Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:02 PM   #1  

Unhappy soy help!

I am new, but have been reading and following so much of your progress, and am greatly inspired and informed. I have been using weights on and off for a couple of years, but now have to lose about 30-40 lbs following the (not so recent -9 months!) birth of my daughter.

My ???:

Should I not be drinking Soy protein? I have been gulping down shakes with soy protein. I have read that soy is bad for metabolism...which has come to a grinding halt in my case. I am so confused....I looked at all of the shakes/bars at the store, and they all had soy listed as an ingredient.

Should I be concerned? I don't want to make my metabolism any slower than it is. I thought soy was good for you

Thanks for your time! If this question has been addessed before, I do apologize for asking yet again.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #2  

Maybe I asked in the wrong place. I'll try somewhere else.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #3  

Why do you drink the shakes? (for the convenience? the protein? meal replacement?) I've never heard of soy being bad for the metabolism (personally, if i were going to have a shake, I'd use a whey blend, but that's just me). Are you following any kind of structured plan at the moment? It may be helpful to give some insight on what you typically eat over the course of a day, to see if there are other factors coming into play. I can't imagine that the soy protein would be much of a factor either way, but maybe someone else here has a better (i.e. scientific) line of reasoning?
Old 10-10-2003, 05:01 PM   #4  

Thanks for answering, I drink them for meal replacement for weight loss purposes. With 2 little ones I don't really get to make a good meal for myself during the day. In looking for some information on protein shakes, I ran across an internet article stating soy can adversely attack your thyroid. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this, or if it is some bogus internet information. I guess I just found the soy shakes to be cheaper while providing adequate amounts of protein. But now I am rethinking this and was wondering if anyone had looked into this.

Thanks again!!! I am glad someone answered me!
Old 10-10-2003, 05:14 PM   #5  

The article was called Soy and Thyroid, but forgive me I don't know how to post the link. It was at the top of my search.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:42 PM   #6  

I've used soy shakes on and off for years, but more often as a fast breakfast that I combined with something else. There's much to recommend in soy protein, especially B vitamins, but I'd also ask about the rest of your meal plans. I think you will find a lot of information on the net about soy. I might suggest that you check out Dr. Pamela Peeke, Dr. Weill, Prevention magazine and other reputable sources of information. In the meantime, what else are you doing?

Airegrrl (aka Indiana Robin)
Closed Thread