Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #1  

Default Tricked into exercising

Sorry - I'm brand new to the boards...if this has been covered elsewhere and I missed it, I apologize (and could someone send me the link )

I admit it - I HATE to exercise. Sure, I pop in Mr. Simmons on occassion, or head out for a walk, but I generally don't stick to them because, well, I find them boring. However, if an activity I enjoy just happens to include exercise, I'm all for it! In fact, I hardly notice that I'm exercising (and getting all sweating, and panting, and generally doing all the stuff I hate doing in an aerobics class). I've been swing dancing for the past 5 years (100 lbs overweight or not! ha ha!!), and I've taken up indoor rock climbing which is sooo fun (even though I need the xxl harness).

So, my question is...do any of you have fun hobbies that trick you into exercise? I'd love to have more suggestions...if I could do all my exercise through 'activities', I'd be a happy woman!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:49 PM   #2  
it's always something

This may not be what you are looking for, but I LOVE my treadmill because it's the only time I can listen to music and daydream and not worry about what else I should be doing. It is actually the only time I do listen to music, so that gives me something to look forward to. Treadmill and music - can't have one without the other. I'm trying to train myself to believe that the TV and Glider also go hand in hand
Old 09-19-2003, 04:51 PM   #3  
it's always something

Oh, I do recall seeing a woman on tv a few years ago that lost a lot of weight by turning household activities into exercises. She exaggerated all of her movements by stretching harder and further, moving a lot faster, etc. She published a book about it, but I don't recall the title.

If I had to count on my housekeeping skills to get me in shape... Let's just say it's a good thing I have a treadmill!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #4  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

My favourite way to encourage people who hate exercise is to give them a stunt kite and a bean bag!

Sitting down and flying a stunt kite works your upper body big time! Twists, lunges, leans, resistance and stabilising work - it is all there.

But the lower body I hear you cry - well you usually have to walk to a site that is suitable for kite flying!

Most of my clients stick with it - but they also extend their walks and/or buy bigger kites! Everyone who tries it has fun, even if they only do it once or twice.

I know that there are lots of ways to trick yourself into exercising, so have fun, be creative and you never know, you could invent your very own activity and then you can market it to the rest of us!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #5  
deleted2

I love my treadmill, because if I'm walking I allow myself to watch something truly trashy on TV, and only then!

The motivation comes from doing it, every day [or most days] for the rest of your life. There was a time when I thought that I was one of those folks that simply didn't sweat, now I seek out oppotunities to perspire! I used to hate it, but now I cannot live without exercise.

Good luck!

Closed Thread