby has lost 39 lbs.He was at 450 now he is 411.

Last edited by lynnie24; 10-10-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:24 PM   #14  
CIN

Default Liz!

Liz
Sorry about the UTI.I have had one major one after surgery once and hope I never have one again!

My finger is fine as long as I dont bump the push pins in the top and sides of it! My hubby & I are learning how to change the dressing and clean around the pins twice a day. Wrapping it in a curved splint to protect the pins is a real trick and not allowing it to get wet......bothersome..but it could always be worse.

It is really kinda like cleaning ears when you get them pierced! The nurse who wrapped it yesterday didnt do much better than we did!

TTYL
Cin
Old 10-10-2003, 04:35 PM   #15  

My daughter is on SSI for depression and gets her meds free from her doctor. She gives her samples.

Greetings to all!
Closed Thread